Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Wouldn't it be better if people in his position could afford their own coverage, and not fully be on medicaid? At least contribute something, using a private insurance company?
Not really. We all will be paying whether it be through taxes to cover Medicaid or increased premiums because of the additional costs of pre-existing condition coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
How many parapaligics work and can earn enough to pay for HI without a subsidy? For the less then 1% is it worth it to force the other 99% to buy a product they may not want or need?

My total HC expenses for the last 30 yrs were less then $7,000 . If I had to have ins it would have cost me $90,000 . Now I can get ins anytime I want but I could never get that $90,000 back.
It's not going to cost anywhere near $7,500 a year now. So people who are just starting out on their 30 year journeys are not going to pay $90,000 for coverage. I agree that paying 90,000 previously was ridiculous. So why don't you want the option to pay less?

And let's face it, you were lucky to not have needed it. If you had had an accident, your bill would likely have been way more than $90,000. Nobody can say with any certainty that they are never going to need it.

I got a bill for $21,000 3 months ago for one night in the hospital with a cat scan and a couple of tests. Chances are more likely than not that at some point you're going to have to go in for something.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Quote:
It's not going to cost anywhere near $7,500 a year now. So people who are just starting out on their 30 year journeys are not going to pay $90,000 for coverage. I agree that paying 90,000 previously was ridiculous. So why don't you want the option to pay less?

And let's face it, you were lucky to not have needed it. If you had had an accident, your bill would likely have been way more than $90,000. Nobody can say with any certainty that they are never going to need it.

I got a bill for $21,000 3 months ago for one night in the hospital with a cat scan and a couple of tests. Chances are more likely than not that at some point you're going to have to go in for something.

First off I wasnt figuring I would have paid $7.500 a yr I based it on $3,000 a yr. A reasonable figure.

Actualy I did have an accident. The ins co of the woman who hit me covered the costs.

For me their is no option to pay less. Only two in our household and we are quite a bit above the $90,000 income ( 400% of poverty level) to qualify for a subsidy. In my case the only option is to pay the same and a boatload more in taxes.
Thats the part everyone seems to forget about. If 80% of the population qualifies for a subsidy , that only leaves 20% of the population to pay for that subsidy. Would you want to be part of the 20% that chips in for the other 80% HI costs?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
First off I wasnt figuring I would have paid $7.500 a yr I based it on $3,000 a yr. A reasonable figure.

Actualy I did have an accident. The ins co of the woman who hit me covered the costs.

For me their is no option to pay less. Only two in our household and we are quite a bit above the $90,000 income ( 400% of poverty level) to qualify for a subsidy. In my case the only option is to pay the same and a boatload more in taxes.
Thats the part everyone seems to forget about. If 80% of the population qualifies for a subsidy , that only leaves 20% of the population to pay for that subsidy. Would you want to be part of the 20% that chips in for the other 80% HI costs?
Okay, sorry, my mistake on the math.

Auto accidents are not the only accidents, nor the only reason for insurance, obviously. Luckily the person that hit you had some form of it.

I am not opposed to paying for it if I can afford it. I'm grew up in a society with UHC so I'm not as freaked out by the concept as some.

What would you say the other increases in taxes are, exactly? I'm genuinely curious, not being snarky.

ETA - if you make over 90,000 and your insurance is only $3000 a year, why wouldn't you pay that? Do you genuinely believe it's worth the risk? Again, not being snarky.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:

What would you say the other increases in taxes are, exactly? I'm genuinely curious, not being snarky.

All these subsidys have to be paid for somehow unless the plan is just for the gvmt to put it on the credit card.

Out of all the reading I have done I have yet to see a plan on how to pay it. Saw some fruity stuff like a tax on medical equitmet manufacturers. Thats pretty lame , as they will just add the tax to the cost of their product therefore raising the cost of healthcare even more. Not realy all that different then charging a restaurant a tax to subsidize meals then the restaurant just increases its prices to pay the tax driving up the cost of the meal.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
All these subsidys have to be paid for somehow unless the plan is just for the gvmt to put it on the credit card.

Out of all the reading I have done I have yet to see a plan on how to pay it. Saw some fruity stuff like a tax on medical equitmet manufacturers. Thats pretty lame , as they will just add the tax to the cost of their product therefore raising the cost of healthcare even more. Not realy all that different then charging a restaurant a tax to subsidize meals then the restaurant just increases its prices to pay the tax driving up the cost of the meal.
So nothing concrete, then? I would also like to know the answer, if someone has actual knowledge.

I was assuming that the monies in penalties would go toward it? Does anyone know?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
So nothing concrete, then? I would also like to know the answer, if someone has actual knowledge.

I was assuming that the monies in penalties would go toward it? Does anyone know?

Nothing I have seen. Yes the penalties will go towards it. Thing is there will be so few . Yes there are cashiers , auto parts delivery drivers ect that are uninsured but a real lot of the uninsured live in the underground economy. Many are framers, roofers painters , landscapers , mower jockeys ect. People who havnt filed a tax return in yrs , if ever.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
Where are you guys getting the 3k a year premium cost? I pay for my own insurance. 1k monthly for family with 11k deductible obamacare compliant policy. People are going to unhappily surprised what the cost of health insurance is. The penalty won't even pay for 1 month's premium.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Nothing I have seen. Yes the penalties will go towards it. Thing is there will be so few . Yes there are cashiers , auto parts delivery drivers ect that are uninsured but a real lot of the uninsured live in the underground economy. Many are framers, roofers painters , landscapers , mower jockeys ect. People who havnt filed a tax return in yrs , if ever.
Okay.. so we don't know then.

I'm still curious as to why when you bring in over $90000 a year you wouldn't purchase $3000 in HI?

Aren't you worried about your assets? Can't the hospital come after you if you don't pay your $100,000 or whatever bill?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Where are you guys getting the 3k a year premium cost? I pay for my own insurance. 1k monthly for family with 11k deductible obamacare compliant policy. People are going to unhappily surprised what the cost of health insurance is. The penalty won't even pay for 1 month's premium.
If the lowest premium in your area is more than 8% of your income, you are exempt from the penalty. It's unlikely most will have a 1k a month premium, if I understand it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies