Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The penalty (sorry, it is now a "tax") for not signing up for Obamacare will be much lower than the premiums she'll have to pay if she does sign up. ?

So, is this new tax deductible on your 1040?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As we have reduced wages and transferred profits to the top few percent a single income cannot support a "standard" household.

IMHO - as almost everyone requires health care at some time in their lives the entire system should be owned and operated by a government agency and paid for with a high deductable income tax on all income from all sources. There is no need for private profit motives to distort and reduce the quality of the care.

Oh yes the very government known well for efficiency and no waste!
Brilliant!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I refuse to subsidize you fatties while I work hard to stay in tip top condition
Many people who participate in athletics develope all sorts of injuries and illnesses requiring medical intervention. I suspect you want everyone to pay for these.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
What about the millions of illegal aliens in this country who use Emergency Rooms as if they were the doctor's office?

How is the IRS going to make them pay the taxes? They can only work with fake/stolen documentation or under the table.

So tell me, how is that going to be enforced? If the government has the power to go after those people for their money, they will no longer have any more excuses not to deport them...because they will still be a HUGE burden to taxpayers one way or another...and in the long run, only deportation will be the answer.
Obama carefully exempted them from having to pay even a dime for the free health care he is giving them. It would really pay to just claim to be an illegal, maybe buy a matricula card, get completely free health care, no need to buy insurance or pay any stupid tax.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I posted this on the other thread but it got lost.. To help you with your budget try this:

What does the Supreme Court's health-care ruling mean for me? - The Washington Post

If you make 45K, under 26, 3 in family you pay a tax of $1,738.00 (It goes up in future years) if you don't purchase health care..

And since the Medicaid expansion got struck down......

I wonder if folks still think this was a grand idea?
I thought the tax was only 1% meaning if your bi-weekly check is $1,000, they'd only take out $10, doesn't seem like a tragedy to me (or am I not looking at it correctly?).

Last edited by Canaan-84; 06-28-2012 at 11:27 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 11:14 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
When your neighbor is struggling with the family budget, trying to figure out how much of what kind of foods to cut to pay for Billy's tuition next year
My parents didn't pay anything for my university tuition, it was all taken care of through FAFSA, student loans and grants.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Once we eliminate private insurance company overhead (lavish offices, salaries and bonuses) and profit we will then be able to do the same with private hospitals and pharma companies. Then we will be able to afford health care for everyone including the former overpaid executives.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,941,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRisingAgain View Post
If you can get one.
There are jobs out there. Whether it's through a staffing company or working at Walmart there are jobs. I understand the difficulty of a stay at home mom trying to get back into the workforce as well but there are definitely jobs out there it's just a case of either looking harder, sucking it up and being underemployed (especially if benefits are a factor) or starting your own business at home.

Yes it's easier said than done but most innovation comes from difficult times. I am lucky in the sense that we can afford for my wife to stay home with our daughter. That being said though she started her own business at home. Not making money hand over fist but she is trying. All things said good luck with you and your situation.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
You're assuming that employers will continue to offer health insurance. In fact many have already figured out that it will be more cost-effective to drop health coverage for their employees and pay a penalty for doing so. So the promise that Obama made that if you like your insurance you'll be able to keep it under Obama care is an empty promise. You'll be able to keep it only if your employer continues to offer it. When this shoe drops be prapared for the howls of anger and disbelief. And that's only the beginning of the unintended consequences of this law.
1) 2014 is 18 months away.
2) If Romney wins Obamacare is repealed right? Isn't that what he is saying?
3) You are assuming employers will drop coverage for employees. You have no idea what they are going to do. You are not from the future so until it happens what is the point of the fear mongering?
4) Employers want to retain the best people. Dropping their coverages won't do that.
5) Tax breaks for those who keep their employees covered.

Stop with the predictions of doom and gloom. No knows what is going to happen. It's all guessing from both sides.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF is getting a job supposed to accomplish? None of my jobs have ever provided health insurance, and tens of millions of employed Americans are uninsured.

FAIL.
Get a job. Have more money. Buy Individual Insurance (provided there are no preexisting conditions) for the family.

Was that really that hard? Employer subsidized HC is not the only way to get coverage and most of the time an Individual policy is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies