Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's why they have the penalty. It's not as much as an insurance premium, but you're also receiving nothing for it in exchange. I'm assuming the money goes into the fund to help cover care for low income people. If you get sick and you don't have insurance, you're right--you could sign up then--but you're still going to have to pay out of pocket for expenses incurred before your insurance is approved. If you're in a car accident or you have an acute onset illness, that might get more than a bit pricey --not a risk ANY RESPONSIBLE person would take. My husband was in the hospital a few months ago for kidney stones, and wound up having surgery within a few days because they wouldn't pass. It was a $40K hospital bill.

Assumption FAIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
That's why they have the penalty.
Collected from you tax refund, if you have no refund or adjust your withholding so there is no refund there is nothing to collect from. Matter of fact someone with insurance could drop it if they really wanted too.

Here's a question, the primary reason people didn't have insurance before is because they couldn't afford it. How is this law magically going to make them be able to afford it now?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Anybody see any holes in this idea? She can definitely feed her family better this way, than by remaining permanently signed up for insurance.

Why do any of us need to be signed up for insurance any more, before we actually need medical treatment?

Comment?

You need to be signed up for insurance for preventative care, pap smears, mammo's, prostate exams, periodic blood work, prenatal and postpartum care, health care for your children who's ears, throats, eyes bother them, health care for your adolescents, health counseling to prevent pregnancy if sexually active, elder care, UTI treatment for elders, preventing UTI's. THe list could go on an on and on. If you wait till you need medical treatment, the whole game can be over. THink prevention and treating things early before full blown symptoms appear. Also, people have emergencies anytime and anyplace. Some of the few reasons of why you need to sign up for insurance.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,652 times
Quote:
If you can afford to buy insurance and you choose not to, you are a DEADBEAT, and you tick me off because you're the reason my premium prices are going up--unless you're independently wealthy, I'm the one who winds up paying for your care if you're in an accident or have a major illness. If you can't afford to buy insurance, you'll be able to get into one of the state pools for more affordable care.

This has to be one of the most all time dumb threads I've seen in a while. What responsible person wouldn't buy insurance if they had an affordable option? There's nothing conservative about making STUPID, IRRESPONSIBLE choices.
Do you feel the same about the illegals who will keep getting free care at the ER regardless?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Assumption FAIL.
Really? That's what the penalty goes for--I said assumed accidently when I KNOW that's the case. You, on the other hand, know absolutely jack, but that doesn't stop you from talking anyway.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM

7,513 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Until about next week, when the liberal fanatics amend it to put in new collection mechanisms, enforcement procedures, etc.

As Nancy Pelosi said, "We had to pass the bill to find out what was in it." That's because there were a lot of things not in it... YET.

Liberal fanatics always pass only a part of what they want at first. Then they start putting more and more into it, later.

Remember?
No what will happen is you will be in a tax deficit and they have the right to attach your wages just like a normal person who doesn't pay their taxes.. You WILL pay one way or another.. but you will pay.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM

7,513 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Or they subcontract to a smaller companmy. Or start a second company doing the exact same thing.
Continue fetching water... WOW! You'll get your free health care for now.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Collected from you tax refund, if you have no refund or adjust your withholding so there is no refund there is nothing to collect from. Matter of fact someone with insurance could drop it if they really wanted too.

Here's a question, the primary reason people didn't have insurance before is because they couldn't afford it. How is this law magically going to make them be able to afford it now?
In 2014, if you're a family of four making $88K or under, you qualify for a sliding scale tax credit to help pay your insurance costs. It's a refundable tax credit, so you benefit even if you have little or no tax liability. The poorer you are, the less you pay for care, up until the point where you qualify for medicaid at 133% of the poverty level. The document I'm quoting also says it's paid in advance directly to your insurance company. You'll also be able to opt into low cost insurance programs through your state's health exchange.
Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions

Old 06-28-2012, 04:47 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you're in business you have justify increased expenses with increased profits. If i have 49 employees and need to add one employee it's not going to happen. Matter of fact adding 10 or 20 employees might not cover the increased expenses for health care. Why do I want to hire more employees to increase production if I'm going to make less than I was before, add another level of paperwork and if I'm in a market with a slim margin inevitably driving the cost of my product up possibly making me non competitive.

A lot of business are going to find it very hard to justify stepping over that threshold becsue if you all of sudden have to provide health insurance for 50 people that's a lot of $$$.
That's your hope. Sometimes your business grows in a way that you need more people, regardless if it equals more profit. I don't think cutting into profits of a few companies is something that balances out against the need of many more people to have access to affordable healthcare.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:10 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Quote:
If you get sick and you don't have insurance, you're right--you could sign up then--but you're still going to have to pay out of pocket for expenses incurred before your insurance is approved.
Sorry, but that's no longer true, under Obamacare.

Under Obamacare, if you have some illness or injury BEFORE you sign up, the insurance company MUST take you as a client and MUST pay for that previously-existing condition.

You didn't know this?

Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies