Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I didn't say that, and you don't seem to be sharp enough to understand the difference. I said you have to pay for the medical expenses you've incurred before enrollment. If you decide to skip out on insurance when you can afford to buy it, and you get in a car accident, you'll be responsible for the emergency care. You can pick up the insurance after you're injured, and the insurance company will have to accept you and cover your preexisting condition, but they're only responsible for your medical expenses AFTER you're enrolled. You will personally have to pay for the treatment you received before your accident and before you went on the insurance plan--the emergency care, the hospitalization, the surgery, etc. I'm guessing you'd have coverage about the time you're ready for physical therapy.
There are people today that do not have health insurance for one reason or another and drive.
This is not a scenario that will only happen under obamacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
I didn't say that, and you don't seem to be sharp enough to understand the difference. I said you have to pay for the medical expenses you've incurred before enrollment. If you decide to skip out on insurance when you can afford to buy it, and you get in a car accident, you'll be responsible for the emergency care. You can pick up the insurance after you're injured, and the insurance company will have to accept you and cover your preexisting condition, but they're only responsible for your medical expenses AFTER you're enrolled. You will personally have to pay for the treatment you received before your accident and before you went on the insurance plan
Yep, you'll probably have to pay for the ambulance ride, and maybe for the fees of the John-Edwards-type lawyer who chased it with his forms already filled out and got you to sign them before you even got out of the car.

Ambulance rides are pricey... they might amount to a whopping 0.001% of the total bill.

The solution might be to carry those forms, already filled out, signed, and predated, on your person just in case you get whacked and knocked unconscious. Then the ambulance chaser can simply register them, as long as the blood didn't obscure too much of the lettering, and you'll be covered before the gurney wheels hit the pavement at the hospital door.

Problem solved.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Please reference to the calculator in my post on page 1.. The point is not for those who make a life sucking the life blood out of the system..

Family making 45K, 3 people, No Health Care pays a penalty of $1,738.00..
Why they would qualify for 90-96% subsidization of their premiums by the Fed Gov.
Obamacare subsidizes up to 400% of poverty line.
Family of 3 can make up to $75K I think and government will cover 90% of their premiums.

Try a richer family for your example because in your scenario it's cheaper to get the insurance since Uncle Sam is paying for most of it.

FWIW there is a cap on the penalty...1% (2014) so their penalty is really $450.00, not $1738.00 like you posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_...on_Act_of_2010
http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/28/pf/h...orm-insurance/

Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Yep, you'll probably have to pay for the ambulance ride, and maybe for the fees of the John-Edwards-type lawyer who chased it with his forms already filled out and got you to sign them before you even got out of the car.

Ambulance rides are pricey... they might amount to a whopping 0.001% of the total bill.

The solution might be to carry those forms, already filled out, signed, and predated, on your person just in case you get whacked and knocked unconscious. Then the ambulance chaser can simply register them, as long as the blood didn't obscure too much of the lettering, and you'll be covered before the gurney wheels hit the pavement at the hospital door.

Problem solved.
Every insurance plan I've purchased took between two weeks to a month before the application was processed and I was covered, unless it was through an employer and it provided immediate coverage on the first day of work. Show me where in the law insurance companies are mandated to change that time period and offer immediate coverage on demand?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Please reference to the calculator in my post on page 1.. The point is not for those who make a life sucking the life blood out of the system..

Family making 45K, 3 people, No Health Care pays a penalty of $1,738.00..
Family making $45K will get subsidized.
If they pay a penalty it's 1% in 2014 so that's $450, not $1738.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There are people today that do not have health insurance for one reason or another and drive.
This is not a scenario that will only happen under obamacare.
That's right, but if everyone is covered, there are enough healthy people in the insurance pool to lower the risk, subsequently reducing or stabilizing premium costs. If most people are covered, the occasional idiot without insurance who goes to the ER isn't going to be as big of a drain on the hospital. There will always be deadbeat idiots who make stupid choices, but why would any responsible person refuse to purchase health insurance if they can afford it?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
Quote:
That's right, but if everyone is covered, there are enough healthy people in the insurance pool to lower the risk, subsequently reducing or stabilizing premium costs. If most people are covered, the occasional idiot without insurance who goes to the ER isn't going to be as big of a drain on the hospital. There will always be deadbeat idiots who make stupid choices, but why would any responsible person refuse to purchase health insurance if they can afford it?

What about the millions of illegal aliens in this country who use Emergency Rooms as if they were the doctor's office?

How is the IRS going to make them pay the taxes? They can only work with fake/stolen documentation or under the table.

So tell me, how is that going to be enforced? If the government has the power to go after those people for their money, they will no longer have any more excuses not to deport them...because they will still be a HUGE burden to taxpayers one way or another...and in the long run, only deportation will be the answer.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF is getting a job supposed to accomplish? None of my jobs have ever provided health insurance, and tens of millions of employed Americans are uninsured.

FAIL.
Or they don't pay enough for the employee to buy their own insurance

Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Maybe I don't know every loophole for providing insurance, but are you saying that pre-Obamacare, companies that were providing insurance when there was no penalty, are going to stop providing healthcare b/c there is a penalty?

Lots of existing plans will not meet the requirements of the new law.

Some employers will continue coverage and others will not.

To the consumer/employee it's a non-issue because no one needs insurance until they are sick.

No one can be denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition.

This will result in huge numbers of individuals and employers paying the fines/taxes for non-compliance instead of carrying a policy.

This will destroy private insurance as intended.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:13 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
That's just it, and you're exactly right. Most employers offer insurance now because they can attract better quality employees with it. There's no mandate for them to offer insurance now--why would they drop it just because they could pay a penalty cheaper than the cost of the premium? It doesn't even make sense.

If the approved plans are more expensive, many employers will drop coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies