Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:09 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Only fed funds for Obamacare can be withheld. Roberts ruled that the commerce clause cannot be used to any further extent.
That is correct. So instead of getting $2 billion for expanded Medicaid, they will just get $1 billion for existing Medicaid and their seniors will not be eligible for "donut hole" coverage for Medicare. But they will pay for it for the rest of us which makes this a sweet deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
Nobody cares. He can implement it or not. But the residents of his state are probably going to question why they are not getting the benefits of something they are paying Federal taxes for. Why doesn't he drop the state out of Medicare too? That way it will leave more for all the other states.
You mean the benefit of paying a tax? Thats all Obamacare is after all.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
I guess Bobby Jinal wants the doctors of Louisiana to flee to other states, and he wants the hospitals to suffer financially - all because of his obstinate political views.

If he doesn't want to accept federal aid, fine. Those of us in states like California will be happy to take the extra cash.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Obama is unlikely to win the election with his approval in the mid 40's given that no incumbent president running for re-election since Carter in 1980 has overperformed his approval rating in terms of the percentage of the vote he received (I still think Romney's chances are about 50/50 and Obama's chances are also, of course, about 50/50 for whatever reason...but you Obama supporters seem to be clueless about this reality). Even Democrats are now starting to realize Obama could lose. This is from the liberals' beloved HuffingtonPost: Dems: Obama Could Lose, Donors Better Get Moving

And, the GOP is very likely to have 50 senators even if Obama wins the election (and all it takes is 51 OR 50 plus a Republican VP to pass legislation repealing it using the reconciliation process...Dems could not filibuster), not that it would matter if Obama won the election though. And chances are virtually none for the Democrats to take back the House. And, if Romney is elected, even if Democrats were to control the House and/or Senate - the law provides that the president can simply issue waivers to states - and Romney has said that he would simply issue waivers on his first day in office to all 50 states.
What makes you think all 50 states will request waivers? California is not going to request a waiver.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
He could but why would he? ObamaCare is a copy of RomneyCare. I want to see him try to wiggle out of that one.
He would because he understands a massive tax increase is the last thing we need.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I guess Bobby Jinal wants the doctors of Louisiana to flee to other states, and he wants the hospitals to suffer financially - all because of his obstinate political views.

If he doesn't want to accept federal aid, fine. Those of us in states like California will be happy to take the extra cash.
Proof that most people who support Obamacare, doesnt even know what the hells in it..

Nothing stops the doctors from being paid.. nor the hospitals..

Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
He could but why would he? ObamaCare is a copy of RomneyCare. I want to see him try to wiggle out of that one.

obamacare is not a copy of romneycare. romneycare only affects the state of mass.

obamacare affects the whole country.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You know, that can be fixed without Obamacare.
As a matter of fact, my state did just that.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I might do that. I never go to doctors, no one in my family gets sick, I've never called in sick to work --- yet I'm paying these pretty large premiums but never meet the deductible, so I end up paying out-of pocket for whatever the rare time I've taken a kid to a doctor.

I have insurance for "just-in-case" but it's pretty costly. Hopefully my state will opt out, I could drop my insurance policy and continue to pay out-of-pocket for the little things but if someone does get sick, then it would be easy enough to move that one to an Obamacare state and then buy the insurance. No more mess about pre-existing conditions. What a deal!

I'm starting to like this Obamacare -- especially because I live in a state that just could opt out!
States cannot opt out of Obamacare. The ONLY portion of Obamacare that states an opt out is the part specific to expanding medicaid eligibility to more folks than today.

States must offer this for Obamacare:

They must offer the health insurance exchanges starting Jan 2014. if state does not implement this for residents, the feds will implement it for that state's residents. This is basically a menu of insurance plans to choose from and a way to sign up and pay for the plans.
the insurance in each state must allow children 26 and under on parents policy
the insurance in each state must allow everyone regardless if preexisting condition starting 2014, kids already get this now per obamacare
the insurance in each state cannot deny claims/cancel policy when someone gets sick. they already kicked in for Obamacare.
mandatory insurance for all starting 2014 and penalty if someone does not have insurance.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I might do that. I never go to doctors, no one in my family gets sick, I've never called in sick to work --- yet I'm paying these pretty large premiums but never meet the deductible, so I end up paying out-of pocket for whatever the rare time I've taken a kid to a doctor.

I have insurance for "just-in-case" but it's pretty costly. Hopefully my state will opt out, I could drop my insurance policy and continue to pay out-of-pocket for the little things but if someone does get sick, then it would be easy enough to move that one to an Obamacare state and then buy the insurance. No more mess about pre-existing conditions. What a deal!

I'm starting to like this Obamacare -- especially because I live in a state that just could opt out!
States cannot opt out except the medicaid expansion part.

If you choose to go without insurance and pay the penalty...you could be in a car accident, get pnemonia and need to be hospitalized immediately, have appendicitis or a heart attack or stroke, or get hit by a car or break your leg or back and need surgery immediately, or a slew of other sudden emergencies. You would need insurance in place to cover these sudden, large medical expenditures.

I wonder if there will be an annual sign up period for insurance, much like insurance sign up at work. If you get sick, you have to wait until Jan 1 for the new plan to kick in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies