Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
States cannot opt out except the medicaid expansion part.

If you choose to go without insurance and pay the penalty...you could be in a car accident, get pnemonia and need to be hospitalized immediately, have appendicitis or a heart attack or stroke, or get hit by a car or break your leg or back and need surgery immediately, or a slew of other sudden emergencies. You would need insurance in place to cover these sudden, large medical expenditures.

I wonder if there will be an annual sign up period for insurance, much like insurance sign up at work. If you get sick, you have to wait until Jan 1 for the new plan to kick in.
However -- apparently Jindal and Scott are refusing to implement Obamacare in their states. That's better than an opt out then since the opt out would only include the expansion of Medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It was fixed with Obamacare. If Obamacare is repealed, then these changes get repealed also. What kind of politican would repeal these?

1) preexisting conditions cant be denied
2) don't deny claims after a person gets sick (while collecting premiums and insuring them before they got sick)
What kind of politician? The one who couldn't find anyone else left to tax to pay for it.

The overwhelming majority of claims that are denied are due to fraudulent applications. If you misrepresent yourself on your insurance application, then the insurance company doesn't have to pay.

The issue with pre-existing conditions is that there is no end. When you insure an home or auto, there's a finite amount that is paid, and that is known in advance, and so a premium can be set to offset any potential future loss.

With health care, it is much more difficult, but at least you can focus on a ball-park figure.

Not so with pre-existing conditions. As an insurer, you don't know if it will cost $100,000 or $1 Million.

20% is in the ball-park, but 100% is not.

In a group environment, which is what you demanded and insisted upon having, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and so instead of penalizing 400 people to pay for one person, we simply exclude the one person who is the statistical outlier.

Now, if you had real, true, factual, actual, genuine, bona fide health insurance, instead of an health plan that everyone fraudulently "health insurance," then those statistical outliers could be lumped together and they could have health coverage.

See how that works? It ain't rocket science.

Scientifically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then how does Geico sell car insurance across so many state lines that it advertises on TV all the time.
They have an office in each State, and are incorporated in each State, and they comply with varied and myriad sundry insurance laws of each State.

Legally...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Ha Ha, funny... The last states that tried standing up to the federal government didn't turn out to well...
So? Who cares? That was then, this is now. I'd be proud to lead a crew. I could have a cease-fire with a new country created in about 90-180 days.

It's really just that easy.

Rebelling...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
one other thing, the states dont have to implement ANYTHING regarding obamacare until 2014 anyway.
Uh, but that assumes that The Boy Kingâ„¢ doesn't implement any Executive Orders to the contrary.

Implementing...

Mircea

Old 06-30-2012, 01:11 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Obama is unlikely to win the election with his approval in the mid 40's given that no incumbent president running for re-election since Carter in 1980 has overperformed his approval rating in terms of the percentage of the vote he received (I still think Romney's chances are about 50/50 and Obama's chances are also, of course, about 50/50 for whatever reason...but you Obama supporters seem to be clueless about this reality). Even Democrats are now starting to realize Obama could lose. This is from the liberals' beloved HuffingtonPost: Dems: Obama Could Lose, Donors Better Get Moving

And, the GOP is very likely to have 50 senators even if Obama wins the election (and all it takes is 51 OR 50 plus a Republican VP to pass legislation repealing it using the reconciliation process...Dems could not filibuster), not that it would matter if Obama won the election though. And chances are virtually none for the Democrats to take back the House. And, if Romney is elected, even if Democrats were to control the House and/or Senate - the law provides that the president can simply issue waivers to states - and Romney has said that he would simply issue waivers on his first day in office to all 50 states.
Obama could very well lose. The fact that he can't carry Mich puzzles me after he bailed out the Big 3. It's impossible to argue that anything is a slam dunk in this election cycle.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:23 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

So? Who cares? That was then, this is now. I'd be proud to lead a crew. I could have a cease-fire with a new country created in about 90-180 days.

Rebelling...

Mircea

Uh, but that assumes that The Boy Kingâ„¢ doesn't implement any Executive Orders to the contrary.

Implementing...

Mircea
I’m a realist and can tell you that the best indicator of future performance is past performance… If there was a past precedence regarding successful session from the union I’ll give your ideas a little more credibility… But there isn’t and neither the Louisiana National Guard nor any irregular volunteers they can muster will be sufficient to defeat the most power nation on earth… You can’t knock out an Abrams with a Remington! Not going to happen… Any redneck leader of a crew who thinks otherwise will most likely be used as an example of what not to do…

To a minority Obama is a boy king but to those with an education he is the Commander and Chief and leader of the free world…

I'm Shabazz310 and I approve of this message!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:26 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So you agree there is nothing at all wrong with Jindal's and other states opting out of Obamacare. I hope my state opts out.
It's his state... Hopefully the people he's screwing over votes him out... But I believe the only portion he can opt out is expanded Medicaid...

Old 07-01-2012, 12:10 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
obamacare is not a copy of romneycare. romneycare only affects the state of mass.

obamacare affects the whole country.
Do you think that stupid argument is going anywhere with anybody? It might work on dumb ignorant tea party types but to everybody else including independents it is not going anywhere. Mass is part of the USA. Romney implemented the program there and it has worked fairly well with something like 98% of the people there insured. That is why it was used as a model for ObamaKare. Most people get that. And those who don't will when the debates come around and Romney stupidly tries that line. I am sure Obama will correct him on it. And when the "say something nice about your opponet" time comes, Obama, if he is smart, will say "Mitt was a pioneer in healthcare reform and we are using his model for the whole country because it worked really good".

Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What kind of politician? The one who couldn't find anyone else left to tax to pay for it.

The overwhelming majority of claims that are denied are due to fraudulent applications. If you misrepresent yourself on your insurance application, then the insurance company doesn't have to pay.

The issue with pre-existing conditions is that there is no end. When you insure an home or auto, there's a finite amount that is paid, and that is known in advance, and so a premium can be set to offset any potential future loss.

With health care, it is much more difficult, but at least you can focus on a ball-park figure.

Not so with pre-existing conditions. As an insurer, you don't know if it will cost $100,000 or $1 Million.

20% is in the ball-park, but 100% is not.

In a group environment, which is what you demanded and insisted upon having, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and so instead of penalizing 400 people to pay for one person, we simply exclude the one person who is the statistical outlier.

Now, if you had real, true, factual, actual, genuine, bona fide health insurance, instead of an health plan that everyone fraudulently "health insurance," then those statistical outliers could be lumped together and they could have health coverage.

See how that works? It ain't rocket science.

Scientifically...

Mircea

They have an office in each State, and are incorporated in each State, and they comply with varied and myriad sundry insurance laws of each State.

Legally...

Mircea

Rebelling...

Mircea

Implementing...

Mircea
No it is not that easy. It didn't work out well for the slave states, especially Georgia that got burned to the ground and they had an army. You only have a "crew". And the weaponry they have now is so much more awesome!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Obama could very well lose. The fact that he can't carry Mich puzzles me after he bailed out the Big 3. It's impossible to argue that anything is a slam dunk in this election cycle.
Yes he could lose. So can the New York Yankees. But he has many more ways to get to 270 than Romney does. So I would not bet the farm on Romney. Michigan is a special case. Romney's father was the Governor there and he was liked and respected by many people there. The name still carries weight there. But I do think, in the end, Obama will carry Michigan.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I guess Bobby Jinal wants the doctors of Louisiana to flee to other states, and he wants the hospitals to suffer financially - all because of his obstinate political views.

If he doesn't want to accept federal aid, fine. Those of us in states like California will be happy to take the extra cash.
Maybe he doesn't want his state to go bankrupt like calif. is likely to do. Cities in Calif. are already declaring or are getting ready to, file bankruptcy.

Keep in mind the fed payment is ONLY for a couple of years then the bulk is the obligation of the states just as many other programs has been.

When the fed money runs out the states can't afford to carry the program anymore. Have you thought what will happen then?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
He could but why would he? ObamaCare is a copy of RomneyCare. I want to see him try to wiggle out of that one.
"ObamaCare is a copy of RomneyCare" this the talking point for Obama and his minions. The fact is they aren't even close to being the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies