Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:00 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,302,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Please tell me when the first firearm was invented (useable on a repeatable basis), and then please tell me when the first slave was a slave....

I'm waiting.....
In my town Chicago, which has had the most restrictive gun laws, rifles have been permitted, what wasn't permitted until recently was handguns, and to my knowledge, handguns weren't around during most of the slave trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Like what the Aztecs did to other groups before 1492? White people had NO corner on jacking up the Indians; they messed each other up too.
One of the reasons Cortez and his small group of men defeated the Aztecs is because he went south where the Aztecs took their captives and made allies of their victums. He had plenty of local support. That he didn't keep promises doesn't take away from the way the Aztecs were defeated partly out of revenge.

This has been learned form archeological evidence and local records, since Spaniards didn't admit it to the monarchy in their reports.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
No, if they'd had guns, they'd just have sold captured members of other tribes, surplus children, etc., into slavery.

Oh, wait.... That's what they did anyway. Oh, well...
Why does everyone act as if slavery was somehow ok just because Africans participated in it?

What does that have to do with the barbarity of the institution as it was practiced in the United States? The whips, the break-up of families, the taking of the language, culture, religion and customs of the people? That's somehow ok because Africans sold slaves too?

As i always ask, should i tell Jews to be quiet about the Holocaust because their fellow white Europeans perpetrated it? Should i tell the Bosnians to shut up about the ethnic cleansing of hundreds of thousands of Bosnian Muslims because Serbs are their fellow Slavs?

This is getting ridiculous.

As for the OP...thanks Captain Obvious.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:26 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,302,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
If Africans were armed, they would have never been taken as slaves!
Would this have made you sad???

Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,245,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Just remember that all you folks that love the idea of gun control.

Africa is one of the most violent and sadistic place on the planet. Can you say, Somalia? How about Africa War Lords grabbing the humanitarian supplies us U.S. taxpayers fund, to pay for MORE guns?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
And if guns just hadn't been invented, we'd have liberal Utopia and peace on earth and racism/slavery would be nothing but random letters.

Africa is one of the most violent and sadistic place on the planet, by the way. Can you say, Somalia? How about Africa War Lords grabbing all the humanitarian supplies us U.S. taxpayers fund?
LOL...violent and sadistic. Sure.

European history shows that they're much better. Let's just ignore 50-60 million killed in one war. Yea...that never happened.

That's why you're here...because Europe was such a paradise for your ancestors.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,692,774 times
Difference between a gun and a arrow/spear people . Like bringing a knife to a gun fight , literally.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 AM

170 posts, read 129,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I think this thread fits into the "well, duh!" category. Apparently the OP doesn't understand the entire purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to allow the people to protect themselves from a tyrannical government.

Allen West: "Every American should have to go out and buy a Glock 9mm" - YouTube
Wow.

During the slave trade large empires like Songhai, Zimbabwe, and the trading posts of East Africa fell. There was a political vacuum. I already posted this, but when there is a political vacuum violence usually occurs. Think of the fall of Rome. People try to assume power. Well, some tribes saw that trading with Europe for arms was the best way to ensure power. Europe at the time wanted slaves in the Americas. Thus, tribes gave slaves for arms to get more slaves. Those tribes would later become the ruling tribes of their subsequent nations. If you give more arms during this period, more violence is sure to follow. This is an obvious statement. People will try to protect themselves and also try to assume power. Which is fine for the individual, but socially will lead to trouble. This is the current state in places like the DRC, Somalia, and Yemen. Feudalism is the result. Warlords occur when there are many arms and a power vacuum. A central government is dependent on having the ability to control elements that would completely destroy it. For those survivalist types you might be appalled at that. However, the reason why we even have an internet is because of a central government. The fact is that a fair and balanced central government that has more resources than its populace, but is voted in and able to be changed by its populace is the best method. It ensures personal liberties as well as security. This is why governments exist in the first place. This is why democracy exists. We need to ensure security, but also ensure personal liberties. Economies grow best in stable environments. Hence why the most prosperous nations have low gun ownership. The US is an outlier, but when looking at states...those with lower gun ownership usually are more prosperous.

I like guns, but I only go out to a range and use them. They are not for self defense. They are simply a means to release stress for me. That's it. It's not at all a part of my politics. I don't care about restrictions on what type of scope I can put on or what type of cartridge. It's not a big deal. I shoot a few clay pigeons and a few cans (watermelons sometimes) and I'm fine. Most people who own guns and are robbed are not able to use their gun anyways. In fact, accidental gun death accounts for more fatalities than firing on a perpetrator.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times
The result would have been the same, since they were mostly captives of another tribe anyway.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:18 AM

170 posts, read 129,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The result would have been the same, since they were mostly captives of another tribe anyway.
No. We have recent examples to prove that theory wrong. Again just look at failed states anywhere in the world. Things would have been worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies