Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,433,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Is it possible that he just said something stupid or phrased it in a dumb way? I mean, I personally wouldn't have touched that issue if I were on the campaign trail and I'm surprised his campaign adviser let him go there. But idiotic statements aside, his policies haven't really been anti-business. Romney won't be any better, and I think you know that.
No, it is not a mistake. He is anti-business and his policies are anti-business. If you don't have a business than don't bother posting a word because you are talking out of your A**

Romney will be much better!

Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,229,258 times
Quote:
No, it's not class warfare. I'm not angry at millionaires; I'm just pointing out that they didn't become millionaires all by themselves, and it's good to have an economy in which people have more purchasing power than they do now, and it would be better if that purchase power didn't come in the form of credit but rather, disposable income. I thought this was something even conservatives might be able to agree on. Typically, they have, which is typically why I've sided with conservatives on at least some economic issues. I don't truly know what to call today's 'conservatives' however. They've changed.
Obama is not talking JUST ABOUT MILLIONAIRES,....it's quite clear that he addressed buisiness in general. Obama addressed the backbone of our nation,....the business community, large or small,....and told them that they are not unique, that they are not exceptional, that they are nothing more than the culmination of government leadership.

This man obviously has never put everything he owns on the line for an idea,...has never made a payroll, has never paid the taxes associated with businesses, has never laid awake at night worrying about how to meet the obligations of the next day/week/month/year. Obama is talking out his ass,...which is not uncommon....

Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,343,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
If you don't have a business your post should be deleted. You don't have a clue to what it takes and thanks to this administration, it is even harder.

If this is true, if its so easy why doesn't everyone do it and get rich? The audacity. Where was all the help when I started and running my business.

He just lost votes on that alone.
Well, I do have my own business and I've also run other people's business. Can I keep my posts?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,343,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Obama is not talking JUST ABOUT MILLIONAIRES,....it's quite clear that he addressed buisiness in general. Obama addressed the backbone of our nation,....the business community, large or small,....and told them that they are not unique, that they are not exceptional, that they are nothing more than the culmination of government leadership.

This man obviously has never put everything he owns on the line for an idea,...has never made a payroll, has never paid the taxes associated with businesses, has never laid awake at night worrying about how to meet the obligations of the next day/week/month/year. Obama is talking out his ass,...which is not uncommon....
It's like those who never serve in the military yet become president. I think the point is that you can hire people around you who have that expertise. The question then is, has he done that. I think he has. The next question is, has Obama done enough. I think he has not. I agree that both parties overlook the needs of small business. But you're deluding yourself if you believe republicans give two sh*ts about small businesses; they don't. They're out for Wall St. banks who will screw over small family-owned or sole-proprietors the way they screw everyone else. Check out the LIBOR scandal for further proof.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,236,223 times
Obama takes shot at business owners: "If you’ve got a business - you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen"

Just because that's what happened to him in his life, doesn't mean it's true for the rest of us.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,115,768 times
[quote=Arjay51;25197869]
Quote:

Funny how everytime Obama screws up and admits his true thoughts, his statement is "taken out of context". For a great orator, this seems to happen quite frequently.
Well, saying it was taken out of context is less insulting than telling us we are just not smart enough to understand it.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:07 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,433,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well if this is the case the President is making, that we're all part of business success, we should abolish salaries and go for percentage of profits instead.

Only seems fair..right ? Oh and you put in as many hours as needed to get the business off the ground.
Business fails to take off..well you now have to take as much risk as the owner which includes losses and out of pocket expenses.
Oh I love this idea!. If the business does well you win and are paid BUT since most businesses fail within 5 years, oh well, not only does the owner lose, the workers lose too and lets not forget about the business debt, "everyone" has to pay for that too. I LOVE IT!

Wait, I forgot, if the business does well, in exchange for your hard work you get to pay taxes.

Sounds like a lose lose to me. Why bother?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,343,374 times
I keep wondering what Obama's speech writer really meant for him to say. If it was what he said there is no doubt that he needs a new writer, or at least, a new teleprompter typist.

Those words will still be around when November gets here and he will have to eat them over and over as more and more small businessmen hear the words he said. This is one of the best bits of info the Republicans can come up with and they won't be letting it drop.

How many of you lefties think that there will be at least one Romney ad about this little speech no matter what he meant? I can't wait to see that ad and know it will be around for at least 4 more months. If Obama can keep hammering about Bain Capital I am sure that Romney can hammer on this words at least as long.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,115,768 times
Let me make sure I understand this. As a business owner, if I hire someone to do a job and pay them for their work that isn't enough? If I sell a product or service and someone buys it, I still owe them something? As a business owner/tax payer Iv' help pay for all the things taxes pay for, but I don't get as much credit for doing so as someone that isn't a business owner or or someone who doesn't pay taxes at all? I'm already paying taxes and paying people. Why do I owe more?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 PM

410 posts, read 343,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The workers those great men of independence hired didn't do anything for the company at all, huh? They contributed nothing. :roll eyes:

That attitude toward those who actually work to make you wealthy is the breeding ground of unions.
You lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
Those people "making you wealthy" are being paid for their labor and any other contributions they make to a company.
You liberals are amazing, but in a very sad, sad way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies