Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by small arms View Post
Where was everyone when I started my business? I could have used some help lol.
Yea, I'd like to know where everyone is when I wanna take a vacation, or a sick day! Hell just to work a couple hours less on a Friday before a 3 day weekend so we can leave a little early would be nice!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
15 pages of everyone "Going Gault"
You know, there are places in this world where the oppressive government doesn't take what's yours and put it towards services and infrastructure that have nothing to do with your success as a business person. I suggest all of the self proclaimed job creators here go for a visit or even move to one of those places. Your hard work should be enough to make you a success.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So it's all "me" while the business is getting off the ground, the long hours, the losses, etc. but the second it turns a profit it become "we" and the government is right there "to share the wealth" ?

Tell me this is not a page right out of "Atlas Shrugged"..go on, tell me.
I can't rep you again, but I've been thinking this for a while now. Almost word for word in some cases.. kinda creepy!!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So college professors don't have real jobs?

Safe to assume you are referring to Obama's time as a "professor".

Quote:
From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers has high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined.
Media Inquiries | University of Chicago Law School

If I drove an offical race car for about 15 minutes at 100 mph, would that qualify me as a race car driver?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help.

True or False?

There was a great teacher somewhere in your life.

True or False?

Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive.

True or False?

Somebody invested in roads and bridges.

True or False?

The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

True or False?

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

True or False?
Being you claim to know so much about it, How many businesses have YOU started?

YOUR business experience goes along to give you credibility.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
PICKETVIDEO) Obama - 'If you

Yes Obama, there are a lot of people out there working hard and while some do succeed and others fail, there are also those who actually do work harder than others to get to where they are. But what would you know about that? You want everything to be "equal". And we all know while yes you are POTUS, just what the hell did you do that was so great in your life? What the hell were your accomplishments besides community organizing (aka telling others how they should run things, etc)? Youve done jack squat.

sorry for the italics, its locked for some reason
I heard this on the radio and was flabbergasted. I mean he's pretty much reciting Das Kapital.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That sounds so anti-independence. This type of "the collective" talk along with "fair and equal" is going to kill any hopes for a recovery.

From another article:

President Obama: ‘If you
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.
Equality to liberals means everyone must be equal in misery.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And huge government subsidies and give aways, see Trans-Continental Railroad, and substantial European capital investment.

ProQuest Document View - The Atlantic West| Cowboys, capitalists and the making of an American myth
You do know that railroad tycoons were also called robber barons?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robber_...(industrialist)

They bought their representatives and congressmen much of the way lobbyists for "special interest" do today. They also used cheap Chinese and Irish labor (serfs.) The lions share of government injections of cash have always been to line the pockets of friends. Spurring technology and industry was a side benefit.

Let's take Obama's quote in context. Using his example, the internet was created by the government. Not entirely true. It was a joint effort between the government and universities. It was originally called ARPANet, and then DARPANet, and finally the Internet (WEB.) When Gore invented it, twenty years ago, it was mainly used to pass electronic communications and text pages in a secure redundant way.

It wasn't until being "opened" (the basis for OPEN SOURCE) to the public that it was developed (through private investors, VC, internet bubble) to what we use today. You can give the government credit for little of the internet. I thank IBM for making network interface and packet switching a reality.

When a business is started, sure someone usually helps. Banks, VCs, savings, parents... but, the goverment? Not so much. In order to get government help you have to sign your soul over to them, defeating the entire premise of helping.

Obama revealed his true belief, that we can't survive without the government running every aspect of our lives. He couldn't be more wrong.

I bet EVERY small business owner started yelling at the TV when he said what he said. I know I did.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Now even his noises aren't sounding as sweet as they did just a few years ago. More like fingernails on a chalkboard these days.
I never thought Obama made "good noise" I've always thought it sounded more
like fingers on a chalkboard Hell, Andrew Young could give a better speech in his hey day.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
15 pages of everyone "Going Gault"
You know, there are places in this world where the oppressive government doesn't take what's yours and put it towards services and infrastructure that have nothing to do with your success as a business person. I suggest all of the self proclaimed job creators here go for a visit or even move to one of those places. Your hard work should be enough to make you a success.
Another "this place is still better than other places" broken record.

You know what, unlike two decades ago, there are now a string of better places than here. Countires that strived to be more like the US, while the US strived to be like Europe.

You'll say: "good riddance let them leave" or "don't let the door hit you on the way out"

If you drive enough "job creators" out, you'll be left with one giant Detroit. But hey, at least Detroit isn't as bad as some places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies