Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 02:46 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times

Advertisements

The problem with Conservatives in interpreting the Constitution is their insistence that the document be taken literally without taking into account the changing times. Absolute idiocy. The fact that the Founding Fathers assumed that slavery would always exist, or that human beings were deserving of being enslaved, just goes to show that their perspective must confined to the context of the ignorant times in which they lived, and the document must be updated with the more common sense view of those who are not ignorant and bigoted.

Republicans and Conservatives don't want any regulations on guns or any bans...which as usual is the wrong view. Pubs are on the wrong side of the 2nd AM argument.

These times call for some serious regulations on guns, and a complete ban on certain weapons. It's common sense, but this country has long been hampered by its more narrow-minded, backwards Conservative segment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 05:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well seeing that it is an actual law, I am sure you can read up on it to get a better understanding why it was created.

Why doesn't that law prohibit me and my guns are to automatically disappear?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:43 AM

107 posts, read 181,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What on earth does that mean?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The problem with Conservatives in interpreting the Constitution is their insistence that the document be taken literally without taking into account the changing times.

Ya, it is called an amendment. To change the Constitution. The very Constitution that chains the federal government. It does not chain down, We The People.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonpartisan1 View Post
What on earth does that mean?

You're not keeping up with the conversation...
Fully automatic machine guns.

If they are illegal to own, why do I have 3.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:57 AM

107 posts, read 181,852 times
Quote:
Here is what you said:

Quote:
It doesn't seem to make any sense.

Quote:

Dunno, but are you now saying that it's impossible to break the law?

Old 09-21-2013, 06:09 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
The problem with Conservatives in interpreting the Constitution is their insistence that the document be taken literally without taking into account the changing times. Absolute idiocy. The fact that the Founding Fathers assumed that slavery would always exist, or that human beings were deserving of being enslaved, just goes to show that their perspective must confined to the context of the ignorant times in which they lived, and the document must be updated with the more common sense view of those who are not ignorant and bigoted.

Republicans and Conservatives don't want any regulations on guns or any bans...which as usual is the wrong view. Pubs are on the wrong side of the 2nd AM argument.

These times call for some serious regulations on guns, and a complete ban on certain weapons. It's common sense, but this country has long been hampered by its more narrow-minded, backwards Conservative segment.
Yet another fallacious argument, Lexus. Conservatives are not the only ones who support the 2nd Amendment, nor are they the only ones who believe that gun bans make no sense. As for serious regulations, we already have those.

Quote:
...the document must be updated with the more common sense view of those who are not ignorant and bigoted.
Then start a movement to amend the Constitution. This is the only valid way to approach this issue, yet I don't see anyone putting any effort into an attempt. Why is that?

Old 09-21-2013, 07:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:

I wasn't with you when you obtained your three automatic weapons. So I don't know why you own them.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Yet another fallacious argument, Lexus. Conservatives are not the only ones who support the 2nd Amendment, nor are they the only ones who believe that gun bans make no sense. As for serious regulations, we already have those.

Then start a movement to amend the Constitution. This is the only valid way to approach this issue, yet I don't see anyone putting any effort into an attempt. Why is that?
Actually there is another approach to this issue.

The Supreme Court who interprets the Constitution as applied to law in accordance with the dictates and mandate outlined IN the constitution, has ruled that reasonable restrictions ARE constitutional. The results are that there has been no anti gun legislation on the Federal level but in reality the pro gun advocates have been getting their ass handed to them on the state and local municipal level all over the country and the NRA is not lawyering up to challenge any of the State legislature bills. Some of them, like California's latest gun control law are absolutely bat-crap crazy anti gun legislation but get passed because no one from the gun rights group will sit down and be part of the legislative process in formulating the legislation.

Bottom line and the REAL elephant in the gun control issue. Gun rights advocates will continue to get the shaft on the local and state level until they realize they need to be part of the process if they want to be part of the solution.
Parroting bumper sticker slogans such as "Shall Not Be infringed" or " Criminals don't obey laws" will no longer diffuse the situation nor turn back the tide of gun control.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:56 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Actually there is another approach to this issue.

The Supreme Court who interprets the Constitution as applied to law in accordance with the dictates and mandate outlined IN the constitution, has ruled that reasonable restrictions ARE constitutional. The results are that there has been no anti gun legislation on the Federal level but in reality the pro gun advocates have been getting their ass handed to them on the state and local municipal level all over the country and the NRA is not lawyering up to challenge any of the State legislature bills. Some of them, like California's latest gun control law are absolutely bat-crap crazy anti gun legislation but get passed because no one from the gun rights group will sit down and be part of the legislative process in formulating the legislation.

Bottom line and the REAL elephant in the gun control issue. Gun rights advocates will continue to get the shaft on the local and state level until they realize they need to be part of the process if they want to be part of the solution.
Parroting bumper sticker slogans such as "Shall Not Be infringed" or " Criminals don't obey laws" will no longer diffuse the situation nor turn back the tide of gun control.
Neither is bending over to receive it... are there reasonable restrictions... sure... are they asking for that? Hell no... end of conversation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies