Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
While guns are allowed in Norway and Switzerland I think regulations are so strict in those countries guns may as well be banned because there's no way the average citizen can just purchase one.
In Switzerland, all men between 20-30 are effectively conscripted into the military and given a gun for them to keep at home. And anyone who passes what amounts to a background check, can buy a gun. And this background check isn't required for gun sales between private individuals. Basically, the gun laws are the same in Switzerland as they are in the United States.

They can take their guns to shooting ranges, to gun shows, or out hunting. But a public "carry permit" is pretty rare.

The problem is that, the majority of people who kill with guns in the United States also don't have a "Carry permit"(most states its concealed carry, but some states allow open carry).

So effectively, if the United States had the gun laws of Switzerland, I don't see how gun crime would be any less.

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you are really missing the point of my post. And that was, the UK has violent crime rates about four times higher than the United States, but murder rates about three times lower than the United States.

The United States has about 15,000 murders a year... 90,000 rapes per year... 80,000 assaults... 400,000 robberies, 1.2 million vehicle thefts, and 2 million burglaries.

If you apply the UK equalization of statistics. That would mean the number of murders in the United States each year would drop from 15,000 down to 5,000, thus saving 10,000 lives a year... But the number of rapes would quadruple to 360,000..assaults would go to 320,000.. Robberies to 1.6 million... vehicle thefts to 4.8 million, and burglaries to 8 million.

If you break down the numbers, then for each life saved.. It would cause 27 more rapes, 24 more assaults, 120 more robberies, 360 more vehicle thefts, and 600 more burglaries.

So the question is, would you allow 27 rapes, 24 assaults, 120 robberies, 360 vehicle thefts, and 600 burglaries, to save one human life?

How many rapes exactly is worth one human life? How many robberies are worth one human life?

I always think liberals are sort of hypocrites when it comes to gun laws. They seem to be so obsessed about gun control, supposedly because they want to desperately save human lives. They'll even complain about how guns cause suicides.

Yet, liberals also advocate for abortion and assisted suicide. I guess killing yourself with a gun is bad, but killing yourself through euthanization is good.

Why are liberals so obsessed with living anyway? I thought they were all atheists, and believed life was effectively pointless. Why the obsession with life? I mean, go kill yourself, who cares, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
The framers of the US Constitution back in the 1780s had their reasons for placing the 2nd Amendment into the Constitution. They were as follows:
The original framers believed in the right to bear arms because they were terrified of a foreign invasion by a European power, attacks by Indian tribes, violent rebellion by black slaves and settlers needed to kill animals for food and clothing. These reasons for arming citizens might have some merit in 1789 but not today.
There's a process in place for amending the Constitution. First you need a 2/3rds vote in both US Senate and House. I guess you might dream of getting it through the D-Controlled Senate, but you would have zero chance in the R-controlled House.

Then it requires ratification by 38 of 50 state legisltures. Good luck with that. It's not tough to come up with 13 states where there would be zero chance of ratification, starting with my own state of Washington, in spite of being deep blue, all-dem-all-the-time. 15 years ago a US Atty here drafted and proposed a state initiative (ballot measure) calling for what he said were some 'modest' gun control measures. It went before voters and lost 71% to 29%.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
How many guns do you own?

more than 100, but less than 400.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
There will always be men with little willies who want big guns.

so what do you tell the millions of women with pistols, rifles, shotguns and military lookalike rifles, also misnamed assault rifles?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:52 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
The second amendment has nothing to do with self defense or hunting. The second amendment is a protection against tyrannical government, and it still fulfills that function to this day. Just look at the trouble we're having fighting an insurgency in Afghanistan, there's no way the feds could (or would) engage in a full scale war against one or more states if they left the Union. The second amendment is just as relevant today as it was in 1789, and even if you disagree, there isn't nearly enough people that agree with you to change anything.
The second amendment being about protection from a tyrannical govt. is just your opinion and nothing more. Why is it that some people in this country have a bizarre idea about the evil govt. doing this or that to them? The Brits,Aussies,Japanese,etc. don`t seem to have this irrational fear.You can be sure that the world`s most powerful military would wipe out the Walmart militia by noon if they wanted to but why would they want to? If we have a tyrannical govt. it would be because we VOTED for a tyrannical govt. That`s what we do here,we vote. They`ll be no watering of some tree of liberty by somebody`s blood.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The second amendment being about protection from a tyrannical govt. is just your opinion and nothing more. Why is it that some people in this country have a bizarre idea about the evil govt. doing this or that to them? The Brits,Aussies,Japanese,etc. don`t seem to have this irrational fear.You can be sure that the world`s most powerful military would wipe out the Walmart militia by noon if they wanted to but why would they want to? If we have a tyrannical govt. it would be because we VOTED for a tyrannical govt. That`s what we do here,we vote. They`ll be no watering of some tree of liberty by somebody`s blood.
The Supreme Court shares that opinion........

Old 12-16-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:

walmart militia? tell that to the army of vietnam. I think the US military probably thought they were walmart militia as well.

no offense to the vietnam vets intended.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:26 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,445 times
Quote:
Yes YOU did, I didn't, and near 1/2 of the country don't even bother anymore...

Lets say 1% of the 300,000,000 guns are in in the hands of "The Walmart Militia", thats 3 million well regulated militia...

There will be many more than that with nothing left to lose and every reason to fight...

Old 12-16-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Yes YOU did, I didn't, and near 1/2 of the country don't even bother anymore...

Lets say 1% of the 300,000,000 guns are in in the hands of "The Walmart Militia", thats 3 million well regulated militia...

There will be many more than that with nothing left to lose and every reason to fight...

all it will take is for the batf(f-troop) to go into 1 home and murder the owner and their family. then all the rest of the gun owners will know to shoot 1st and ask questions later. sooner or later the feds will run out of employees.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:46 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Women make up a major proportion of purchasers of handguns - BIG and small.
Count me in.... . Though I live in one of the safest states in the country. I cannot afford NOT to be armed. I mostly do so because of my toddler. It is just her and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies