Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I didn't read the article--I usually do--but I didn't this time. I was wrong about the time line. When I'm wrong, I admit it. That said, who, anywhere, is talking about raising corporate taxes and making business owners more responsible? My personal income taxes are based on my salary at the business, just like the salary I'd get anywhere else if I wasn't an owner. Lots of people pay personal income taxes to support the infrastructure needed for business, without ever owning a business themselves or benefiting in the same degree from the services. That's the point--we all pitch in together. My employees personal income taxes help go toward the roads and bridges that my business needs so it's possible for me to provide that employee with a job. We don't do it alone.
Obama for one, most if not all of the Dems in the house & senate for another. You need to pay more attention to what's going on in politics!

Yes, so the money you make, your bring home, goes to paying taxes for the roads and infrastructure. Your business's taxes go to paying for those same things as well. The money your business pays it's employees gets taxed and the money goes for all of that too. And everyone, whether they pay taxes or not, benefits and uses the roads and infrastructures equally. No one uses them more (without paying for them) than anyone else. Those that do (i.e. the trucking industry) pay a HUGE amount, that goes directly towards the roads themselves.

So, how is it that it makes any difference? Why did obama say "you didn't build that, someone else made that happen?" Everyone knows that we ALL (well, not all, but most) pay for the roads and we all use it equally, so how do the roads help ME more than they help the homeless guy on the street, or the employee at the bank? Why should I be more thankful for the roads and schools than anyone else in the world? Simply because I had the guts and courage to start a business? The roads didn't help me, teachers in school (both public and private) didn't make a damn bit of difference in my life ever, I never got a government grant or even received a small business loan... so why should it matter if I'm using the same roads as everyone else?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's the point that you seem too dense to get--you don't have to be a democrat to despise (and I mean really truly despise) the tea party, and what you radical religious extremist nut jobs have done not only to the republican party, but to the country. You need to get the h*ll out of the party--the sooner the better--so we can rebuild back into the common sense, main street oriented leadership that we were until recently. I've moved independent this year. I plan on voting a straight R ticket on local races, largely because our state party and local politics haven't been taken over by you nuts yet. On statewide and national races, I'm taking it race by race. If the R is a crackpot, I'll either not vote, or hold my nose and vote D.
Maybe, just maybe, instead of listening to the crazies here on C-D or on MSM, why don't you go to a tea party rally and find out what we're about. The tea party has nothing to do with religious radicals. Sure there are some who claim the Tea Party flag while spouting this or that, but the reality of it is, the Tea Party is about fiscal responsibility, less taxes, and less government. That's it! Nothing more and nothing less. It's amazing to me how many people obviously have no idea what a group is about, but spout such hatred anyway.

The reason so many politicians want to "claim" to be a Tea party person is because of the grassroots power we've exhibited, that NO OTHER group, without a Union or Major party player backing them up could claim to have. The OWS group can't even keep themselves out of jail, let alone a coherent plan out, and they are backed by huge unions!

My advice to anyone who claims that the tea party is "ruining the country and the republican party", is to actually LISTEN to the Tea Party, not some a$$hat on TV telling you lies. You might just be surprised at what we have to say and what we can do.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
The roads didn't help me, teachers in school (both public and private) didn't make a damn bit of difference in my life ever, I never got a government grant or even received a small business loan... so why should it matter if I'm using the same roads as everyone else?
The point is that you didn't learn to read and write on your own, someone helped you. You did not build the roads you use, and the athletes didn't become the best on their own, - some one helped them, and they also did not build the venue, they just came there to compete, Americans built the Olympic village, the stadiums etc with American tax payer money.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LOL. Now we are getting the FOX spin thrown in, and no one knows what was really said anymore ....

Let's compare what they really said:

Romney: You Olympians, however, know you didn't get here solely on your own power, For most of you, loving parents, sisters or brothers, encouraged your hopes, coaches guided, communities built venues in order to organize competitions.

Obama: If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges.

They are practically identical, and both making the same exact point.
Except Obama went on to say that he knows people who think they are so smart, and they work hard. Well there's a lot of people who are smart and work hard. If you've got a business, you didn't build that, somebody else MADE THAT HAPPEN.

This is where the problem lies... Romney says in his speech that "we've already given the athlete's praise, now lets thank all the people who helped get where you are". He didn't insult people by saying that they think too highly of themselves for no reason, nor did he say that the athletes didn't get there by themselves, someone else made it happen!

No matter how you try to spin it, it won't work. It's easy to tell when someone is insulting you when they are speaking... a little harder on the internet, but when you here it straight from the horses mouth, there's no spinning it into something it ain't... "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig".

Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
"You didn't earn that." would be a direct t*t for tat.
I knew the right wing spinners would be ready with a defense. Example 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Big difference between the two. For one thing,everyone knows that no man/woman/transgender is an island. of course they had people who helped them succeed/ PEOPLE,not the government. You know,like their employees,people who loaned them money,customers. If you can't see the difference you are either stupid or a partisan.
Example 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So what, he used a transition in his speech to turn the topic around to compliment and congratulate the loved ones, coaches and community, who helped the athletes. Politicians always do this, even when they welcome home returning soldiers from the battlefield, they manage to find a way to transition the speech to thank the service member's families and loved ones at home.

Romney was not full of condescension like Obama was, when he spoke a pant-load of snark last week, when he belittled and insulted business owners.

Is this supposed to excuse Obama? LOL
Example 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Saying people should thank their parents and siblings is quite a bit different from saying people should thank government...
Example 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The difference is Mitt isnt trying to chop up the Olympian's gold medal and give most of it to others...
Example 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Well, by your own admission the government wouldn't exist without taxpayers. Your problem is that you and Obama have the two backwards, LOL!

Romney is correct. Olympians haven't entered the paid workforce and haven't paid taxes. Business owners have paid for the infrastructure that everyone enjoys. They also pay for those that don't work and contribute nothing!

Does that make it clearer for you?
Example 6

Wow...you guys must've all received the right wing talking points memo at the same time this morning.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yes, I'm sure Romney means that the teams should thank the gov't for providing the roads to get them there.

Or thank the gov't for paying for the Olympics.

2002 Olympics to Cost US Taxpayers $1.3 Billion:

Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
You know DAMN WELL, that is NOT what Obama even indirectly said!
Both what Romney and Obama said are correct.
Just go away.
"Just go away"?

You wish.

If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,797 times
When Romney's 2002 comments get as much press as Obama's attack on business, then get back to me.

This is a non-event except for those who wouldn't be voting for Romney anyway.

The OP admits he doesn't like either party, so he just slings crap in an attempt to justify wasting his vote in November.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Good grief! Is he and his campaign REALLY that stupid?
Yes.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Well, by your own admission the government wouldn't exist without taxpayers. Your problem is that you and Obama have the two backwards, LOL!

Romney is correct. Olympians haven't entered the paid workforce and haven't paid taxes. Business owners have paid for the infrastructure that everyone enjoys. They also pay for those that don't work and contribute nothing!

Does that make it clearer for you?
Nope. Not for the 2002 Olympics!

Quote:
A report from the US General Accounting Office (GAO) detailed how government funds were disbursed and assigned. As reported on page 36 of the GAO document, of the $1.3 billion, only $254 million (20%) provided for activities related to planning and staging the games. The remaining $1 billion (80%) were used mostly for highway and transit projects that Utah and Salt Lake City officials wanted to have completed.
2002 Olympics: Romney’s $1.3 Billion Salt Lake Pork-Barrel | Veracity Stew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies