Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 10:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The way the Chinese were treated when they first arrived in the US was pretty darn awful. They were used as cheap labour in building the western half of the Trans Continental Railroad. Sure they weren't slaves, but they were subject to racism and with their cheap wages, they had to pay for their own food and board. Plus, Chinese immigrants weren't allowed to bring over their wives. They were only needed for menial labour and never got any welcome to stay in the US as equal citizens. Americans just wanted to use the Chinese for cheap expendable labour and for them to go back to China when the railroad was finished.

The Asian experience is really not much different from what the blacks went through. Just like the blacks, Asians can't blend in with the general population due to their skin colour and facial features. And another thing in common is that for a long time, many Asians and blacks in the US lived in urban areas, and in areas that the whites no longer wanted to live in.

So not true!!! The Chinese, Japanese and Koreans were NOT given any refugee money. In WWII, the Japanese Americans were thrown into internment camps. Perhaps you are thinking of the Vietnamese boat people in regards to getting refugee money.

Asians pool their family resources, work two full time menial jobs and are willing to live in crowded conditions in order to attain their goals. And when we don't have the money, we don't waste it on stupid bling in an effort to show others that we are "ballers".
Asians didn't have it any worse than Irish, Germans, Polish, Italians. Many Irish came over as indentured servants -- but that is not the same thing as slavery for many generations. I have ancestors that were indentured servants but so what? They were not slaves and the color of my skin never forced me to ride at the back of the bus or stay out of a restaurant. Nor my parents or grandparents -- so my family experience is quite different from my friend's, whose parents like mine took a honeymoon to Florida but had to sleep in their car along the side of a road because they were black and couldn't get a motel room.

I'm just saying -- immigrants come over here by their own free will -- obviously it's not so terrible for them here or they wouldn't be flocking here. Slaves were not given any say and were not given the same advantage -- which is freedom.

Just like you don't see immigrants from Barbados doing all that badly here, very likey they are every bit as successful as Asians. It has nothing to do with skin color.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM

629 posts, read 773,004 times
My wife is from the PI. Both of her parents immigrated to the PIs from China. She went to Chinese schools and her family mostly associated with the Chinese minority in the PIs. So while she is Filipina by nationality she carries in her Chinese blood and much of that culture. She never went to college in the Philippines because she had to run the family business from the time she was 13 until she was 26. This involved 7 day weeks 12 to 16 hour days in Manila where it is very dangerous and competitive.

When she came to the US she was not eligible for means tested benefits and I supported her through college. She took up Accounting and spent most days in the computer room studying (most of the time) for up to 18 hours a day. Ive never seen anyone work as hard as my wife at their studies. When she took tests and exams she never left the room before time was up, of they gave her 2 hours to take the test she used every minute before she turned her test in. She graduated Summa *** Laude got her CPA and is knocking down 6 figures over twice what im making

I married her exactly 10 years ago almost to the day. She has also had 2 beautiful children who are also doing very well in school, has cooked 1 to 2 meals a day everyday as she works massive OT and basically has taken control of her office at work.

Hard work is the answer. Whether its studies, occupational, or even competitive sports Asians out work everyone else

Old 08-04-2012, 10:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Asians didn't have it any worse than Irish, Germans, Polish, Italians. Many Irish came over as indentured servants -- but that is not the same thing as slavery for many generations. I have ancestors that were indentured servants but so what? They were not slaves and the color of my skin never forced me to ride at the back of the bus or stay out of a restaurant.

I'm just saying -- immigrants come over here by their own free will -- obviously it's not so terrible for them here or they wouldn't be flocking here. Slaves were not given any say and were not given the same advantage -- which is freedom.

Just like you don't see immigrants from Barbados doing all that badly here, very likey they are every bit as successful as Asians. It has nothing to do with skin color.
But what you are claiming here is victim status for something that happened over 100 years ago.
Go back to only the 60's and that's 2-3 generations ago.

Yet this is the reason 18 year olds drop out of school, can't get work, etc ?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 AM

629 posts, read 773,004 times
The one that ticks me off is the glass ceiling. While other minorities are being given a free ride to the top to increase the numbers for the purposes of affirmative action Asians over represent themselves at the top and hit a glass ceiling at middle management

Old 08-04-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But what you are claiming here is victim status for something that happened over 100 years ago.
Go back to only the 60's and that's 2-3 generations ago.

Yet this is the reason 18 year olds drop out of school, can't get work, etc ?
You cannot wave a magic wand and fix all the problems of an 18 year old kid whose mother was on welfare and grandmother was on welfare and now there are no jobs for him either because he must compete with the entire world for a job here.

Asians and other immigrants have the advantage of having jobs in their own country and also they can take the jobs in this country. Our American people don't have that. If unemployment is high here -- there's no where to go as other countries protect their people and their employment.

The only way to fix the problems of the underclass of the USA is to get them working. That's not happening.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,176,212 times
Quote:
You cannot wave a magic wand and fix all the problems of an 18 year old kid whose mother was on welfare and grandmother was on welfare and now there are no jobs for him either because he must compete with the entire world for a job here.

Asians and other immigrants have the advantage of having jobs in their own country and also they can take the jobs in this country. Our American people don't have that. If unemployment is high here -- there's no where to go as other countries protect their people and their employment.

The only way to fix the problems of the underclass of the USA is to get them working. That's not happening.
You seem to constantly disregard personal actions as a cause for anything. You say that if Black students drop out of school at an abysmal rate, then that's the fault of slavery and Jim Crow?

The truth is: people create their own success and failures here in America. If a person makes poor life decisions then he will suffer the consequences of those poor decisions. It just happens to be that Asians, on average, make better life decisions than other groups, such as attending school, graduating and pursuing higher education, being law abiding, paying bills on time, saving money and so on. All those actions lead to success in life. Asians, for the most part, understand this. It's pathetic that others choose not to understand this.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 PM

632 posts, read 1,181,480 times
I'm not sure about other Asian groups but for Indians and Pakistanis, (Indians more so than Pakistanis), we tend to go where the money is. It's rare to see someone pursue a journalism major as opposed to becoming an engineer or pursuing a Finance degree at NYU in hopes of landing a lucrative job.

We also tend to be close-knit and tend to support others that are like us. For example, Patels (who may or may not be related to each other) are Gujarati and they tend to support each other by helping out with networking, giving advice on careers, offering jobs and internships to each other, and being a support system for their own.

It's also in our culture to be hard-working, to save, and to eventually start your own business. You can say that the entrepreneurial spirit is in our blood.

I can only imagine how successful other people could become if they had a sense of identity and created their own support system to help each other out.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:41 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,314,624 times
Quote:
It didn't exactly end 150 years ago. The field workers were released en masse - but then what did they have? They still had Jim Crowe laws, they still couldn't use the same drinking fountain, many were denied a good education, they still couldn't get hired in many jobs. Even today, Obama is busy getting illegals their work visas but is doing absolutely nothing to get American kids into jobs. That's just another generation that won't make it.

I also blame the liberal politics and of course the government handout programs which isn't like giving someone a job and it keeps them jobless and at the bottom. Many social problems become generational.
Majority of construction workers in the south were black, as were railroad firemen. Min. Wage priced them out, this was supported by white unions in America, Canada, and south Africa.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:

That's right..with their lack of education no other country would take them.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Majority of construction workers in the south were black, as were railroad firemen. Min. Wage priced them out, this was supported by white unions in America, Canada, and south Africa.
Yes -- and blacks today cannot get jobs in construction or many other such jobs because they are pretty much exclusively for the illegals now -- illegals will gladly work for less than minimum wage and so are preferred.

However -- if you want to pay less than minimum wage, you have to hire illegals, you can't hire a black or white if you even wanted to and if they would accept $4 an hour because you must pay citizens legal wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies