Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So very true. Plus culturally, they would not want to bring shame upon their family by having children out of wedlock, collecting welfare or unemployment. That sort of behaviour is just not acceptable to them.

I also think that the strong Asian work ethic makes Asians more appealing as potential employees. We don't call out sick frivolously just to use up our sick days and when we are at work, we work harder and more conscientiously that most other races and cultures. And Asians are proud of their work ethic, just as I see other groups proud of being slackers and taking advantage of the system. I've seen this at all the jobs I've held.

If I ever owned a business and needed to hire employees, I know who to hire and just who to avoid....
Actually, Asian women will buck that trend when they are partnered with caucasian men. I know two Asian women who have out of wedlock children with White men.

Also, I have experienced cronyism with Asians in the workplace. Years ago I had an Asian manager who tried to discredit my work (and did other nasty things to try to get me fired) in order to place another Asian in my role. Fortunately for me the high quality of my work performance was well-known by the owner of the company and higher level managers (not to mention the fact that the Chinese girl that my former manager wanted to replace me with spoke with choppy English and was not a true team player)

Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
How come people can't have a conversation without some guilt-ridden liberal coming along to inject race into it?

This is a thread about Asian-American culture. Go feel sorry for less accomplished ethnic groups in another thread...
Injecting race? How does one "inject race" into a thread precisely about race?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
No, I think it is only a dig, if you choose to see it that way. Why must a discussion of societal segment necessarily be a dig at another? Trying to deivert attention away from the overall discussion?
Fine -- if people would at least be honest.

Asians come over with every advantage. Like the Hmong and Cambodians, if they come over without a dime, they are handed all kinds of welfare handouts and refugee assistance. They never faced slavery or institutionalized racism.

If you really want to talk about people as groups, then you have to look at what their group endured as opposed to other groups. Asians never suffered here -- they were never brought here against their wills, they were never enslaved, never denied a thing here.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Plus -- since this is a dig at blacks -- as a group because people like to judge others by their race group not as individuals, the Asians immigrants and all immigrants did not have the same history of slavery and institutionalized racism in this country.

Asians come over and are handed all kinds of refugee money, most arrived after the government safety nets were well in place. Many are bright enough to learn English and adapt well -- but they also as a group they've had a lot of advantages that blacks never had. Many Asians come over to take the programming and other computer jobs that Americans won't do. Many come as highly paid physicians. There is no history of Asian slavery in this country so really Asians like other immigrants have no excuse at all to do poorly.
What a bunch of excuse making BS. Asians are successful because of their behavior.That's why we do well in America. On every metric that correlates to success, Asians outperform other groups. We have the highest rate of marriage, the best credit scores, the lowest rate of welfare use, the lowest crime rate and our children perform well in school and actually value an education.

Proper behavior leads to life success. Losers blame others for the failures caused by their own actions. Winners see others that are successful and emulate that behavior.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:45 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Plus -- since this is a dig at blacks -- as a group because people like to judge others by their race group not as individuals, the Asians immigrants and all immigrants did not have the same history of slavery and institutionalized racism in this country.

Asians come over and are handed all kinds of refugee money, most arrived after the government safety nets were well in place. Many are bright enough to learn English and adapt well -- but they also as a group they've had a lot of advantages that blacks never had. Many Asians come over to take the programming and other computer jobs that Americans won't do. Many come as highly paid physicians. There is no history of Asian slavery in this country so really Asians like other immigrants have no excuse at all to do poorly.
some asians may have received refugee money.. Not all nor even most.
Some left countries where conditions were as bad or worse than slavery.
I think that it had been demonstrated that the majority of blacks are as successful as any other race in this country.
The reason asians appear to be so successful is simple. Because most are but more than that Asians are personally very conservative and nonconfrontational. They dont advertise their failures or feel that it is acceptable to not plan their lives.
Someone mentioned that they only hire their own. Very true for the most part. If we are talking an asian resturant. Hire a mexican and train him to work the wok or hire someone who is already an ace?
Another issue is people go to an asian resturant they tend to like authentic. Me? I want good food reasonable price and I dont care if I am sitting on a plastic bucket holding my plate on my lap. Its only natural that they hire other asians for these positions. Finally the asian work ethic is well known. I would guess they know about it too. Asian kids are raised to be in independent, work hard and dont make excuses. Their down fall in private sector is thiernonconfrontational behavior, they almost refuse to stand up for themselves if someone is screwing them over.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Stereotypes of a race are usually built based on the typical actions of the majority of that race.
There's always exceptions but it's the majority of what they do, how they act, etc. that build the stereotype.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
What a bunch of excuse making BS. Asians are successful because of their behavior.That's why we do well in America. On every metric that correlates to success, Asians outperform other groups. We have the highest rate of marriage, the best credit scores, the lowest rate of welfare use, the lowest crime rate and our children perform well in school and actually value an education.

Proper behavior leads to life success. Losers blame others for the failures caused by their own actions. Winners see others that are successful and emulate that behavior.
Well a Chinese guy at work had to ask me how to work out a math problem -- so I really don't buy into all the wonderful stereotypes of them.

How about we bring Asians over as slaves and make them work for free for a few generations, buying and selling them and then have some Jim Crow laws for some more generations and then see how they do as a group.

Again -- all immigrants should be doing wonderfully here because they have absolutely no excuse as ethnic groups not to do well. If immigrant groups cannot make it here, they should not be here.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM

1,300 posts, read 961,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
It is more than that and much simpler it is work ethic and pride. Something other minorities and much of the general youth population knows little about. Work ethic and personal pride and individualism. They also generally wouldn't vote for a democrat in exchange for a sustenance bowl.

Work ethic, family values yes.

But individualism is definately not part of asian culture.
Also fwiw, they vote democrate at greater rate than whites

Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Fine -- if people would at least be honest.

Asians come over with every advantage. Like the Hmong and Cambodians, if they come over without a dime, they are handed all kinds of welfare handouts and refugee assistance. They never faced slavery or institutionalized racism.

If you really want to talk about people as groups, then you have to look at what their group endured as opposed to other groups. Asians never suffered here -- they were never brought here against their wills, they were never enslaved, never denied a thing here.
You are obviously very ignorant of history, so you should quit while you are behind. Chinese were denied property ownership and burdened with higher taxes, Japanese were interned and had all their property taken away, Filipinos were lynched and many other Asians faced indignities here in America. The reason you are probably unaware of these facts is because Asians don't constantly make a big deal about the past and focus more on the future and our own personal success. That's a mentality that other minorities should try to copy.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
At the end of the 1800s, Japanese Americans owned 90% of the farm land in California. Asian Americans went to segregated schools in west and still outperformed their white peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies