Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times

Advertisements

It would resemble the first 2 years of Obama, where he got everything he wanted, and the country went into the toilet.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
^This!
Theyhad control of the house and senate mid term pof bush last term besides. one has to ander just where the Op has been for the last goig on 6 years.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:17 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The government is not an individual. The government controls the money. They can print money. They can issue bonds. You cannot do that. So why would you be so simple minded?
I don't understand your point. If printing money and issuing bonds are an easy solution, why didn't EU bailout countries do this instead? Do you not believe there is a limit to how much money can be printed or bonds issued?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:26 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,951 times
Default Democratic Control of White House, House and Senate: What would the results be?

dem·o·crat·ic

[dem-uh-krat-ik]

(adjective)
pertaining to or of the nature of democracy or a democracy.

2. pertaining to or characterized by the principle of political or social equality for all: democratic treatment.

3. advocating or upholding democracy.

[source] Democratic | Define Democratic at Dictionary.com

#2 is an interesting idea, do you think it'll catch on?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:21 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
The government is not an individual. The government controls the money. They can print money. They can issue bonds. You cannot do that. So why would you be so simple minded?

So here is reality. Congress created laws in which people are qualified for certain programs. Those programs are GROWING because people are getting older. Spending will increase. If you slow done the rate of growth you have cut spending.

Again, we just had this very situation happen not very long ago. The first bush raised taxes. The Clinton raised taxes and put on spending restraints, and those actions led to a balanced budget combined with a booming economy.
Funny how liberals forget that Clinton got crushed in 1994 and had to work with the adults in Congress and then, later, after he sexually humiliated Hillary and lied under oath about it he had to do what the fiscally prudent GOP said to keep his job. That gave us a very temporary "surplus".

But anyway, the government should just use your solution and print up $100 trillion. That will erase the debt and deficit and leave trillions left over for all kinds of zany social engineering programs.

What could possibly be the downside of that?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and toss in 5 progressive Supreme Court Justices.

How would such a make-up of our government affect the United States after, say, two presidential terms like this?

I think America would more resemble this town...

Berkeley, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I suspect it would look more like Detroit or Chicago....

Old 08-04-2012, 07:24 PM

7,514 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Jobs!!!!!
Your $hitting us right? Wait, I get it! Your talking about liberal jobs like welfare, food stamps, etc.. Christ, you had me worried.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 PM

40 posts, read 21,483 times
Well its a good thing we won't have to worry about it. GOP will have the house and senate and democrats will have president. Which means hopefully can jam things up for another 4 years and get nothing passed which is probably for the better for Americans.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:05 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
I don't understand your point. If printing money and issuing bonds are an easy solution, why didn't EU bailout countries do this instead? Do you not believe there is a limit to how much money can be printed or bonds issued?

EU? I didn't write anything about easy. I wrote nothing about the EU.

I don't believe in much of anything. Do I think there is a limit. Yes, everything has a limit, but I think the MARKET should decide the limit, not ideology or fantasies. The MARKET is telling the US government to issue more debt.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,226 times
Quote:
EU? I didn't write anything about easy. I wrote nothing about the EU.

I don't believe in much of anything. Do I think there is a limit. Yes, everything has a limit, but I think the MARKET should decide the limit, not ideology or fantasies. The MARKET is telling the US government to issue more debt.
I didn't say you wrote anything about the EU. The EU countries and other historical examples show that having a high debt to GDP ratio is dangerous for a nation's economy. I, for one do not want to wait on a reactionary market to decide at what point we've gone over the cliff. Our current form of government works much too slow to turn the ship around once the market spanks our hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies