Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM

569 posts, read 673,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy;25634480[B
]I think that what you say about not agreeing with the man is ok but stop and think about what boycotting all the franchised businesses in the country did in the way of free speech.[/b] The man spoke his mind and gays went after all those franchised businesses. I doubt that that could have hurt him very bad since most franchises aren't based on how much business the people do.

BTW, I didn't manage to join that crap about Penneys although I haven't bought anything there since that time. I don't feel the need for clothes and that is where I buy most of mine. I just remembered I bought a wallet in Penneys a couple of months ago. The one I had from them didn't make it through the third time in our washer. Yeah, I foot it three times in two years. Maybe old age has crept up on me.
If I were a franchise owner I would take this up with Cathy. HE (not the protestors) may have hurt their business and all individual owners may not hold the same opinions he does (anti-gay). It is unfortunate for those particular owners but their problem should be with Cathy. Those of us that disagree with those opinions vote with our wallet. I would expect anyone who feels strongly about something do the same.

I have been watching the CFA story and how it is being played out at Universities. Many student unions in even VERY conservative states are asking that they be removed. Many student unions are governed by students and not administrators so they have total power in not renewing any vendor contracts. One school in either NC or SC (cannot remember which one) stopped using CFA for their monthly student events that have HUGE numbers of students attend. That to me is a big deal. I was at a conference with one of these schools that had such a program and the amount of money spent on these events (all from student fees that are voted in, no state money) is quite a bit. That particular franchise will feel it.

I didn't mean to imply "you" supported the JCP boycott so I apologize if it sounded that way (it did upon a re-read).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,115,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
The same way a bad action from a conservative or Christian represents all conservatives and Christians.....you know how it goes.....two way street and all.
Exactly. And that is why I never lump all conservatives or Christians together, especially not based on some isolated incident... so thanks for the obvious statement, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Exactly!!! The hypocrisy is disgusting.
What was it you were saying about "two-way streets?" Yup, that would also apply to people who are hypocrites - comes from all sides!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why did the boycott get called? Surely gays don't just pick out a business and call a national boycott against it.
You know the answer, since it's already been said more than once (including by me) - they boycotted because CFA gives some of their profits to anti-gay groups. Why so confused?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Nature has a way of culling the freaks. Keep it up...
Yes, heterosexuals, keep it up... after all, the heterosexuals are even freakier than the gays!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,820,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good for the activists...You can’t break free from injustice without breaking a few laws.
You don't have to break laws to create change. This is where the tea party shows the difference between polite protest, and violent thugery. You're saying "Good for the violent thugs"; I'm so glad to see another reasonable person joining these forums.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You don't have to break laws to create change. This is where the tea party shows the difference between polite protest, and violent thugery. You're saying "Good for the violent thugs"; I'm so glad to see another reasonable person joining these forums.
What violent thugs?...Oh, you mean the ones in the tea party.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,390,764 times
The Homosexuals are still crying? Get over it, you made fools out of yourselves, move on.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The Homosexuals are still crying? Get over it, you made fools out of yourselves, move on.
I wish the "million moms" would take your advice too, but they've been at it for years!

Point being, when somebody feels strongly about an issue they won't stop until they feel satisfied - and while I don't condone illegal protest, we can't ask anyone to stop "whining" about something they believe is an injustice. Would you keep quiet if you felt YOUR rights were being suppressed? I hope not.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,390,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I wish the "million moms" would take your advice too, but they've been at it for years!

Point being, when somebody feels strongly about an issue they won't stop until they feel satisfied - and while I don't condone illegal protest, we can't ask anyone to stop "whining" about something they believe is an injustice. Would you keep quiet if you felt YOUR rights were being suppressed? I hope not.
I would pick my battles and know when to go silent, it's better to make a simple statement than to make a big deal and have it backfire.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM

23,876 posts, read 19,055,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
If I were a franchise owner I would take this up with Cathy. HE (not the protestors) may have hurt their business and all individual owners may not hold the same opinions he does (anti-gay). It is unfortunate for those particular owners but their problem should be with Cathy. Those of us that disagree with those opinions vote with our wallet. I would expect anyone who feels strongly about something do the same.

I have been watching the CFA story and how it is being played out at Universities. Many student unions in even VERY conservative states are asking that they be removed. Many student unions are governed by students and not administrators so they have total power in not renewing any vendor contracts. One school in either NC or SC (cannot remember which one) stopped using CFA for their monthly student events that have HUGE numbers of students attend. That to me is a big deal. I was at a conference with one of these schools that had such a program and the amount of money spent on these events (all from student fees that are voted in, no state money) is quite a bit. That particular franchise will feel it.

I didn't mean to imply "you" supported the JCP boycott so I apologize if it sounded that way (it did upon a re-read).
First of all, Cathy is not "anti-gay" just because he against re-defining marriage. If anything, I believe his business will increase rather than suffer from this whole ordeal. For every customer he loses to some boycott, there are 2 ready to frequent there more often due to their support for his unapologetic stance towards traditional values as well has other good business practices of the company. I drove 30 minutes to my nearest Chic-Fil-a just to give them business during the national "Eat at Chic-Fil-a Day". There are a lot more of us than there are of you! Likewise, JC Penney is on the losing side! A similar thing happened with Pepsi a few years back and they gave in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies