Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times

Advertisements

If you are any type of "real" man you will help her. If you are any type of "real" woman you will help her.
All others stay inside and watch from the windows while the cops show up 5 minutes after he is done beating her a$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:32 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Call the cops then take my gun outside, make sure he saw it without actually pointing it at him, and while standing on my property, tell him to sit his ass down on the curb because some officers are on their way and want to have a little talk with him. This is all quite legal in the state I live in.

Oh, and I'd take the phone out with me and make sure the 9-1-1 operator caught the entire interaction on tape.

Obviously if I could see he was armed with a gun I'd call 9-1-1 and stay inside. A knife? Not worried, I can stay 40 feet away and yell at him to knock it off, as long as I stay on my property I have the right to shoot to kill anyone who approaches me in a threatening manner, especially if they are armed. That's black and white in this state.
Unless he is armed and shoots you first.

DV cases are not safe ,to think you can control them. People are very unpredicatable in a crime of passion. Or he could be on medications, drugs etc.
Police are trained, civilians are not.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:56 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

DV cases are not safe ,to think you can control them. People are very unpredicatable in a crime of passion. Or he could be on medications, drugs etc.
Like I said, if he had a gun, I wouldn't go outside. If I even got a glimmer that he was going to pull one, I'd shoot first, ask questions later.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
What if he has a knife or a gun and you approach him? I'd call 911. I think if it was getting real bad, I'd go to a neighbor's house and we'd all yell at him to stop. Not sure till it happened. If I had a 6'3", 200 pound neighbor, I'd send him over.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
What if he has a knife or a gun and you approach him? I'd call 911. I think if it was getting real bad, I'd go to a neighbor's house and we'd all yell at him to stop. Not sure till it happened. If I had a 6'3", 200 pound neighbor, I'd send him over.
I wouldn't get within about 15-20 feet of him regardless of whether he was empty handed or waving a machete. That would be foolish even if you were a crack shot and armed with an automatic weapon.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

That's true, absolutely, but I'd be out there doing what I could to keep that woman alive UNTILL the cops got there...

Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times
First, call the police AND while you are calling the police, start taking pictures, video, whatever you have to do...and as long as you do not see a weapon, go outside and try to help that woman. Most batterers do not want an audience -they sure do not want witnesses either.

And for anyone who may not understand the importance / necessity of calling law enforcement or trying to help in some way, may I suggest you read / watch The Tracy Thurman story.

True story, happened in Torrington CT many years ago - not only did her husband beat her, kick her, stab her on their front lawn with most of the neighbors watching but not doing anything, pretty much a circle of people surrounding this vicious attack, but police were also watching and observing and not doing anything. The damage to that woman was horrible and permanent.

The lawsuit brought about against the Torrington Police Department was well-deserved. She won.

This case was one of the first cases that brought domestic violence out in the open. And, of course, there is the horrible Lisa Steinberg / Hedda Nussbaum case in NY where that little girl died because of abuse. Again, why, not enough involvement.

Personally, I could never live with myself if I watched something going on so viciously and did nothing to help, not even calling 911 and the victim was either permanently damaged and/or died. I don't know how anyone else could live with themselves either if a simple call could save a life.

I understand domestic violence is dangerous, not only to the victim but sometimes to the police and others nearby...but still better to try to save a life than do nothing at all.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Alot of interesting responses: "Video tape it and call the police." Great idea.

NOW, how many of you would be willing, truly willing and not internet, i am going to lie through my teeth willing, to give your complete name, date of birth, address, phone number, etc to the police? Oh and more over, walk into a court of law and TESTIFY against the batterer.

Yes, most of you on here will say they would. However, in REAL LIFE, MOST of you would not and would not.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Alot of interesting responses: "Video tape it and call the police." Great idea.

NOW, how many of you would be willing, truly willing and not internet, i am going to lie through my teeth willing, to give your complete name, date of birth, address, phone number, etc to the police? Oh and more over, walk into a court of law and TESTIFY against the batterer.

Yes, most of you on here will say they would. However, in REAL LIFE, MOST of you would not and would not.

I have to agree with what you've posted. Appearing in court to testify, the possibility of needing an attorney as well as other repercussions are enough for most people to keep walking. Although they may call 911 for a disturbance, but deny witnessing the incident.

Few batterers take the chance of public display and like the comfort behind closed doors. So, a womens injuries speak on her behalf. God help her if she strikes him in self defense, a nail scratch or bruise giving him the opportunity to weave his web of lies.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Few, if any domestic violence cases get to the point of a trial. I have testified in court, and have found the entire process quite exhausting, getting there, parking, going thru security, hurry up and wait until called, taking time off of work, sometimes, having to come back the next day...wearing fancy clothes. At least it is now permissable to not wear panty hose in court, and women can wear pants. 30 years ago, it was even worse. And then they ask you all these questions, usually, I document things, so I bring out my day planner...and review my schedule. I am deadly with that thing, I have them back 15 years. I can tell you, who I talked to, on any given day, for the last 15 years, and what the conversation was about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies