Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,360,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.
Quote:
This is all very confusing and it seems politically driven.
I think people of combined African American and Caucasian ancestry stand out insofar as physical appearance more than most other mixes of Caucasians and other groups. Some of it may be politically driven, but I think the aforementioned reason is the major one. I can usually tell if someone has some African American Ancestry. I can usually not tell if someone has Western European and any of the following: Mexican, Native American, Middle Eastern, or Eastern Asian ancestry. I have a friend who was born in Pakistan with very dark skin. I can easily tell he's not African American. I know a partially Arabic girl and a partially Mexican girl. I had assumed both of them were Caucasians, possibly with some Native American ancestry. I don't recall ever meeting someone with part African American ancestry when I couldn't tell that beforehand.

Another factor, in the U.S. at least, is I have read somewhere that most African Americans have some Caucasian ancestry

Last edited by Clintone; 08-29-2012 at 11:32 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 PM

734 posts, read 933,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Even "light skin blacks" have lots of dark relatives. About 3/4 ths of African Americans are at least 12.5 European, and about half are at least 25% European. Even those who are half European (Condi Rice, Henry Louis Gates) are darker than lots of "unmixed" blacks.
That's very true, but the European percentages are even greater now amongst light skin mixed race African Americans, since many have one white parent.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 PM

734 posts, read 933,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I think people of combined African American and Caucasian ancestry stand out insofar as physical appearance more than most other mixes of Caucasians and other groups. Some of it may be politically driven, but I think the aforementioned reason is the major one. I can usually tell if someone has some African American Ancestry. I can usually not tell if someone has Western European and any of the following: Mexican, Native American, Middle Eastern, or Eastern Asian ancestry. I have a friend who was born in Pakistan with very dark skin. I can easily tell he's not African American. I know a partially Arabic girl and a partially Mexican girl. I had assumed both of them were Caucasians, possibly with some Native American ancestry. I don't recall ever meeting someone with part African American ancestry when I couldn't tell that beforehand.
Please refer to the pictures in my original post. In all honesty, would you be able to tell that Karyn Parson's children have African American Ancestry, or that Solded's children have a black Hispanic grandmother? Also, when you look at WentWorth Miller's pic, do you see a black, mixed race or white man?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:16 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,943,543 times
Unfortunately, the govt probably has alot to do with what lot you get sorted in. With colors we have black, white and gray. Technically gray is a tint of black.

If you go by brown, white and tan again you got a tint of brown technically. Yeah the whole race sorting is certainly "political" in nature.

Interesting, since in the chromatic world we have more names for colors than you can ever imagine. I think there is also a "eugenic" undertone with genetics in there also. I mean heck England still has a "queen" and a song worshiping her.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:20 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,841,520 times
I call myself 'mulatto' which would not be quite true under the strict definition.

Mother was Black Irish (which most would argue as Dark skinned Spaniard.)

Father was of white German descent.

When all else fails .. I just say mutt!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,305,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I call myself 'mulatto' which would not be quite true under the strict definition.

Mother was Black Irish (which most would argue as Dark skinned Spaniard.)

Father was of white German descent.

When all else fails .. I just say mutt!
Under no definition is Irish/German considered to be "mulatto".

I doubt you'll find one person on here who would agree with you.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Under no definition is Irish/German considered to be "mulatto".

I doubt you'll find one person on here who would agree with you.
Instead of trolling for arguments .. Read the post.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:54 AM

For the folks who 'actually' want explanations .. I said that I refer to myself as mulatto.

I also said that it is not the strict definition!

My mother was DARK SPANIARD and IRISH mix.

Maybe not Black enough for YOU but certainly dark enough that others saw her as black.

I myself have the Derek Jeter complexion.

While mutt may be a more fitting description .. I think that I will stay with mulatto.

BTW: Who the #ell made you THE EXPERT on what I may call myself anyway?

You've done this same cr@p before.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 AM

191 posts, read 242,853 times
Quote:
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.

I'm black American and I clearly understand the history of slavery, etc and the "one drop rule," but what I don't understand is the insistence on continuing to keep the "one drop rule" alive. In truth, I've heard a number of blacks state that a black/white person is black, I've even heard black guys and white women state that their children are black. And of course, we all know that the majority of white & black Americans view Obama as black, despite the fact that his mom is white. I'm very perplexed by this, because from my understanding, it takes two black people to create a black child, just as it takes two white people to create a white child.

What does this say about the black American identity, if a black/Asian, black/white, black/etc, are labeled by society as black? Is it merely political?

On another note, are Soledad Obrien's children black as well, since her mom is a black Hispanic? Are they mixed, since Soledad is half Australian and half black/Hispanic, or white since her husband is white, and the children have mostly white lineage?

Recall Karyn Parsons from the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air." Karyn is mixed (half black/half white), but are her children black? Or are they white, since her husband is white and they clearly favor the father.

Is Wentworth Miller (Actor) black as well, since he has one African parent & one European parent?

This is all very confusing and it seems politically driven.
The only confusing part is that people don't seem to know the difference between race and ethnicity.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
The only confusing part is that people don't seem to know the difference between race and ethnicity.
ME! ME!
I Know .. ask ME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies