Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times

Advertisements

Most half black half white people look much closer to black than they do white, so I think that is why they still get the black label. The pictures you posted are not the norm. I have one friend who has just one black great grand parent yet he looks very black. I found out just yesterday that one of my awuaintences was half white. Obama looks much more black than white. My own half brother is half white yet looks entirely native American. That is more of the norm.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 PM

629 posts, read 946,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why is Obama referred to as black when he is an equal mix of black and white?
Equal? Human history isn't that clean. Did no one else hear this story? Obama is most likely descended from America's first black slave--through his mother.

Obama’s History: America

Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why is any person who looks like Barak Obama consider "black".

Without knowing Obama's personal history, what description would you give for his appearance?

So let's not be obtuse.
Exactly. People tend to call folks whatever they look like at first glance.

The initial characterization tends to stick unless the person says something to the contrary.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
As I understand it, this is a throwback to the Southern Slave days. If one was born half black, that made that child black and was therefore a slave. In the Caribbean Islands, there was a social order on how black a mixed race person was. The lighter skinned blacks were higher up in the social order and the black-blacks were at the bottem of the social order. Apparently the whites in the d'RAT party have not outgrown their Southern Slave bigotry about mixed races. They still think a mixed black/white is all black, and are still their slaves, and they are still trying to make them their slaves, -to the d'RAT Party. We Republican's just call a mixed black/white person as 'mixed', if we even mention 'race'.
I should have also mentioned; it was common practice for the white slave owners to impregnate the female slaves. By doing this they would not have to buy more slaves, they could just 'grow' them for free, like farmers growing livestock. Today, most American blacks that are born in this country with foreparents that lived during the period of slavery, are not fully black, but are of 'mixed' black and white. You will find that their skin is not truely black but differing shades of brown, like O'bummer's. The skin of a real African is a black-black, that is almost purple. This is another reason you will find so many native American blacks with the names of their slave owners, like Washington, Jackson and Jefferson. They came from the plantations of Washington, Jackson or Jefferson who were perhaps their great, great, great grandfathers in the real sense.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,943 times
Because if we called them "white", we'd be accused of being racist or not giving them credit for being half black. IMO, instead of identifying because of color, can't we just say, "That kid"?

Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
I should have also mentioned; it was common practice for the white slave owners to impregnate the female slaves. By doing this they would not have to buy more slaves, they could just 'grow' them for free, like farmers growing livestock. Today, most American blacks that are born in this country with foreparents that lived during the period of slavery, are not fully black, but are of 'mixed' black and white. You will find that their skin is not truely black but differing shades of brown, like O'bummer's. The skin of a real African is a black-black, that is almost purple. This is another reason you will find so many native American blacks with the names of their slave owners, like Washington, Jackson and Jefferson. They came from the plantations of Washington, Jackson or Jefferson who were perhaps their great, great, great grandfathers in the real sense.
Slave owners often impregnated slave women, but not necessarily to "breed" them (the slaves could impregnate each other for that) but because they wanted to have sex and the women were not in a position to refuse. A few of these were affectionate mutual affairs, but many were not. The resulting babies were a consequence but not the purpose of the sex.

There are many shades of "real" black people in Africa as well, not every African population has "blue black" skin.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Most kids who are mixed and haven't been taught to hate one or another side of their identity should and will identify with both.
Do you seriously think that a mixed person is taught to hate one of their identities? Hate is a pretty strong word. Maybe you want to use a different word, like "prefer"?

Old 08-30-2012, 06:53 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafChick View Post
OP: Echoing others "one drop rule". If this was the past era, those children and Wentworth Miller would not be classified as WHITE. They would be able to "Pass" to make their lives a bit easier.

Here's another example: Tiger Woods. When he stated he was Clabasian; all of the sudden Asians said that he was not Asian but BLACK. His mother is Thai but Tiger Woods...nah he is BLACK. They couldn't call him mixed/biracial.
Things change. Back in the day us "Irish" were NOT counted as "white", Italians weren't and so on.

The "One Drop Rule" is a bad joke and I'm being nice. 1 state had a rule back in the Jim Crow days that if a person descended from a certain American Indian woman; those people were "white". Maryland or Virginia maybe? Tho if whites had family of a different Indian tribe; there were NOT "white". Sheesh!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.

I'm black American and I clearly understand the history of slavery, etc and the "one drop rule," but what I don't understand is the insistence on continuing to keep the "one drop rule" alive. In truth, I've heard a number of blacks state that a black/white person is black, I've even heard black guys and white women state that their children are black. And of course, we all know that the majority of white & black Americans view Obama as black, despite the fact that his mom is white. I'm very perplexed by this, because from my understanding, it takes two black people to create a black child, just as it takes two white people to create a white child.

What does this say about the black American identity, if a black/Asian, black/white, black/etc, are labeled by society as black? Is it merely political?

On another note, are Soledad Obrien's children black as well, since her mom is a black Hispanic? Are they mixed, since Soledad is half Australian and half black/Hispanic, or white since her husband is white, and the children have mostly white lineage?

Recall Karyn Parsons from the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air." Karyn is mixed (half black/half white), but are her children black? Or are they white, since her husband is white and they clearly favor the father.

Is Wentworth Miller (Actor) black as well, since he has one African parent & one European parent?

This is all very confusing and it seems politically driven.
All of those kids I'd call "white" tho Wentworth would be seen as "Hispanic" here in Arizona. Soledad is of part Irish family and her kids look it.

Even "Hispanic" is sticky: there's NO Hispanic race. Some are white, some are Black, many are Indian and so on and I ain't counting the mixed ones.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM

635 posts, read 539,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.

I'm black American and I clearly understand the history of slavery, etc and the "one drop rule," but what I don't understand is the insistence on continuing to keep the "one drop rule" alive. In truth, I've heard a number of blacks state that a black/white person is black, I've even heard black guys and white women state that their children are black. And of course, we all know that the majority of white & black Americans view Obama as black, despite the fact that his mom is white. I'm very perplexed by this, because from my understanding, it takes two black people to create a black child, just as it takes two white people to create a white child.

What does this say about the black American identity, if a black/Asian, black/white, black/etc, are labeled by society as black? Is it merely political?

On another note, are Soledad Obrien's children black as well, since her mom is a black Hispanic? Are they mixed, since Soledad is half Australian and half black/Hispanic, or white since her husband is white, and the children have mostly white lineage?

Recall Karyn Parsons from the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air." Karyn is mixed (half black/half white), but are her children black? Or are they white, since her husband is white and they clearly favor the father.

Is Wentworth Miller (Actor) black as well, since he has one African parent & one European parent?

This is all very confusing and it seems politically driven.
Historically, you were black even if you were half white (or even three quarters). Many states actually had a sliding scale of whiteness that mean if you were only 1/16th black, you might get to use the white's only restroom, etc. Unfortunately for some mocha blacks, they wound up facing discrimination from whites and darker skinned blacks.

So, culturally speaking, if you're part black, that's what you were treated as, and of course, that's what you would come to identify yourself as. I think it is becoming less and less common, and biracial kids don't necessarily have to identify as anything (though when it comes time to apply to college, or for a job, it can come in handy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies