Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 12:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I remember being really upset when a few of my friends in college (Kenyan) said the same thing to me. I was quite upsetting and I even remember crying about it.
Many years ago I saw a pic of a white guy with a bunch of Black dudes in some African country: that guy was Mohammed Ali. He looked nothing like those Africans so what happened to you with those Kenyans I def believe.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is what I have heard as well. I have a south African friend and we discussed this very issue. Even though I would fail the pencil test, my american-ness would make me white in SA.
The "pencil test" ain't always right: many def white people have kinky hair like some Jews and Italians.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have a friend who is Egyptian (she looks like she could be Vanessa Williams' little sister) and she considers herself "Black". When I was in Morocco, several people said that I looked Berber and I am most definitely a "Black" person.

Some Arabs looks more "white" and others look more "black" and with many more still that fall in between. In my opinion, this is the reason that even the "whiter" Arabs will never really be considered "white" by most people because too many of the members of that tribe also look very brown or black.
There are 22 Arab countries and skin color runs from white to black and every shade in between, with varying hair color and texture as well as different eye color. In Tunisia blacks, make up about 2% of the population. So you will have Arabs who are white, black and brown. I guess brown gets to choose which box to check off as well as having the choice of "other". It's funny because my husband is brown but I never asked him what he considered himself, nor did he ever say in the 24 years we have been married. Now I'm curious and will have to ask him.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Which makes sense now you've spelled it out. Tho the Arab business owners I've seen around here in Phoenix ARE "white" but not "pasty" white. Maybe cause many of them are from Lebanon and there's little "Black" in them.
I have a friend from Jordan who is very light skinned or "white" (sort of looks like a prettier version of Julia Roberts) and married to a very light skinned, light green eyes Italian American man. They have the most beautiful son but he is definitely darker than both of them with dark features. The son's looks are more like her father (his grandpa) and some of her sisters (his aunties) who are definitely darker skin.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:22 PM

629 posts, read 946,651 times
Quote:
The "pencil test" ain't always right: many def white people have kinky hair like some Jews and Italians.
I'm going to guess this isn't the same pencil test you take to see if you need to wear a bra.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:22 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Ok; I see what you mean. Tho Africans north of the Sahara are called "white" under US law.
So if this guy was in the US he would have to claim to be "white" because he's from South Sudan?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:01 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yeah, you probably are the only actual dark black black ebony Nubian black woman online.

My family ranges from the nearest white hi yella to the blackest black. I'm smack dab in the middle. I love black folks of all types.
It seems like I am the only one. The other black people posting in this thread claim to be mixed looking or lightskinned. I am the only one that is darkskinned and unmixed. Now why is that?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Identity politics are confusing. One of my closest friends is Egyptian. She looks ambiguously ethnic: curly hair, brown eyes, olive skin. It took her a little while to identify as "brown" because she always felt she stuck out being 1st gen American. And not being "in" the Egyptian community. Her relatives run the gamut of looks but many of them grew up in primarily Egyptian communities.

I have another friend from Kenya. He is Indian. He considers himself African and Indian. Clearly he is more African than I am.

I decided to just stop asking people and let them tell me what they think they are. It is easier.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It seems like I am the only one. The other black people posting in this thread claim to be mixed looking or lightskinned. I am the only one that is darkskinned and unmixed. Now why is that?
I don't claim to be mixed looking. I am not.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't claim to be mixed looking. I am not.
Okay, I don't feel so alone now However online, there seems to be a high number of mixed looking black people (so they claim). I don't know whether they just have more access to computers or some are fibbing. But its very rare for an African American to admit that they are darkskinned and have little to no mixed ancestry. Just about all of them claim to have a white parent, grandparent or great grandparent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies