Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 05:43 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Oh man. To you nobody knows anything about black people except you.

It's pretty sad when she claims that white people know nothing about blacks and how we are all racists, but it's even more sad when she tells black people that they don't know about blacks.

Her claiming that black people on C-D lie about their skin tone is just unbelieveable.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:03 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Maybe because Obama identifies himself as being black? If he wasn't president and you met him or saw him you would probably automatically assume he is black. He also went the extra mile to say that Trayvon could have been his son?

Too bad we can't see other people through the eyes of a child. Children don't see "color" and when they realize that they are different, or that the other child is different, they generally ask the mother/father "why"? And that is where the lessons of race begin.

My husband's sister, who is Arab, passed on to her daughter those things she didn't like about herself. Her hair, her skin tone. My niece was obsessed about her skin tone, how she wanted to know how she could lighten her skin. How she wished she was "white". How she wanted to "bleach" her skin. She hated her hair and wanted to know how she could make her hair like a white person. Her mother would get her hair straightened. Told her to stay out of the sun so she didn't go to the beach or the pool. I was devastated to see how a 12 year old child was made to fell about herself. She has the most beautiful brown skin tone and absolutely gorgeous hair. It took work on my part to get her to embrace the two things that she couldn't change and should not want to change. She let her hair grow out naturally. It is full, glossy and full of ringlets. She likes to rub it in my face because I told her I would pay to have hair like her!!! Today, at the age of 17, she totally comfortable with who she is.

My grandson is half Arab half white. Because his first name is Arab he is labeled an "Arab". What he has been taught is that first and foremost he is a person who happens to be half Arab, half white. If he is to be judged it should be based on who he is, not because he is half Arab, half white. What applies to him, he applies to others.

Ppeople are not born being racists. It is the lessons that are taught or beliefs based on hatred that are passed down from one race towards another race that creates racism.
Arabs ARE "white". Sheesh! Not all of us white people are pasty skin with straight red or blond hair. My hair is curly.

Tho even many, not all, dark skin whites want that "Celtic" look.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Arabs ARE "white". Sheesh! Not all of us white people are pasty skin with straight red or blond hair. My hair is curly.

You've never seen a black Sudanese Arab?? Or a brown Arab?

So your hair is curly. So is mine. What's the point?

Last edited by softblueyz; 09-01-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 09:34 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:

The world will NEVER categorically see arabs as "white".

Old 09-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The world will NEVER categorically see arabs as "white".
Uh; please don't tell THAT to a friend of mine who's family came from Syria, SHE sees herself as "white". Sheesh!

Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You've never seen a black Sudanese Arab?? Or a brown Arab?

So your hair is curly. So is mine. What's the point?
Ok; I see what you mean. Tho Africans north of the Sahara are called "white" under US law.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
For what it's worth I'm given to understand that in africa most american blacks would be considered white. No I have no link for that assertion but having met some nigerian sailors in athens once I can understand just how that "might" be true.

This is what I have heard as well. I have a south African friend and we discussed this very issue. Even though I would fail the pencil test, my american-ness would make me white in SA.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Uh; please don't tell THAT to a friend of mine who's family came from Syria, SHE sees herself as "white". Sheesh!
I have a friend who is Egyptian (she looks like she could be Vanessa Williams' little sister) and she considers herself "Black". When I was in Morocco, several people said that I looked Berber and I am most definitely a "Black" person.

Some Arabs looks more "white" and others look more "black" and with many more still that fall in between. In my opinion, this is the reason that even the "whiter" Arabs will never really be considered "white" by most people because too many of the members of that tribe also look very brown or black.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is what I have heard as well. I have a south African friend and we discussed this very issue. Even though I would fail the pencil test, my american-ness would make me white in SA.
I remember being really upset when a few of my friends in college (Kenyan) said the same thing to me. I was quite upsetting and I even remember crying about it.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have a friend who is Egyptian (she looks like she could be Vanessa Williams' little sister) and she considers herself "Black". When I was in Morocco, several people said that I looked Berber and I am most definitely a "Black" person.

Some Arabs looks more "white" and others look more "black" and with many more still that fall in between. In my opinion, this is the reason that even the "whiter" Arabs will never really be considered "white" by most people because too many of the members of that tribe also look very brown or black.
Which makes sense now you've spelled it out. Tho the Arab business owners I've seen around here in Phoenix ARE "white" but not "pasty" white. Maybe cause many of them are from Lebanon and there's little "Black" in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies