Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Well if you add all of the White Mexicans to the total .. I believe White America is around 80%
The rest of the world doesn't necessarily look at "Hispanic" people the way Americans do... Americans tend to put everyone into boxes.... you're either white European.... or else you're "not white."

People in Latin America don't do that, people in Europe don't do that, and I don't even know if everyone else in the world knows the difference!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
My grandson is bi-racial. He tells people when asked, that he is white, when I asked him why once, he said it was because his dad walked out of his life and moved out of state to avoid child support enforcement. I explained to him he is bi-racial and someday people will recognize the term. He said but Grandma, you, grandpa, my mom and stepdad have raised me, my dad and his family have turned their backs to me, while both sides of mom's family have loved me and made me feel like I belong with them. They accept me for me.

He may feel that way, but we insist upon him saying he is bi-racial. We know his dad's family loves him, but he feels rejected by them.
Does he honestly pass for white, or no?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Please refer to the pictures in my original post. In all honesty, would you be able to tell that Karyn Parson's children have African American Ancestry, or that Solded's children have a black Hispanic grandmother? Also, when you look at WentWorth Miller's pic, do you see a black, mixed race or white man?
I can tell all of those people, except a couple of Soledad's kids, have black blood. I honestly do feel that most black people and southern white people are pretty good at telling if someone is part black.

One funny thing I read once about Ty Cobb, the hall of famer baseball player, was that once he refused to play with Babe Ruth because he "knew a N*gger when he saw one" LOL!

I have always thought Babe Ruth had some black blood too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well there are benefits in being a minority in government, scholarships and so forth.
As someone who just went through a 10,000 page scholarship book from the library in search of funding for graduate school, I will tell you that you need to do some research as there were a ton of scholarships for white people of European descent, including about 6 pages of those who have German ancestry alone and more than that of people who were Irish, a whole lot of Armenians, Hungarians, Greeks, Italians, Swedes, Scandanavian in general...I could go on and on. A criteria for all these scholarships were that you had to have ancestry from those particular European groups and financial need, which a lot of white Americans would qualify for if you applied.

There were actually more ethnic scholarships for Europeans in the book than for black Americans. There were a whole lot for Japanese Americans too, which I found odd being that I see here on CD it being discussed quite often how Asians usually don't qualify for any sort of college aid because they are not underrepresented on campuses, but there were a lot of funds for them specifically and for Vietnamese. There were a lot for Hispanics as well and Native Americans and specific ones for Native Hawaians.

Also, I will reiterate that the majority of UNCF scholarships for undergraduate courseloads are for students who attend specific HBCUs that are members of the UNCF network. As such, white students can get UNCF scholarships if they go to these schools as well as Hispanics or any other group. I knew some Asians at my HBCU who got funding for both undergrad and graduate level research from UNCF.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
They are if they kill a black hood!
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,756 times
I think it depends on what the person looks like. For example, my good friend is half Black and half White. However, he looks very White. He doesn't look like he has a drop of Black blood in him despite the fact that his father is a Black man with a dark medium brown complexion and dreadlocks. My friend also grew up partially in a pretty much entirely Black environment in DC in the 80's and early 90's. However, I have heard him describe himself as "White" because he looks so White. Because of this, he also doesn't dress like the stereotypical brother from the hood wearing the latest Nikes and snapback/fitted caps with stickers attached to brims etc. He styles his hair and dresses more like an average White dude because he would look like a White wannabe dressing that way in the town we live in. If you saw this guy and he told you he was half Black, you wouldn't believe him unless you met his family. Some people would probably even get mad if he told them he was Black and might hurt him because they thought he was lying. Since society sees him as a White guy from his overwhelmingly Caucasian features, he identifies as White in certain social contexts. The other day, he was complaining that he never had a Black girlfriend because most Black women he likes won't give him the time of day and have called him "Whiteboy" and such despite the fact that he is half Black and was raised in a very Black environment by a Black father. It all has to do with appearances. For example, Barack Obama did not grow up in a Black environment and he was often the only Black person around in his household, neighborhood and the schools he attended in Hawaii and Indonesia. Yet, people label Obama as Black simply because he looks the part. If Obama was more like my White looking mixed race friend, much less people would be willing to label him as a Black man.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM

354 posts, read 855,711 times
There was a guy on NPR last year talking about a book he wrote that stated Blacks have moved so far in our society that their is no such thing as a black experiance aanymore. Basically according to him 50 years ago nearly all African Americans had the same or similar experiances in life. Most lived in rural areas in the South or in a few urban industrial cities. Most lived under Jim Crow, They had their own schools, few went to college and most of the ones that did went to historically black schools, etc.

Now African Americans have been despursed throughout American society and have only a few things in common (Such as dealing with rascism).

Old 08-31-2012, 12:19 PM

629 posts, read 946,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It's like "Hispanic" is a nice way of saying a person has dark skin but don't want to own up to their Black or Indian family in LatAm.
Hispanic is technically considered an ethnicity. It's more about culture and heritage, not appearance.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:25 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Hispanic is technically considered an ethnicity. It's more about culture and heritage, not appearance.
In a way, Hispanics are the Gypsies of America. Technically part of the majority, but neither side wants to own up to it.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
That's very true, but the European percentages are even greater now amongst light skin mixed race African Americans, since many have one white parent.
Not really, most of my light skinned friends do not have any recent white lineage. All the great grand parents are also "black." The intermixing wasn't recent.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:13 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My daughter has spend large portions of her life in Hawaii as her paternal grandparents live there. They assume she is Hawaiian only until she opens her mouth. Then not so much.
Like African Americans, folks in Hawaiʻi that possess any amount of "Native Hawaiian" ancestry are considered to be "Hawaiian." Some folks still use "Hawaiian" was a demonym for a person from Hawaiʻi, so folks of "Native Hawaiian" ancestry often use Hawaiian-language terms such as kānaka maoli, kānaka ʻōiwi, etc. to denote indigenousness. People were born and raised in Hawaiʻi or "from Hawaiʻi" are "Hawaiʻi locals." One of the key elements that distinguishes a "Hawaiʻi local" from a "non-local" is the ability to speak "Pidgin" (aka "da kine" or "Hawaiʻi Creole English"). Thus, when your daughter "opens her mouth", folks know that she's not a "Hawaiʻi local." However, not being a "Hawaiʻi local" doesn't necessarily make a person less "Hawaiian."

Some folks, especially Asian Americans in the continental United States have attempted to promulgate a "hapa identity" for folks of "racially-mixed" backgrounds.
Hapas: Emerging Identity, Emerging Terms and Labels & the Social Constructions of Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And its Filipino, when referring to people not Pilipino. Pilipino is usually used to refer to the language. I say this having lived in the Philippines for years. Just FYI.
Itʻs an outgoing debate whether or not the demonym should be called "Filipino" or "Pilipino."
"Filipino-American" or "Pilipino-American?" | BakitWhy
Filipino? Tagalog? Pilipino? | Language | The Philippines

There are several reasons that I use "Pilipino" instead of "Filipino." First, the letter "F" doesn't occur naturally in any indigenous language of the Philippines. Second, the term "Pilipino" represents the recognition of the identity and history of the people of the Philippines. Third, the modern use of the term "Pilipino" in the United States grew out of "ethnic studies" which evolved from the Civil Rights Movement that was started by African Americans in the 1950s. The demonyms "Pinoy" and "Pinay" grew out of a similar awareness, activism, and desire for self-determination. So, I'll respect your right to use "Filipino" if you respect mine to use "Pilipino."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies