Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,288,628 times

Advertisements

Well there are benefits in being a minority in government, scholarships and so forth.

IMO we are all the same, people, but there is politics for some in pushing the race stuff.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Really?
Really.

Quote:
Where and how did Hillary Clinton supporters advance these theories?
As memory serves me, it began with an article on either the Roots or Slate, I don't recall which. The conversation then spread through African American blogs before hitting the national media. As for "racist" accusations, this had nothing to do with "racism" but rather what began as a discussion amongst African American supporters of Clinton and those looking for another choice.

Quote:
MY premise is that people should be free to identify how they want.
What law prevents anyone from identifying however the hell they want to? None that I am aware of. Back in the day even when their were laws to the contrary, a whole lot of legally black folks spent their entire lives as white folks.

Quote:
Then, I stated that this will probably change as people recognize mixed people as truly mixed, rather than just labelling them whatever the non-white half of their makeup is.
I would prefer that folks totally abandon the abiolotical construct of race all together. If one folks need, and the do need, to identify themselves within a large context, I prefer culture over bad biology. Having said that, as also been mentioned previously, most African Americans are not oblivious to the fact that they are multi-racial and have been for centuries.

"if you have to be TOLD someone is mixed with "that something else," then it's probably OK to not identify that person as that "something else."

Do you actually no how that sounds? You just flushed your entire argument down the toilet. Race comes down to you as being based purely upon phenotypes. In other words we just modify the brown paper bag test so that everyone on one side is white and other other side is black? No need to ask if they are 100% southern Indian or a Melanesian from New Guinea.

Quote:
As far as the "paper bag test," I'm sure black people would just completely accept the decision of someone who is 1/8th white running around calling themselves "White!"
Who the frack would know unless they decided to tell someone. I believe that most African Americans would make a decision based upon context and how or who raised this hypothetical person. If some passe blanc, off the charts high yellow person of 1/8th African blood who grew up in a lilly white family in Grosse Pointe, only the most foolish black folks would give the issue a moment of consideration. Now take that same person raise them in a decidedly black home - of their extremely extended family - in the middle of Compton, goes off to college came and comes back to LA as a white person... hell yeah their would be some serious discussion.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:51 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Hey I am 82% white - maybe they ought to have 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 on all official docs that pertain to racial identity. How much black do you have to have to call yourself black? And and I a racist if I do not point out my blackness no matter how small?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:25 PM

464 posts, read 479,729 times
OP: Echoing others "one drop rule". If this was the past era, those children and Wentworth Miller would not be classified as WHITE. They would be able to "Pass" to make their lives a bit easier.

Here's another example: Tiger Woods. When he stated he was Clabasian; all of the sudden Asians said that he was not Asian but BLACK. His mother is Thai but Tiger Woods...nah he is BLACK. They couldn't call him mixed/biracial.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM

629 posts, read 946,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Americans are Discusting! We went to war against Hitler cause Any Human Not White was Killed! Yet Decades later WE are Guilty of using the Race or how a person looks to condem them! Yet 99% of Americans are MIXED some way shape or form! I call my self when asked an American Mutt! I NEVER put Race/color on ANy application! Has Nothing to do with Job Abilities! Try it... Make You feel better & hopfully will Drop this nonsence!
Actually nearly all the people Hitler killed would be considered white in America. Hitler's racial categories seem odd to us because they aren't ours.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:42 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,941,524 times
People just label people based on what they look like. Rashida Jones is half black/half white like Obama but she's thought of as a white person. Ditto Mariah Carey.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:47 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
People just label people based on what they look like. Rashida Jones is half black/half white like Obama but she's thought of as a white person. Ditto Mariah Carey.
Mariah is thought of as white? lol

Old 08-30-2012, 03:49 PM

63,007 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Why is Obama referred to as black when he is an equal mix of black and white?

Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Hey I am 82% white - maybe they ought to have 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 on all official docs that pertain to racial identity. How much black do you have to have to call yourself black? And and I a racist if I do not point out my blackness no matter how small?
The Supreme Court recognized 1/8th as being good enough for them, see Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U.S. 537 (1896)

As for being racist, well that's up to you isn't it?

Old 08-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why is Obama referred to as black when he is an equal mix of black and white?
Why is any person who looks like Barak Obama consider "black".

Without knowing Obama's personal history, what description would you give for his appearance?

So let's not be obtuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies