Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times

Advertisements

The language posted by the OP sounds more like his mind was NOT changed and is still pro gay marriage.

Im also pro gay marriage. Chick Fil A had zero to do with it. With no gay marriage they still live together, do the deed... Marriage adds divorce, custody fights and all sorts of fun things. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 11:56 AM

672 posts, read 1,418,046 times
The event didn't change my views (I'm pro-gay marriage), but I feel like I can't eat there again until it doesn't feel like a political or spiritual statement. I know of a lot of people who specifically went that day to make a statement, not just to show support for the company. I just like their food and service.

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
I understand that for SOME people this was the case. And if that truelly was you then good for you. But do you honestly believe that most or even the majority of people there were there for that. They were there because they don't like Gays.
while there were some there for that reason, the vast majority were there to support free speech.

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
You are correct they were but before this whole thing I would never have pushed for Gay Rights.
What rights don't gays have that you think they should have?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM

354 posts, read 855,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What rights don't gays have that you think they should have?
The right to Marry and to be protected from descrimination. Before the Don't ask Don't tell was retired I would also have said the right to serve openly in the military.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
I don't understand your point. I admitted that I supported Gay Rights before Chick Fil A in the Post that you quoted. I'm saying I never would have done anything to advance the cause before this.

What explanation do you need for my previous post? Please explain.
You did not change your views on gay rights, Your experience of seeing old, pudgy, white people may have pushed you to be more active in pushing your views. The title is misleading.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
The right to Marry and to be protected from descrimination. Before the Don't ask Don't tell was retired I would also have said the right to serve openly in the military.
They already have federal protection from being discriminated against.

Marriage is a state issue.

So what's the point?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Sounds like your views on gay rights had already been established. I had better lose a few pounds, do not want to be mistaken for a bigot.
by the OP's ridiculous standards, it's possible you may need to lose a few years and gain more melanin as well

Old 08-31-2012, 12:13 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Sorry for posting this so long after the controversy. I moved and have been travelling a lot for work and haven't had the time.

I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people. But what struck me the most was how proud some of them looked to be standing there. Granted I'm sure that some people were there to support religous freedom but most of them were there because they don't like Gay people.

I thought to myself what a bunch of hypocrites. They say they want the Government out of their business yet they want the Government to legislate THEIR morality. I like millions of other people will never eat at CHick Fil A again. Also I now 100% support gay rights and will help advance them in anyway I can.
K. I recommend you travel some more. They're everywhere. All colors, shapes, sexes and sizes.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:15 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Sorry for posting this so long after the controversy. I moved and have been travelling a lot for work and haven't had the time.

I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people. But what struck me the most was how proud some of them looked to be standing there. Granted I'm sure that some people were there to support religous freedom but most of them were there because they don't like Gay people.

I thought to myself what a bunch of hypocrites. They say they want the Government out of their business yet they want the Government to legislate THEIR morality. I like millions of other people will never eat at CHick Fil A again. Also I now 100% support gay rights and will help advance them in anyway I can.
If you really knew anything about MLK you would realize that a screed like this is not the way to win hearts and minds.

I think that you really would benefit from learning more about whom opposes gay marriage and hint....it's not just "pudgy old white people". Prop 3 passed in california with a LOT of latino support, just as one example.

P.S. Hate crimes vs. gays have a 5x higher rate of occurrence by black males than white. If you are serious about gay rights you need to take off your political blinders and not make every problem out to be the fault of "acceptable" targets like old white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies