Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it sounds to me like YOU are the one that is closed minded and judgmental. what you dont understand is that chick-fil-a appreciation day was NOT about gay rights, it was about FREEDOM OF SPEECH. there were many gay people who attended the day because they too understood that the CEO ahs the right to say the thing he said. if government an take away the right of someone to say they are against gay marriage, the the right to free speech is gone for EVERYBODY. once you understand that, then you will truly understand what chick-fil-a appreciation day was really about.
And what you don't understand that they are trying to tell you is that Freedom of Speech is only free and right when they are telling you how they are discriminated against for being gay.

They are narcissists by nature. They have irrational tantrums when they are challenged and find it difficult to have their way.

They are sneaky and vandalize property which means to them in their twisted minds that they are standing up for their rights.

They have lesbian kiss-ins at Chick-fil-a to "stick it in your face" that "we're here, we're qu--r, and we're not going anywhere".

It's how they operate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
This is one of those posts that, even for the politics forum, borders on the sureal. We have everything here -

-OP blatant lying by stating "this is the first time I am now pro-gay" (disproven by previous postings)
-OP classifying a group of resteraunt customers by race and appearnce, then depoloring bigots - oh the amusing irony.
-OP proclaiming the freedoms of speach...by in turn condeming a private businesses freedom of speach.

I have to bookmark this.

People, this is one of the cases where we need to challenge the original poster, not the topic (since the topic of Chickfila has moved on as a current newsworth item).
Why is he/she starting a post by misrepresentation (OK - lets be frank - by LYING to us)?
Why is he/she bringing such bigotry into her post, while at the same time condeming it?

Last edited by Dd714; 08-31-2012 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

As far as your "overreaching government tripe," there is no instance of the government shutting down Chick Fil A's "freedom of speech." None. There were officials expressing THEIR opinion (which is THEIR free speech as well!) but no instances of Chick Fil A being denied their rights to do business.

Chick Fil A doesn't need heartland conservative lardarses to line up to support it. That's what lawyers are for if there's an ACTUAL abridgement of freedom of speech. Which there wasn't. Which is why there was no lawsuits.
there WERE government officials that WANTED to prevent chick-fil-a from opening or expanding its business into their communities. the mayor of boston for instance said he would do EVERYTHING in his power to prevent chick-fil-a from opening a restaurant in that city. he was forced to back off from his position. the mayor of chicago made similar claims, and he was also forced to back off his position.

and yes there are lawyers to help prevent the abridgement of free speech, but what happens if a jury decides to side with the activists against someones free speech rights? yes the case gets sent up the chain, all the way to the scotus. but what if the jury determination is upheld? well the first amendment then has NO MEANING. can it happen? yes it can. roe v wade was supposed to be about one particular case, but it exploded into on demand abortion rights for any women of adult age.

Quote:
Enjoy your chicken.
thank you i will.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there WERE government officials that WANTED to prevent chick-fil-a from opening or expanding its business into their communities. the mayor of boston for instance said he would do EVERYTHING in his power to prevent chick-fil-a from opening a restaurant in that city. he was forced to back off from his position. the mayor of chicago made similar claims, and he was also forced to back off his position.
OH? And a bunch of fatties in Oklahoma snagging a #1 with waffle fries was the cause of him having to "back off"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm
and yes there are lawyers to help prevent the abridgement of free speech, but what happens if a jury decides to side with the activists against someones free speech rights? yes the case gets sent up the chain, all the way to the scotus. but what if the jury determination is upheld? well the first amendment then has NO MEANING. can it happen? yes it can. roe v wade was supposed to be about one particular case, but it exploded into on demand abortion rights for any women of adult age.

Don't worry about the first amendment. That's the one thing that has protected idiots for centuries.... both those that sit in front of the pulpit, and those that speak from behind it.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
They have lesbian kiss-ins at Chick-fil-a to "stick it in your face" that "we're here, we're qu--r, and we're not going anywhere".
I keep missing them lesbian kiss-ins. Is there one scheduled near Houston anytime soon?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
In other words, you happened upon a group of complete strangers in a restaurant, took one look at their outward appearance, didn't say a word to any of them... and then you made up a bunch of "thoughts" they were supposedly thinking, decided they must be thinking them, and came here to bash them for it?

No wonder you "support" the ginned-up fake "issue" of gay rights.
And it's a fake issue in no small part because it's a fake categorization of people, based upon a dreamed-up premise that a sexual "orientation" exists apart from gender.

It's amazing to watch the masses fall into lock-step with lunacy in short order for fear that a couple of PhD psycho-babblers will insult them as "knuckle-draggers" for daring to filter the s**t they shovel through their own common sense.

If there are truly "gay" people, then we'd better start working on the endless list of category names we'll need for the people who engage in the never-ending other forms of bizarre behavior. Perhaps we should start with those who prefer the wearing-an-arrow-through-their-head form of disruption.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:33 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Sorry for posting this so long after the controversy. I moved and have been travelling a lot for work and haven't had the time.

I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people. But what struck me the most was how proud some of them looked to be standing there. Granted I'm sure that some people were there to support religous freedom but most of them were there because they don't like Gay people.

I thought to myself what a bunch of hypocrites. They say they want the Government out of their business yet they want the Government to legislate THEIR morality. I like millions of other people will never eat at CHick Fil A again. Also I now 100% support gay rights and will help advance them in anyway I can.
Right-

You are a bigot who stereotypes people and have always held a "pro-gay" position.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
This is why the protests were a good thing for both sides. Anything that gets people thinking more deeply about expanding freedom and liberty is a good thing, in my opinion, even if they decide in the end that they're against it.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:28 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,114 times
The local Chick-Fil-A line on the appreciation day had whites, some blacks, a few Indian looking people while I was there. There were young professionals, blue collar, old retired folks, and others.

What there wasn't was complaining about waiting in line for an hour to get a chicken sandwich. Everyone was smiling, except the protestors.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,385,808 times
It wasn't Chick-Fil-A specifically, but there's no doubt about it in my case either: The reason I'm pro-gay rights is that I've stopped to take a good long look at those opposing them. There is more proof of Santa Claus than the claims I've seen them make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies