Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,889,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I love listening to the younger generation boys whine at the unfairness of it all. My heat bleads bitter beet borscht. Get over yourselves.

You can't just assume that those who find it unfair are a younger generation, and it's not fair.

To require something, or disallow something just for being a male or female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 AM

36,860 posts, read 31,136,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
You can't just assume that those who find it unfair are a younger generation, and it's not fair.

To require something, or disallow something just for being a male or female.
I think it would be a fair assumption. The older generations grew up and lived gender discriminations.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:14 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think it would be a fair assumption. The older generations grew up and lived gender discriminations.

But does that mean they didn't agree with it?

Gender discrimination is not acceptable. To require men register for draft and not woman is discrimination.

Society is saying that men are stronger than woman, therefore saying woman are to delicate to be required to register.

Do you believe that's fair?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,962,815 times
Quote:

Gender discrimination is not acceptable. To require men register for draft and not woman is discrimination.

Society is saying that men are stronger than woman, therefore saying woman are to delicate to be required to register.

It is. But gender is not a suspect class, so laws implementing gender-based discrimination only face intermediate scrutiny. It is typically fairly easy for the government to meet the intermediate scrutiny standard.
Intermediate scrutiny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was a movement to enact an Equal Rights Amendment and it gained a lot of support. But before it could be ratified, attitudes shifted and it was not ratified. You can thank Phyllis Schlafly and people like her for that.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
It is. But gender is not a suspect class, so laws implementing gender-based discrimination only face intermediate scrutiny.
There was a movement to enact an Equal Rights Amendment and it gained a lot of support. But before it could be ratified, attitudes shifted and it was not ratified. You can thank Phyllis Schlafly and people like her for that.
Green Oinons provided your answer to the acceptability of requiring men to register but not women. Do I think its fair, no not really. I dont think society is saying women are to delicate. I dont see meeting intermediate scrutiny. There are just too many negative issues involved compared to the benefit to society for women to be drafted.

Personally, I have no problem with requiring women to register same as men, but it will be a mess dealing with pregnancies and children left behind.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,704,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegQ View Post
I don't believe you..It amazes me how everyone can be anyone behind that keyboard.

If that's the case, than why shouldn't women have the same obligation as men to register for the draft?
You can look at my past postings many years back if you'd like, I post often about my height. I hit 6' when I was around 13, measured a tad over 6'1 just a few weeks ago. My Dad is 6'4, my brother (at 19) is 6'3, my uncle is 6'8. I come from a tall family, why would that be hard to believe?

Regardless, I agree that women should have an obligation to register for the draft, but I'd prefer the draft be eliminated altogether as I think it's antiquated.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,259,145 times
First off I had no idea the US still had the draft. I'm glad we abolished it years ago. Hopefully it will never come up again unless we're invaded. In the event we are I think if males are required to enlist then females should, too.

You see, that's one thing about the whole 'men had it SOOO much better in the past.' Sure, a FEW men might've started wars (heck it was usually tribes, and sometimes women were involved too), and don't forget the many female monarchs who waged wars, from Boudicca to Elizabeth, but it was mostly men who were required to DIE in battle as a result. Boudicca is an example of a female warrior (she led many females into battle too)...But getting back to it... Now who has it easier? Of course many dismiss this as whining. I agree having your limbs blown off is NOTHING compared to not being able to vote.

I'm anti-war myself and don't believe ANYBODY should be forced to serve. It's just not ethical to force someone to kill or be killed. The whole idea disgusts me, it's no surprise women aren't fighting for this 'right.' But if males are required to, I don't see why women shouldn't.

As many have pointed out, these days war involves less and less physical strength. A woman can just as easily pull a trigger, press a button or indeed, deploy missiles from a computer. So what should be stopping a mentally fit, reasonably in-shape young woman with no children from serving? Unless she's a coward it's only old school chauvinist/chivalrous ideas that a woman's life is worth more or it's not a woman's job. You see, chauvinism and chivalry are two sides of the same coin. If you're a woman who are too yellow to fight for your country then these old school gents are actually your friends. Don't you forget that. The men in this thread who say women shouldn't fight, these old school 'gentlemen', the type who would sacrifice ten men for one women. I'm sure feminists probably are secretly quite glad for them. I find the whole inequality sickening and is one reason why I was wish I was never born into this earth.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:11 AM

177 posts, read 198,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
First off I had no idea the US still had the draft. I'm glad we abolished it years ago. Hopefully it will never come up again unless we're invaded. In the event we are I think if males are required to enlist then females should, too.

There is no draft per se but all men in this country have to register for selective services when they turn 18 so that they're on the list in case there ever is a draft. If they don't, they can be thrown in jail and they are barred stripped of certain rights/privileges like holding a civil service job. IN some states, men can't get a driver's license if they didn't register for selective services. So, while they're faced with this obligation, women aren't event though they're free to join the service just like men, willy nilly.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

You see, that's one thing about the whole 'men had it SOOO much better in the past.' Sure, a FEW men might've started wars (heck it was usually tribes, and sometimes women were involved too), and don't forget the many female monarchs who waged wars, from Boudicca to Elizabeth, but it was mostly men who were required to DIE in battle as a result. Boudicca is an example of a female warrior (she led many females into battle too)...But getting back to it... Now who has it easier? Of course many dismiss this as whining. I agree having your limbs blown off is NOTHING compared to not being able to vote.

I'm anti-war myself and don't believe ANYBODY should be forced to serve. It's just not ethical to force someone to kill or be killed. The whole idea disgusts me, it's no surprise women aren't fighting for this 'right.' But if males are required to, I don't see why women shouldn't.

As many have pointed out, these days war involves less and less physical strength. A woman can just as easily pull a trigger, press a button or indeed, deploy missiles from a computer. So what should be stopping a mentally fit, reasonably in-shape young woman with no children from serving? Unless she's a coward it's only old school chauvinist/chivalrous ideas that a woman's life is worth more or it's not a woman's job. You see, chauvinism and chivalry are two sides of the same coin. If you're a woman who are too yellow to fight for your country then these old school gents are actually your friends. Don't you forget that. The men in this thread who say women shouldn't fight, these old school 'gentlemen', the type who would sacrifice ten men for one women. I'm sure feminists probably are secretly quite glad for them. I find the whole inequality sickening and is one reason why I was wish I was never born into this earth.

I agree with most of what you are saying but dont forget that although woman have not been required to register for the draft they have served their county during war time in the capacities they were allowed to and they have also suffered as casualities of war.

No one is addressing the issue of children and pregnancy. You state any able bodied women without children. So a woman registers at age 18 and if war breaks out and her number is called and she has a child is she exempt? Kind of like getting out of jury duty? What about a man who has a child?

How does the military deal with women now in regards to birth control, pregnancy, rape, etc? If women are drafted I assume they will be sent into combat as are men. Will the gov. be eqipped to deal with this issues on that level?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,259,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying but dont forget that although woman have not been required to register for the draft they have served their county during war time in the capacities they were allowed to and they have also suffered as casualities of war.

No one is addressing the issue of children and pregnancy. You state any able bodied women without children. So a woman registers at age 18 and if war breaks out and her number is called and she has a child is she exempt? Kind of like getting out of jury duty? What about a man who has a child?

How does the military deal with women now in regards to birth control, pregnancy, rape, etc? If women are drafted I assume they will be sent into combat as are men. Will the gov. be eqipped to deal with this issues on that level?
Definitely. Women have made tremendous contributions to the war effort. No person or group is an island. Without women there wouldn't be men, you get the picture. Which is why you can't SOLELY blame males for starting wars or sexism for that matter (especially if it's often mothers who promote 'sexist' views) nor can you solely give credit men for their achievements, since women were involved too.

Well as you say, children have both a mother and father. In this day and age we're led to believe both are equally important (although I still think in the early years the mother is of course more vital). I know there are soldiers today with families/children, but preference should be for singles, I suppose. Maybe there could be clauses allowing mothers with young children to be exempt, if it comes to that.

Of course in the event that will all have to be worked out. I think in the future war will be less intensive on manpower (or woman power) and more technological anyway so I don't really see a situation where vast armies of tens of thousands of battalions will march into battle like the First World War. Many women will probably fight from behind control stations or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies