Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,453,407 times

Advertisements

Are not rights guaranteed by the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,375,209 times
Another thing that requires ID......going to jail.

The second thing the authorities do when you go to jail is VERIFY the ID you've given them.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,255,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Conservative stupidity will never allow the teabaggers to understand its a poll tax

24th Amendment:
Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax. Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Thanks for playing

there is nothing in there that says that the states cannot require a picture approved ID to vote...Just like the 2nd Amendment that says I have the right to own guns, it is required that I have an approved picture ID to buy a gun by the Feds and the state...

An ID is not a poll tax.....Only a stupid liberal could come up with that!!!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have an idea for a money-making website and a partner and neither of us have web building skills or the money to pay for them.
First download XAMMP and Notepad++, then go here followed by here. See you in a couple of years.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Conservative stupidity will never allow the teabaggers to understand its a poll tax

24th Amendment:
Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax. Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Thanks for playing

Voter ID has been ruled constitutional and since there is no fee for the ID I'm not sure what your argument is to begin with. Perhaps you should be learning your topic instead of playing?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,943,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Voter ID has been ruled constitutional and since there is no fee for the ID I'm not sure what your argument is to begin with. Perhaps you should be learning your topic instead of playing?
That's a blatant lie, photo ID costs money. When I got my first photo ID when I was a teenager, they didn't give it to me for free. Try getting a government issued photo ID for free, only way you can is if you grab it really quickly and run out without paying for it. That's the exact reason courts have struck down most of the laws. Conservatives aren't even trying to defend their position anymore, just telling bald faced lies about it and hope people don't notice

Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 AM

629 posts, read 947,219 times
Also "Voter ID" has not been "ruled constitutional" across the board. There are specific laws that have been upheld and specific ones overturned which required Voter ID. It depends on whether the specific law has a discriminatory effect or not.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,822,396 times
The USSC voter ID decision was actually a three way split. The right 3 voted that the states can do what they want as long as it does not bother most citizens. The left 3 basically said it was a poll tax or similar and was unconstitutional. The middle three reached the conclusion that the law was not unconstitutional on its face and should be allowed to go into effect. They basically suggested their would be more litigation upon how it was actually used that might greatly change the outcome.

So the judgement was really that it appeared OK but we will see based on how they actually work.

Texas and other southern states have a different problem. There you run into specifics dealing with prior discrimination. They would likely need to show specifics that it did not discriminate against minorities. That is likely more difficult than showing it does.

So the likely pattern is state ID laws will be to uphold them except in the south where they won't fly.

Then we wait for litigation on the "as built" question.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,500,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

But you need a (not free) birth certificate to get a "free" ID, so it's not really free anyway.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,502,331 times
How much is it costing taxpayers to implement these laws and fight them in courts? Is the incidence of voter fraud high enough to justify those costs, or could that money be better spent elsewhere?

Not to mention the cost to the taxpayers for all the 'free' ID cards for people who otherwise don't have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies