Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
That's a blatant lie, photo ID costs money. When I got my first photo ID when I was a teenager, they didn't give it to me for free. Try getting a government issued photo ID for free, only way you can is if you grab it really quickly and run out without paying for it.
They have charged for them in the past but there isn't a single state that has implemented this charging for the ID now, I dare you to provide me with one example where you are required to pay for the ID if you have no other form of ID acceptable for voting.

Quote:
That's the exact reason courts have struck down most of the laws.
Most of these laws have not been struck down, there is only two states this has happened. Texas which falls under the Voting Rights Act and Wisconsin. If you want my opinion ultimately Texas will prevail because their law mirrors those in other states like PA where the Voting rights Act doesn't apply, it's a double standard. I don't know enough about the Wisconsin case to comment on it.
Quote:

Crawford v. Marion County Election Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a 6-3 decision in 2008, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the photo ID requirement, finding it closely related to Indiana's legitimate state interest in preventing voter fraud, modernizing elections, and safeguarding voter confidence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Also "Voter ID" has not been "ruled constitutional" across the board. There are specific laws that have been upheld and specific ones overturned which required Voter ID. It depends on whether the specific law has a discriminatory effect or not.
You're referring to the Texas case? Again since their law is about the same as it is in other states where the feds have no authority my opinion is they will ultimately prevail because it's double standard.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 PM

77 posts, read 154,204 times
My sense is that one must be a registered voter to vote. In NJ, they look up your name on the list, and you sign before you go into the booth to vote. So if someone was going to vote fraudulently, they would have to do it under someone else's name. Is that really, logically, a common problem? And why would an illegal alien risk their status by falsely registering to vote? It's all a canard. If the right was serious about this, they would support the creation of photo ID's at the polling place with proper identification on voting day. But they wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-11-2012, 02:09 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
How do these people who say that don't have valid ID to vote get along in society?

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/268/91842004.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3184/20091021.jpg
Where is sex with someone who looks a little young?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're referring to the Texas case? Again since their law is about the same as it is in other states where the feds have no authority my opinion is they will ultimately prevail because it's double standard.
You seem under the impression that a double standard is not legal.

Sorry but a double standard on voting is in fact the law of the land. Those states who were discriminating against minorities in the past have to meet a different standard than those who did not (well at least were not caught at it).

Texas will also lose on its recent gerrymandering of election districts. And that will sting to the Repubs...

Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They have charged for them in the past but there isn't a single state that has implemented this charging for the ID now, I dare you to provide me with one example where you are required to pay for the ID if you have no other form of ID acceptable for voting.

Most of these laws have not been struck down, there is only two states this has happened. Texas which falls under the Voting Rights Act and Wisconsin. If you want my opinion ultimately Texas will prevail because their law mirrors those in other states like PA where the Voting rights Act doesn't apply, it's a double standard. I don't know enough about the Wisconsin case to comment on it.
Quote:

Crawford v. Marion County Election Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a 6-3 decision in 2008, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the photo ID requirement, finding it closely related to Indiana's legitimate state interest in preventing voter fraud, modernizing elections, and safeguarding voter confidence

How does not accepting expired photo ID prevent voter fraud? Are people using expired ID to commit voter fraud?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
My mother in law had to get a picture ID to fly just three years ago, She was boen at home and had to get a birth ceertificate thru testmeony from people who knew her and her aprents for ar least 25 years.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Let's not forget many older Americans do NOT have a Birth Certificate...they were born at home OR with Midwives.

How do they now get a Birth Certificate to get Gov't issued I.D.

I had my ORIGINAL birth certificate with raised seal...fingerprints and footprints.

Plus I had the state registration certificate of my birth.

That was OK for Florida ID until the Republican Voter Suppression.

Now that's not good enough and I could not just renew my Florida I.D. but needed a NEW state certified Birth Certificate.

It took me FOUR MONTHS to get my Pennsylvania Birth certificate and it cost TEN bucks.

They mispelled my name and I waited another month....another Ten bucks and finally got the correct one.

In the meantime I got my Florida I.D. with first Birth Certificate...cost $32.00 bucks.

It was useless because my name was spelled like first Birth Certificate.

Then I had to pay $32.00 Bucks again to FINALLY get the proper Florida I.D. to vote.

$84.00 bucks plus about 5 bucks in postage resending crap back and forth with PA. FIVE MONTHS total!

It's a POLL Tax...it's Voter Suppression.

Voter Fraud is statistically nonexistent in this country...it is designed to disenfranchise and purge certain demographic groups from voting.

Plain and Simple. History will prove this.

A Pennsylvana Republican State House Member admitted there was NO fraud there; but the laws were intended to cut Democratic turnout and help Romney win election.

Turzai: Voter ID Will Allow Romney to Win Pa. - YouTube

GOP Turzai : Voter ID allows Romney to win PA - YouTube

Game, Set AND Match!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
^^^excellent point. I worked with an elderly gentleman with exactly that situation. He was a veteran, with a DD214, from WW II. he had an expired FL ID, and needed a new one. With the new rules implemented, he literally had no paperwork to "prove" he was a citizen. A DD214 and a Social Security card was not enough. He needed a birth certificate. Hello! The guy was born in 1920! At home! Never needed it before for anything. Or if he did, whatever paperwork he had was long gone. Oh, what a mess that was! A WW II veteran...having to prove he was a citizen. Crazy.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You seem under the impression that a double standard is not legal.

Sorry but a double standard on voting is in fact the law of the land. Those states who were discriminating against minorities in the past have to meet a different standard than those who did not (well at least were not caught at it).
Again that is my opinion, if the law is discriminatory in Texas how is not discriminatory in PA?

Quote:
Texas will also lose on its recent gerrymandering of election districts. And that will sting to the Repubs...
I hate the gerrymandering but be sure you complain about it when it's done when the Democrats are in charge. You ever see the districts in Illinois? Both parties play this game and just happens that Republicans are in charge of so many states this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies