Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sea ice has no effect on sea levels, but land ice does, and the Antarctic is losing that land ice. Gravity data collected from space using NASA's Grace satellite show that Antarctica has been losing more than a hundred cubic kilometers (24 cubic miles) of ice each year since 2002.
Antarctic Sea Ice Sets Another Record - Forbes

Antarctic Sea Ice Sets Another Record

by James Taylor
9/19/2012 @ 12:14PM

Antarctic sea ice set another record this past week, with the most amount of ice ever recorded on day 256 of the calendar year (September 12 of this leap year). Please, nobody tell the mainstream media or they might have to retract some stories and admit they are misrepresenting scientific data.

National Public Radio (NPR) published an article on its website last month claiming, “Ten years ago, a piece of ice the size of Rhode Island disintegrated and melted in the waters off Antarctica. Two other massive ice shelves along the Antarctic Peninsula had suffered similar fates a few years before. The events became poster children for the effects of global warming. … There’s no question that unusually warm air triggered the final demise of these huge chunks of ice.”

NPR failed to mention anywhere in its article that Antarctic sea ice has been growing since satellites first began measuring the ice 33 years ago and the sea ice has been above the 33-year average throughout 2012.

Indeed, none of the mainstream media are covering this important story. A Google News search of the terms Antarctic, sea ice and record turns up not a single article on the Antarctic sea ice record. Amusingly, page after page of Google News results for Antarctic sea ice record show links to news articles breathlessly spreading fear and warning of calamity because Arctic sea ice recently set a 33-year low.

Sea ice around one pole is shrinking while sea ice around another pole is growing. This sure sounds like a global warming crisis to me.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:14 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Time Mag Flashback: 1974 Issue Warns of Man-Made 'Global Cooling'

Time Mag Flashback: 1974 Issue Warns of Man-Made 'Global Cooling' | NewsBusters.org

Yeah, them "scientists" really know what's going on dontchaknow....
That did not last long because the scammers could not find a way to gain power and control over the people and steal our wealth. But with carbon footprints and global warming, they can control our entire energy production, which then allows them to control all industry, and manage/regulate every aspect of human life, and they can tax and spend hundreds of billions of our dollars, and we will all go along with it, because, as Nancy Pelosi put it, "I'm trying to save the planet, I'm trying to save the planet."

Old 09-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Antarctic Sea Ice Sets Another Record - Forbes

Antarctic Sea Ice Sets Another Record

by James Taylor
9/19/2012 @ 12:14PM

Antarctic sea ice set another record this past week, with the most amount of ice ever recorded on day 256 of the calendar year (September 12 of this leap year). Please, nobody tell the mainstream media or they might have to retract some stories and admit they are misrepresenting scientific data.

National Public Radio (NPR) published an article on its website last month claiming, “Ten years ago, a piece of ice the size of Rhode Island disintegrated and melted in the waters off Antarctica. Two other massive ice shelves along the Antarctic Peninsula had suffered similar fates a few years before. The events became poster children for the effects of global warming. … There’s no question that unusually warm air triggered the final demise of these huge chunks of ice.”

NPR failed to mention anywhere in its article that Antarctic sea ice has been growing since satellites first began measuring the ice 33 years ago and the sea ice has been above the 33-year average throughout 2012.

Indeed, none of the mainstream media are covering this important story. A Google News search of the terms Antarctic, sea ice and record turns up not a single article on the Antarctic sea ice record. Amusingly, page after page of Google News results for Antarctic sea ice record show links to news articles breathlessly spreading fear and warning of calamity because Arctic sea ice recently set a 33-year low.

Sea ice around one pole is shrinking while sea ice around another pole is growing. This sure sounds like a global warming crisis to me.
The AGW crowd are the ones who sit on their high horse and remind us that a few years of cold temps in North America is simply regional weather, and not climate, but when it is warmer in the Arctic..... well.... that is global freaking warming, and definitely not just weather.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
That did not last long because the scammers could not find a way to gain power and control over the people and steal our wealth. But with carbon footprints and global warming, they can control our entire energy production, which then allows them to control all industry, and manage/regulate every aspect of human life, and they can tax and spend hundreds of billions of our dollars, and we will all go along with it, because, as Nancy Pelosi put it, "I'm trying to save the planet, I'm trying to save the planet."
I can't blame nancy for wanting to save the planet, as we all know she has wasted a better part of it, so any day she wants to cash in her 78 cents worth of body parts to ashes and heavy metals will be a good day for me. That figure is the last figure i was aware of as to the worth of the average body in metals and water Dust to Dust and Ashes to Ashes we all fall down.....

Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
34 second display of the arctic's record breaking ice melt.

The Arctic's Record Breaking Ice Melt - YouTube

maybe washinton dc and NYC will be covered by water. the sooner the better.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
First, the scientists have not been "proven wrong." You are incorrect or lying, pick one. The only naysayers are oil company shills. Those are the 2%.

Second, as stated in an earlier thread, predictions from the 1970's are worthless, since in the interim we have accrued decades' worth of satellite images, deep core ice drilling and analysis, and supercomputers needed to crunch the highly complex data. It's like equating weather forecasting in 1973 withy today. It's a really foolish argument.
How ironic, we were ignorant back in the 1970s, but oh my, my, my, aren't we really smart now.

So in 40 years our kids will look back on us and view our conclusions as ignorant, and 40 years after that, it will be repeated. There is so much about our planet and it's relationship to our climate that we are ignorant about, we only seem smart because we understand a little more then we did before. Scientists always suffer from hubris, pride and greed, especially the ones who have burned their bridges by disparaging their colleagues.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
First, the scientists have not been "proven wrong." You are incorrect or lying, pick one. The only naysayers are oil company shills. Those are the 2%.

Second, as stated in an earlier thread, predictions from the 1970's are worthless, since in the interim we have accrued decades' worth of satellite images, deep core ice drilling and analysis, and supercomputers needed to crunch the highly complex data. It's like equating weather forecasting in 1973 withy today. It's a really foolish argument.

I knew that global warming and the effects that man is doing to the planet was just a hoax the second that scientists got caught fudging their results and findings. if they want to keep up their work, then they should do so without any taxpayer money at all.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
No, you are uninformed. Ice core samples give a very good indication of climate. It's not models. It's OBSERVABLE DATA.
Locally, yes, buy they cannot tell you what the weather or climate is like 2,000 miles away.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Debunked by non scientists three years ago....Not credible...There is a lot more evidence than the "hockey stick" that you deniers keep bringing up time after time...Did you ever look at the sites I linked too? How about addressing the info in those.
~yawn~ The Earth has warmed, the Earth has cooled, something the GW crackpots have not understood yet....

Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Stupid? We are agreeing with 98% of the experts in the field. Point the stupid end of the stick at the mouthbreathing morons who think they know more than climate scientists from listing to bloviating talk show hosts.

The "98%" of scientist claim was produced through extremely "unscientific" methods. Read into it, there is no "98%" consensus unless you are talking "generally" and being very unspecific about what you mean by "warming" and what you mean by "contribution from man". Point is, using that claim isn't a meaningful position outside of political rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.