Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I agree that computer models are not entirely accurate, but I don't think they are intended to be....There are too many unknown factors in such a complicated prediction, but they do seem to indicate trends quite well.

Some rely too heavily on them, that is part of the problem. While I agree they can be useful in evaluating trends and the like, there is a tendency by some to let the models be the driver rather than letting it be an exploration mechanism to further discovery.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You go first.............. Let us know how that works out for you.......

No cooking, nothing store bought since what every you can buy got there by a dirty means, and was made by a dirty means.

I have serious doubts you could be clean for more than a few seconds at a time. In fact to do so you would have to stop breathing...

I will consider it the day oils stop making plastics.....
LOLZ. This is priceless. So you choose the solutions that promote the most hardship to prove your point.... But that's yours and other like minded people's tactics. Bravo.

Oh and already gave a solution earlier. But once you find, I will elaborate on it if you would like.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Did you even read my post? I didn't suggest YOU said anything. What I suggested is you fall right in line with those who are suggesting that very thing though. Try again.
Oh so you are just assuming things about my beliefs? Now I see.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That has not been proven to be the case. It is hypothesized that population will be an issue, but it has never been substantiated to be outside of natural balancing mechanisms.
Sure it has. I said if we continue on this "pace". If unfortunately a significant portion of the population died then problem solved. Or if we keep developing better technology then we can alleviate those issues, but eventually (if we continue to grow and prosper) we will have to look beyond. Besides energy, Earth has finite resources, it's simply a fact. It has a finite fishing supply (declining) and finite top soil to grow agriculture (declining) as a few examples.

Quote:
By the way, it is also a communist position. communists worry greatly about population issues and they have their own solution for them, see Mao, Stalin, etc...
LOLZ everything is a communist position with you since you are very knowledgeable about communism. I think McCarthy would be awfully suspicious about your knowledge, you're lucky you live in modern times.

But no, non communists also worry about population issues. To think otherwise is lunacy.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
dv1033 Co2 isn't a problem........ neither is melting..... Anything that grows green breaths in CO2, grasses plants trees etc, which includes salt water plants some of which are microscopic.

Co2 is not a problem, and with out it there would be no O2.

Melting ice is no problem either, less if the ice is already supported by water. it just isn't a big deal as I see it.

It's a so what, because sooner or later the next real Ice Age will happen and people will really whine about that, far more than the heat.

My beef is that this BS is all about nothing and cars get the blame. Try on Big OIL, Industry and Big Govt for size and then add insult to injury a carbon tax!

The real problem is oil based plastic which is toxic, but one day will assist in powering man's economy, as do landfills now (google up BMW + energy) But that will also make CO2, which is one of the better gasses to make.

There is no way i am going to search you on any 25 pages in this life time or the next....... You wouldn't either for me...

I am not paying any carbon tax ever...... I am not giving up my engines. Any of them, and i am not concerned about water that melts..... In NH USA water melts a lot in Spring time and stays too cold for swimming year round. Melting water isn't a problem.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Some rely too heavily on them, that is part of the problem. While I agree they can be useful in evaluating trends and the like, there is a tendency by some to let the models be the driver rather than letting it be an exploration mechanism to further discovery.
It's impossible to study and learn about things vastly large or small or complex without models in these times. These models can't unquestionably validate anything but that doesn't mean they can't give us probability something is valid.

So then what do we do about climate change? Do we keep studying it and updating our models as new data emerges or do we sit on our asses and just wait and see if climate change is occurring?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
dv1033 Co2 isn't a problem........ neither is melting..... Anything that grows green breaths in CO2, grasses plants trees etc, which includes salt water plants some of which are microscopic.

Co2 is not a problem, and with out it there would be no O2.
So do you think there is threshold to which something that breathes in CO2 will die if it breathes in too much? Do you know what feedback loops are?

What happened if the CO2 levels increase and the O2 levels decreased on the planet? Or vice versa. No big deal right?

Just stop, you are embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
Melting ice is no problem either, less if the ice is already supported by water. it just isn't a big deal as I see it.
Eh?

Quote:
It's a so what, because sooner or later the next real Ice Age will happen and people will really whine about that, far more than the heat.
And sooner or later an asteroid will strike the planet, people will probably whine about that too.

Quote:
My beef is that this BS is all about nothing and cars get the blame. Try on Big OIL, Industry and Big Govt for size and then add insult to injury a carbon tax!
That wasn't coherent.

Quote:
The real problem is oil based plastic which is toxic, but one day will assist in powering man's economy, as do landfills now (google up BMW + energy) But that will also make CO2, which is one of the better gasses to make.
Plastics aren't really good for fuel....

But yes many landfills capture the methane gas released and use it for energy. Helping the environment can be profitable.

Quote:
There is no way i am going to search you on any 25 pages in this life time or the next....... You wouldn't either for me...
Then why make the claim? Like hearing yourself talk or what?

Quote:
I am not paying any carbon tax ever......
Well if carbon taxes are enacted and you don't pay them then expect to be punished.

Quote:
I am not giving up my engines. Any of them,
Fine keep them. All of them.....

Quote:
and i am not concerned about water that melts..... In NH USA water melts a lot in Spring time and stays too cold for swimming year round. Melting water isn't a problem.
Ok.... Well I'm sure enough water melted that did damage to your property you would care.

But yes melting water isn't a problem. Too much melting water is.....

Old 09-20-2012, 01:27 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
LOL...Water doesn't melt, but melting ice can be a problem. If all the ice on just Greenland melted sea levels would rise more than 23 feet, many islands would disappear as would much of low lying coastal areas.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Oh so you are just assuming things about my beliefs? Now I see.
Your putting your beliefs in words on this forum. That is what I'm making my assumptions off. The only way I could be wrong is if your lying.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's impossible to study and learn about things vastly large or small or complex without models in these times. These models can't unquestionably validate anything but that doesn't mean they can't give us probability something is valid.

So then what do we do about climate change? Do we keep studying it and updating our models as new data emerges or do we sit on our asses and just wait and see if climate change is occurring?
When you manipulate the date put into the models to achieve the outcome you want then they are as worthless as your fake data. Study it all you want but it's not reality. Climate change will always occur that is why it's named what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies