Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Come on now ... who really wants more plentiful food and a more temperate climate? Isn't deindustrialization and a return to more simple times, like horses and buggies and rickshaws, candlelight and potbellied stoves to gather the family around to keep warm in permanent winter much more romantic?

Repeat after me ... austerity is prosperity ... austerity is prosperity ... one more time ... austerity is prosperity. Are you feeling it now? Bad is so good, and worse is even better. Thata boy ... you've got it now ... keep repeating that mantra and we might not need to send you to the re-education center after all.
People move to warmer climates because we like warmer. Oooops, I forgot to recite that mantra of yours, maybe next time.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The earth will do what it wants to do. read up about the Medieval Warming Period, human civilizations in Asia and Europe and the Americas flourished. A warmer planet means more food with longer growing seasons, and a more benign climate. Instead of getting caught up in the doom and gloom of what the planet might look like with a warmer climate, read about what is was like.
Yup, I agree in some cases global warming could be a good thing, but never the less if it continues there's gonna be a whole lot of moving going on, and a huge amount of very expensive coastal property destroyed...You do know that most of earths population lives near water don't you? For instance London, Los Angeles and many other coastal cities would be submerged if Greenland became green again.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Some rely too heavily on them, that is part of the problem. While I agree they can be useful in evaluating trends and the like, there is a tendency by some to let the models be the driver rather than letting it be an exploration mechanism to further discovery.
Then, when their models fail to predict the near future as well as they were programed to predict the past, so they retweak them to predict the past - that they just got wrong...and then ....ooops, they end up failing to predict the near future again, and the cycle repeats....

Old 09-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yup, I agree in some cases global warming could be a good thing, but never the less if it continues there's gonna be a whole lot of moving going on, and a huge amount of very expensive coastal property destroyed...You do know that most of earths population lives near water don't you? For instance London, Los Angeles and many other coastal cities would be submerged if Greenland became green again.
Who says we are going to continue to warm up? We could just fall into another LIA, as some scientists are predicting. Below are some observations of our very quite sun, which some scientists believe will cause a cooling effect for our planet:

May 29, 2009:An international panel of experts led by NOAA and sponsored by NASA has released a new prediction for the next solar cycle. Solar Cycle 24 will peak, they say, in May 2013 with a below-average number of sunspots.

"If our prediction is correct, Solar Cycle 24 will have a peak sunspot number of 90, the lowest of any cycle since 1928 when Solar Cycle 16 peaked at 78," says panel chairman Doug Biesecker of the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center.

"In our professional careers, we've never seen anything quite like it," says Pesnell. "Solar minimum has lasted far beyond the date we predicted in 2007."

Sept 05, 2012 -The current prediction for Sunspot Cycle 24 gives a smoothed sunspot number maximum of about 76 in the Fall of 2013. The smoothed sunspot number (for 2012/02) is already nearly 67 due to the strong peak in late 2011 so the official maximum will be at least this high. We are currently well over three years into Cycle 24. The current predicted and observed size makes this the smallest sunspot cycle since Cycle 14 which had a maximum of 64.2 in February of 1906.

Mankind can deal easily with a little global warming, a little longer growing period, less harsh winters, moderate weather, but global cooling will bring food shortages, stronger storms and bitter cold.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
See this is the type of sky is falling stuff that is supposed to scare folks into buying this nonsense. Ya know half of Kansas was under the ocean at one time. You act as though some big wave will just come in and submerge everything. Gimme a break. I think folks can find the time to move I mean even the gloomest of doomer scenarios are saying a hundred years which in itself is ridiculous. I'm more worried about the global warming nuts dumping iron into the ocean and creating man made volcanoes destroying stuff long before the ocean creeps up on Miami. And guess what if the earth ever does decide to do that there aint a damn thing we can do about it anyway no matter how much co2 is cut out.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
So me taking a stance that is opposing yours means I want massive wealth redistribution? I'm just trying to figure out how you are getting to point A to point B.

Too bad that is already happening, except not the way I apparently want it to.

From 2005:

From 2008:

From 2010:

And of course I could spent more than a minute and a half posting better figures.

Don't worry your little Republican head, your wealthy overlords are in no danger of losing their wealth or incomes by having it redistributed.

So then it's a massive conspiracy?

Why isn't it reality?

Yes. The Earth isn't static. I guess you are against understanding our planet's climate.... since you know we have built our entire modern civilization based on it.
I wasn't aware the minimum wage was ever lowered. This is what we are talking about. The manipulation of raw data to suit an agenda.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:39 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
See this is the type of sky is falling stuff that is supposed to scare folks into buying this nonsense. Ya know half of Kansas was under the ocean at one time. You act as though some big wave will just come in and submerge everything. Gimme a break. I think folks can find the time to move I mean even the gloomest of doomer scenarios are saying a hundred years which in itself is ridiculous. I'm more worried about the global warming nuts dumping iron into the ocean and creating man made volcanoes destroying stuff long before the ocean creeps up on Miami. And guess what if the earth ever does decide to do that there aint a damn thing we can do about it anyway no matter how much co2 is cut out.
Yeah, yeah yeah, you keep repeating the same old mantra...Do you think your "what ifs" trump my "what ifs"? When half of Kansas was under water it was 230 million years ago, and it wasn't Kansas, but part of Pangaea....Give ME a break...You keep talking about CO2 as if I had mentioned it...I have not.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
That is all we have are "what if's" LOL

You just don't realize it but I do.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Scientists have suggest numerous times that mankind may responsible for the extinction of the woolly mammoth, and many people do think any and all warming of the planet is due to our production of CO2.
Can you not read? I asked for links.

Quote:
Isn't that what most of the AGW enthusiasts believe?
No.

Quote:
Isn't that what the Democratic Party leadership believes?
I haven't clue, you should ask someone more familiar with the democratic party leadership.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I wasn't aware the minimum wage was ever lowered. This is what we are talking about. The manipulation of raw data to suit an agenda.
It hasn't been lowered nor was the chart implying it has, apparently you don't understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies