Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 04:38 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times

Advertisements

I agree with the premise...

I am (maybe an unhealthy) skeptic of western medicine and their diagnoses. I think kids just need the proper attention. It's a shame that some households have to have 2 working parents that work 50-60 plus hours a week...makes it kind of tough to know your children.

I would never, ever cede to my children being administered ADHD meds. I have my questions surrounding a good amount of diseases/viruses such as HIV, Fibromyalgia, Restless Leg Syndrome, Seasonal Affective Disorder...

ADHD is right there along with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 04:42 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Ya forgot dry eye syndrome. And that other very important med , the one that makes womans eyelashes grow longer.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:44 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Ya forgot dry eye syndrome. And that other very important med , the one that makes womans eyelashes grow longer.

Hey now!! As someone who uses Restasis (for dry eye syndrome), I would be miserable without that stuff. I have radioactive iodine (treatment for thyroid cancer) induced dry eye that is pretty uncomfortable. I tried all the over-the-counter stuff, Omega 3 supplementation, eyelid massage, and punctal plugs. None of it worked--but Restasis is the best. It gave me my eyes back!!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Hey now!! As someone who uses Restasis (for dry eye syndrome), I would be miserable without that stuff. I have radioactive iodine (treatment for thyroid cancer) induced dry eye that is pretty uncomfortable. I tried all the over-the-counter stuff, Omega 3 supplementation, eyelid massage, and punctal plugs. None of it worked--but Restasis is the best. It gave me my eyes back!!
In your case there was a definitive, causative nature. Nothing ambiguous about it.

But yea, dry eye syndrome is something that gets treated often with Restasis by doctors who don't care to dig deeper and try all else before prescribing.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Which is why I told my sons teacher in FL to suck a fat one. (talking about a cigar of course )

My sons bright, so he requires something to keep him busy. His teacher didn't do that. He had bad days almost every day. Had a parent teacher conference, then the guidance counselor saw the words he was reading and said he needed to be in the gifted program, which his teacher blocked by the card changes she gave him.

This year, new school, great district, different state, he is excelling, best kid in his class on his behavior and no issues, but he's kept busy and challenged.

Don't drug your kids just because your dumb ass teacher says you should.
Same general situation with my grandson.

ADHD is a real condition but not to the extent it's purported to be.
In some schools, any kid that doesn't appear to fit in the "Stepford Wives" mold, should be on meds.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Which is why I told my sons teacher in FL to suck a fat one. (talking about a cigar of course )

My sons bright, so he requires something to keep him busy. His teacher didn't do that. He had bad days almost every day. Had a parent teacher conference, then the guidance counselor saw the words he was reading and said he needed to be in the gifted program, which his teacher blocked by the card changes she gave him.

This year, new school, great district, different state, he is excelling, best kid in his class on his behavior and no issues, but he's kept busy and challenged.

Don't drug your kids just because your dumb ass teacher says you should.

Same thing happened with my nephew. 5 minutes into the subject he got it. 10 minutes later he was bored and ef oing. After I had a sit down with his mother , teacher and guidance counsler they decided to let him do his homework in class. He was never in trouble after that. He is now in his 4th yr of an engineering degree and closing on his first home on wednesday.
No meds needed.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
This is good to hear. Have you observed side-effects? Have you needed to change meds?
This was back in the 60's and early 70's.

I no longer take medication, having learned a number of coping mechanisms. ADHD in me is still evident to the observant, how quickly I notice even the slightest of changes in environment, noises, movement, etc.

I have learned to focus so completely when I am working on something, so as to exclude what's going on around me. It's not a perfect method, and sometimes, I am unable to shut out everything, but for the most part it works.

As for side effects, I was very young, I couldn't tell you if there were side effects, at that age, I wouldn't have understood.

What I did understand, is that life became normal. I could play Little League, I was no longer being disciplined on a daily basis, I was getting good grades, I was proud of my accomplishments, instead of looking to the next punishment. Heck, I was even starting to get compliments from teachers on how smart I was, and how well behaved I had become. The fact that I listened instead of always interrupting, or cutting off other students answering questions.

It's true, ADHD is being used as a catchall for behavior issues, and in some cases discipline, but the fact remains, it is a real situation, and for those affected by it, a real problem.

I stand by my statement, if your child is truly adhd, you are doing them a disservice by not getting the proper diagnosis and treatment.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Then you didn't have ADHD.

I got mine tore up 1-2-3 times a week at school, and sometimes daily at home. When a person no matter how hard they try has no control whatsoever, that's a warning sign. We aren't talking no control, cause they WANT something, we are talking about even when they are trying to control themselves and it's not possible.

I didn't say how many times a week I got it... You just assumed. Pretty sure I got it everyday for something or another.
I usually didn't get it for the same thing, twice. Usually...

Old 10-14-2012, 02:55 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
This was back in the 60's and early 70's.

I no longer take medication, having learned a number of coping mechanisms. ADHD in me is still evident to the observant, how quickly I notice even the slightest of changes in environment, noises, movement, etc.

I have learned to focus so completely when I am working on something, so as to exclude what's going on around me. It's not a perfect method, and sometimes, I am unable to shut out everything, but for the most part it works.

As for side effects, I was very young, I couldn't tell you if there were side effects, at that age, I wouldn't have understood.

What I did understand, is that life became normal. I could play Little League, I was no longer being disciplined on a daily basis, I was getting good grades, I was proud of my accomplishments, instead of looking to the next punishment. Heck, I was even starting to get compliments from teachers on how smart I was, and how well behaved I had become. The fact that I listened instead of always interrupting, or cutting off other students answering questions.

It's true, ADHD is being used as a catchall for behavior issues, and in some cases discipline, but the fact remains, it is a real situation, and for those affected by it, a real problem.

I stand by my statement, if your child is truly adhd, you are doing them a disservice by not getting the proper diagnosis and treatment.
Self-esteem is extremely important. If a child doesn't have that they aren't going to move forward. The typical public school environment is very limited and isn't necessary for an education. There tends to be a difference with learning modalities and genders in general. Boys do tend to get the short end. Majority of teachers are also women which males can respond to differently as well.

Unfortunately, getting any medical diagnosis/care, much less good can be difficult also.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:29 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Self-esteem is extremely important. If a child doesn't have that they aren't going to move forward. The typical public school environment is very limited and isn't necessary for an education. There tends to be a difference with learning modalities and genders in general. Boys do tend to get the short end. Majority of teachers are also women which males can respond to differently as well.

Unfortunately, getting any medical diagnosis/care, much less good can be difficult also.
You are correct. The diagnosis for my kids came at the hands of several neuropsychologists, and a psychiatrist. In addition to the diagnosis, I utilized pediatricians to monitor them medically, and psychiatrist to help them learn methods on how to cope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies