Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I am curious did you find the meds helped? Doesn't really sound like it did. Did the meds effect you in other ways? I have heard people claim positive results, but other life quality issues. I have also seen those who were far better off w/o the meds. I am curious about your experience.

The issue with most meds is they don't really correct the problem they just help manage it and the trade off is the effect of long term medication on the body.
I was able to focus. I was able to finish tasks. My grades went to straight A's. People no longer avoided me.

My quality of life did nothing but get better and better. Plus, I no longer required spankings 1-2-3 times a week or more. I was able to focus on things, all my teachers noticed a difference within the first 2 days, I went from being the bad kid who was always in trouble and everyone's parent told their kids to avoid because I was a bad influence, to the straight A student, that people wanted to associate with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I have said in the past and I will say it again. ADHD does NOT exist. It's a disorder that was created by money-grubbing doctors to make a million dollar industry off adults and children with extremely upbeat and active personalities. It's natural for them to be the way they are! The human race is made up of billions of people. We are not all made to be boring and slow. People with ADHD were made to be that way to entertain the rest of us. Like all people, as children, they need to be disciplined to turn out into functioning normal adults who can contain themselves appropriately.
Don't know how to break it to you, but I've elected to medicate my kids so you'll have to be entertained elsewhere.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960
Ericka Sóuter I have always been astonished by the number of kids diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder -- especially boys. Nearly 10 percent of children 4 to 14 reportedly have ADHD. That's 5.4 million kids!
Yes its mostly BS to make $$$$$$ and get them on crap they dont need!

Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
I have worked with a man for 20 years who has the most severe case of ADHD I have ever seen. It is usually not evident in adults because by the time they reach adulthood, they have been able to institute coping mechanisms to work around their ADHD or they get into jobs that are not affected by ADHD as much. He is 61 years old and he has been using Ritalin since 1985.

He struggled all his life in school: socially and academically, although he is whipsmart. He had all sorts of things done to him by the medical community thinking there was something else wrong with him. I won't go into all the troubles he went through as an adult trying to work, but there were many. At some point, he youngest child started having similar difficulties in school. By this time, there was help out there. His son was diagnosed with ADHD and medicated and improved. It was then, this man started to think: this is what I have had all my life. He went to be evaluated and has been treated ever since. His life has remarkably turned around. He can focus, he is happy, he isn't have all of the problems that he used to have at work, and he can control himself "socially" and does much better in that area.

I work with this man everyday and, periodically, his doctor has him go on a 2-week drug holiday where he is unmedicated. It is just fascinating to watch. For that 2 weeks, he can no longer keep up with his tasks at work--in fact, he can barely get one of them done versus the twenty he might have. His driving habits are even different--much more reckless. His social skills drop noticeably and sometimes he's just very awkward.

He has the most severe case I've ever seen and it is greatly improved by the medication. For anyone who doesn't believe in it, just hanging around this guy would change your mind. It saddens me of how much his potential was thwarted without treatment for most of his life. He really is so smart.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I got my ass tore up.

That was my ADHD & ADD medicine.

Worked like a charm.
ADD=Ass-whipping Deprivation Disorder.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
ADD=Ass-whipping Deprivation Disorder.
LOL at thinking all (or any) kids respond to ^this.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:31 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
I came across this article in the NY Times. Apparently this guy prescribes medicine for kids he knows don't have it because he feels it will help them get better grades. So now hey if you don't even have anything wrong with you we'll drug you up to get better grades. So his attitude is the schools are bad and the kids are getting bad grades so we should drug em and see if it helps. Honestly this guy should be jailed.

"The pills boost focus and impulse control in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Although A.D.H.D is the diagnosis Dr. Anderson makes, he calls the disorder “made up” and “an excuse” to prescribe the pills to treat what he considers the children’s true ill — poor academic performance in inadequate schools.
“I don’t have a whole lot of choice,” said Dr. Anderson, a pediatrician for many poor families in Cherokee County, north of Atlanta. “We’ve decided as a society that it’s too expensive to modify the kid’s environment. So we have to modify the kid.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/he...anted=all&_r=0

Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I was able to focus. I was able to finish tasks. My grades went to straight A's. People no longer avoided me.

My quality of life did nothing but get better and better. Plus, I no longer required spankings 1-2-3 times a week or more. I was able to focus on things, all my teachers noticed a difference within the first 2 days, I went from being the bad kid who was always in trouble and everyone's parent told their kids to avoid because I was a bad influence, to the straight A student, that people wanted to associate with.
This is good to hear. Have you observed side-effects? Have you needed to change meds?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:44 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I came across this article in the NY Times. Apparently this guy prescribes medicine for kids he knows don't have it because he feels it will help them get better grades. So now hey if you don't even have anything wrong with you we'll drug you up to get better grades. So his attitude is the schools are bad and the kids are getting bad grades so we should drug em and see if it helps. Honestly this guy should be jailed.

"The pills boost focus and impulse control in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Although A.D.H.D is the diagnosis Dr. Anderson makes, he calls the disorder “made up” and “an excuse” to prescribe the pills to treat what he considers the children’s true ill — poor academic performance in inadequate schools.
“I don’t have a whole lot of choice,” said Dr. Anderson, a pediatrician for many poor families in Cherokee County, north of Atlanta. “We’ve decided as a society that it’s too expensive to modify the kid’s environment. So we have to modify the kid.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/he...anted=all&_r=0
Sadly, the environment is what it is. Govt schools can tend to be slow to changes. For example, in NY, I believe, they found in a study children suffering from sleep deprivation with cognitive issues. They finally decided to change the school schedule to be later and found improvements in many areas. What passes for education is sad in some cases.

Here is an example. I have seen school policy changes which absolutely fit govt profile. Tardies (no matter a few minutes or not) would become absences rather quickly, those then could fail you quite quickly. The reason given for this was to improve algebra grades. Seriously? This is called govt doing the thing it seems to do repeatedly expecting a different outcome. That the right amount of authority solves all issues, it doesn't hurt that they also receive funding based on attendance.

The issue with meds is that they have implications and effects long term. They manage problems, they don't really correct them. Like eyeglasses for instance. They help you to see, but you are dependent and usually vision declines as you depend more and more on glasses. Anything you take long term is important to not dismiss.

I was trying to find the study. Anyway, there is more information on this all the time.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...sleep-related/
http://nymag.com/news/features/38951/
quote:
The performance gap caused by an hour’s difference in sleep was bigger than the normal gap between a fourth-grader and a sixth-grader. Which is another way of saying that a slightly sleepy sixth-grader will perform in class like a mere fourth-grader. “A loss of one hour of sleep is equivalent to [the loss of] two years of cognitive maturation and development,” Sadeh explains.

Last edited by CDusr; 10-14-2012 at 01:05 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 04:32 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Giving the meds to improve grades is just stupid. If you do not have ADHD the medication won't work in the same way for you. It will just act as a stimulant--it will not help the brain "organize." I do not have ADHD but I was allowed to try the medication and it did not have that effect on me at all. I never felt better organized, more pulled together, or more focused because I wasn't having issues to begin with.

What is interesting about the medication, though, is that is has a very safe drug profile and has been given in low doses to seniors for depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies