Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Calling attention to the jobs situation will not help Democrats, but it will certainly help our nation decide on future leadership.
Putting republicans who were in-charge, and have been in-charge of opposing any progress since, will not help the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 10:04 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Putting republicans who were in-charge, and have been in-charge of opposing any progress since, will not help the nation.
It's better than the alternative: continued insane over-spending and over-borrowing (that pushes America's almost inevitable collapse closer and closer), corrupt Special Interests getting huge amounts of money stolen from working taxpayers, and a President so dishonest and narcissistic that he will promise anyone anything to get power, with absolutely no intention of keeping those promises.

While the modern Republican Party is traitorous to the American ideals of limited and non-intrusive government, we are only allowed to choose between the lesser of 2 Big Government evils. I don't think most Americans have the sense to write in Ron Paul, as I will, and make a statement that we are disgusted with Big Government and the "Clone A versus Clone B" system that is supposed to represent the views of the people (it's not like your vote counts anyway, unless large numbers vote for Libertarians and send a clear message to the Big Government Spendaholics on both sides in Washington).

Between the Dems and the Repubs, I have to go with the one that the business community REQUIRES to be in place, before it will start hiring again, and therefore allowing the economy to at least attempt recovery. We know for a fact that if Obama gets in again, we will be in for yet another 4 years of economic stagnation. The Working Class won't survive it.

The Republicans at least give lip service to protecting hard-working professionals who has pursued advanced education and sacrificed their lives for a career over the last 20 or 30 years from even more ridiculous taxation. Don't fall for the foolish Obama promises that "the rich" will pay more---they are the ones he gave all that stimulus money to! The truly rich (who are so far above the professional working class that it's a joke to lump us all together) won't pay more taxes, no matter what some guilty liberal rich guy gets up and says. Furthermore, who is stopping ANYONE from sending ALL their income to Washington? Anyone who gets up and says he wants to pay more, means he wants YOU to pay more. He knows perfectly well that he can send all the money he wants to the spendthrift politicians. He also knows that no matter how much these politicians take from us, they'll spend twice as much. That's why our current system has to end--Washington is not limited by ANYTHING, and they've sent the nation into Greece-level economic failure that NO level of taxation can get us out of.

Remember, the truly rich aren't even targeted by our income tax system: it only goes after WAGE EARNERS (i.e. wage slaves). And those of us at the relative top of the this scale (not the top 1%, but the larger group that will be targeted for extra-obscene tax increases) may earn enough to survive for a while in the extreme high-cost areas of the country (where our jobs are), but we are FAR from rich when you look at what we have left over after cost of living and local taxes.

In fact, while my spouse and I can only afford to drive 10+ year old cars to work, with over 120,000 miles each, we still are required to send the monetary equivalent of a luxury SUV to Washington EVERY YEAR--to be spent on wars, things the federal government should not be involved with at all (like education), corruption, waste, pork, and just sheer spending foolishness. Because of this overtaxation that makes working simply not worth the effort anymore, we'll be "Going Galt" in just a year or two, and let all these government thieves rob someone else blind. How can a nation survive when the most productive members quit work entirely at least 12 years before they can start receiving Social Security, entirely because the income tax system seeks to make them pay for all the victims of an economy destroyed by an irresponsible and insane government?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
It's better than the alternative: continued insane over-spending and over-borrowing (that pushes America's almost inevitable collapse closer and closer), corrupt Special Interests getting huge amounts of money stolen from working taxpayers, and a President so dishonest and narcissistic that he will promise anyone anything to get power, with absolutely no intention of keeping those promises.

While the modern Republican Party is traitorous to the American ideals of limited and non-intrusive government, we are only allowed to choose between the lesser of 2 Big Government evils. I don't think most Americans have the sense to write in Ron Paul, as I will, and make a statement that we are disgusted with Big Government and the "Clone A versus Clone B" system that is supposed to represent the views of the people (it's not like your vote counts anyway, unless large numbers vote for Libertarians and send a clear message to the Big Government Spendaholics on both sides in Washington).

Between the Dems and the Repubs, I have to go with the one that the business community REQUIRES to be in place, before it will start hiring again, and therefore allowing the economy to at least attempt recovery. We know for a fact that if Obama gets in again, we will be in for yet another 4 years of economic stagnation. The Working Class won't survive it.

The Republicans at least give lip service to protecting hard-working professionals who has pursued advanced education and sacrificed their lives for a career over the last 20 or 30 years from even more ridiculous taxation. Don't fall for the foolish Obama promises that "the rich" will pay more---they are the ones he gave all that stimulus money to! The truly rich (who are so far above the professional working class that it's a joke to lump us all together) won't pay more taxes, no matter what some guilty liberal rich guy gets up and says. Furthermore, who is stopping ANYONE from sending ALL their income to Washington? Anyone who gets up and says he wants to pay more, means he wants YOU to pay more. He knows perfectly well that he can send all the money he wants to the spendthrift politicians. He also knows that no matter how much these politicians take from us, they'll spend twice as much. That's why our current system has to end--Washington is not limited by ANYTHING, and they've sent the nation into Greece-level economic failure that NO level of taxation can get us out of.

Remember, the truly rich aren't even targeted by our income tax system: it only goes after WAGE EARNERS (i.e. wage slaves). And those of us at the relative top of the this scale (not the top 1%, but the larger group that will be targeted for extra-obscene tax increases) may earn enough to survive for a while in the extreme high-cost areas of the country (where our jobs are), but we are FAR from rich when you look at what we have left over after cost of living and local taxes.

In fact, while my spouse and I can only afford to drive 10+ year old cars to work, with over 120,000 miles each, we still are required to send the monetary equivalent of a luxury SUV to Washington EVERY YEAR--to be spent on wars, things the federal government should not be involved with at all (like education), corruption, waste, pork, and just sheer spending foolishness. Because of this overtaxation that makes working simply not worth the effort anymore, we'll be "Going Galt" in just a year or two, and let all these government thieves rob someone else blind. How can a nation survive when the most productive members quit work entirely at least 12 years before they can start receiving Social Security, entirely because the income tax system seeks to make them pay for all the victims of an economy destroyed by an irresponsible and insane government?
Oh come on, everybody knows the only people who should be able to buy luxury SUVs, are the people who can afford car elevators in their houses.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Oh no, those Dems are phonying up the numbers again.

Jobless Claims Slide, Import Prices Rise, Trade Gap Up - US Business News - CNBC
There are tons of people who are not reported in the numbers by the millions out of work...correct!
A lot of countries have been printing money like us and the import issues go back and forth.

You have to look at what information is missing.
You have to see if people doing Christmas seasonal work made an increase the last few years and that should give you the truth.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:

As much as I hate to say it, I 100% agree with you, both sides are corrupt and the spending has gotten way out of hand. It is funny to me how everybody wants to increase the tax on the rich, only those making more then $250,000 because they are supposedly rich, but do not realize those that are really rich do not pay themselves enough salary from the companies they own to qualify for that rich designation. raising taxes is not even the real issue spending is, I do not know how many people realize that as a percentage of GDP spending over the last 3 years has only been higher once in the history of the US, and that was during the run up to and the US entry into WW2.

Unfortunately I am forced to vote for Romney as my state is a swing state and appears to be close, the last thing I want is someone like Obama Biden back in office for another term.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
US Labor Dept officials indicate decline in initial jobless claims was due to a technicality & likely a temporary issue. And, yes, one large state didn't report some quarterly figures.

Result: BS jobless claims report released because Obama is tanking in the polls.
Quote:
In response to our story, California's Employment Development Director issued a statement saying the state "has reported all UI claims data and submitted the date on time." A spokesperson for the department also offered an alternative explanation for the drop in California's unemployment claims: "Our weather has been unusually warm which has had some typical seasonal patterns in employment delayed."

The California spokesperson also demanded a "retraction" of what the Labor Department told us.
YES!!!! Blame it on the warm weather!!

(See link as to what the Labor Dept reported.)

Read more: What Happened With Jobless Claims - Business Insider

It appears that if California had submitted it's data, it would have brought the rate slightly lower, but not to the 7.8% claimed.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

It appears that if California had submitted it's data, it would have brought the rate slightly lower, but not to the 7.8% claimed.
So a state that has had over a 10% unemployment rate for months would have brought the unemployment rate lower?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
So a state that has had over a 10% unemployment rate for months would have brought the unemployment rate lower?
What brought the rate lower were 582,000 part time jobs. I'd like to know where all that hiring happened.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Did you actually READ the link? I said SLIGHT as stated in the article. Slight could mean a fraction. Look at the link and do the math and get back to me. The point is, even it it went down the slightest fraction that would be the truth, not a number by design.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

The new claims report is completely unrelated to how the Labor Department determines the unemployment rate, by using surveys of households and businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies