Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times

Advertisements

That's a good idea Nice I have thought off. Since I have very limited coverage now, it's not even called insurance, and since I travel sometimes, I should probably get a catastrophe policy or major medical whatever they call it just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM

399 posts, read 705,344 times
Yes, it's very depressing those of us who can't afford health care. One is that it is tooooooo high a premium to pay and employer doesn't help when you make small wages and premium leaves you nothing to bring home to pay rent and essentials with. I'm without and don't intend on getting health care if it is taking more than 1/2 my paycheck. It's stupid that the companies can rip people off. Not that I'm expecting miracles with the new government but I just don't go to doctors and hospitals. I pray I don't get sick or in an accident in the meantime. I hate being in this situation but if someone can offer affordable insurance, I'll jump on it.

Best to those without! I feel for you unless you make good money and don't take it cause you're being cheap! JMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm in Texas, one of the worst states for insurance coverage. I know a lot of people without coverage. It's depressing.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times
It seems odd that you would say republicans don't want to help people like your mentioned. Is he trying to buy a insurance plan for more than what they need? 1,000 dollars a month seems a bit high and maybe ask him if he priced something that has higher co-payments etc....

Why you say the country should provide a basic medical plan for everyone, don't you mean your fellow taxpayers? I pay for my own medical insurance but I would like the "country" (taxpayers) to fund my two children's college education. Not that I can't pay for it, but I just want it because if "feels good" to have someone else pay for it.

Is that not the point? Let the other guy pay for what I need because "it feels good"?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I know four people who don't have insurance and all four are Republicans. Two of the are very vocal about what they'd term as the "evils of Obamacare" yet if they have to go to emergency they have no problem with the hospital passing the cost of their care on to those of us who do pay our bills.
I know several repubs like that what the hell?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
I don't know if I'm Republican or Democrat some days, but on this I don't side with your sister.

Most states offer uninsured protection. i.e. a policy if you can't get it elsewhere. if you are poor enough, there is medicaid.

yet, based on the below, I'm betting they aren't poor enough. A good 25% of the people who don't have health insurance just don't prioritize it high enough. I mean their house? how many cars? cable? television? My brother often doesn't have health insurance, but he almost always has the new iphone. health insurance is a priority item. It should be required by law because if you dont' have it, you screw us all.

At the very least you should be able to get a high deductible plan . . .for under $600 for a family. Though you would need to save a "just in case fund"

Still, I suppose some people do fall through that crack. Maybe they REALLY don't make enough to afford insurance. I have no idea if this family is that way or not. I can't really tell. its impossible unless you provide their monthly budget.

The fun thing he should know is that he won't just "die" if he gets sick. What will happen is that he will rack up some huge bill for something minor (cut your hand, here is $10K). then he won't be able to work. Owe 10k. They will then take almost everything away from him/her (house, car, whatever) and that will be that.

At the end of the day

Sometimes life isn't that fair. We all have abilities, we all get paid different. There aren't enough resources to give everyone everything. It sucks, but there it is. My guess is healthcare isn't the only ledge this family is on. No term life insurance, no disability insurance, the list goes on.

and there are 100xmore people worse off than this family worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I recently found out that my sister and her husband have no health insurance. I couldn't believe it to be honest.

Her husband was a mechanic for Northwest Airlines until he got laid off with all the restructuring. He is working for a contractor now inspecting planes for far less money and no benefits.

My sister has not been able to get a good enough job that provides insurance for the family.

So they get by without insurance and my sister just says "we can't afford it so our health is in God's hands"

These are good people, their only fault is they aren't good with money at all. They could be broke but if you needed food they would give you what they have. They are just good hearted folks without a desire for money or success. But they are hard workers. When my sister isn't working at one of her crappy part time jobs she is working at a homeless shelter in St Paul.

I know my republican friends on this forum are against help for these kinds of people and to be honest, my sister and husband are not asking for anyone's help. My brother in law is a republican, always has been even through all his troubles. He still says his health is not anyone else's problem. He cannot afford $1000 per month for a policy and he says he does not expect anyone else to pay it so I guess he's willing to die if he gets sick.

I just think this entire situation is sad. I think if you believe this country should not be providing a basic health policy for every citizen you just aren't seeing the big picture.

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
My younger brother did not have insurance while he was going to school part time and working 38 hours at one job and 10 at the other (no benefits). Luckily, he is under 26 and was able to get back on my fathers insurance under Obamacare

Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
My mothers company won't put her on the insurance plan because it will raise the premiums for everyone. Instead they give her more cash per check, but it is not close to her bills.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM

679 posts, read 615,049 times
Just recently my Dad's wife got severe appendicitis and had some complications and ended up spending a couple of days in the hospital. A couple of months earlier she had quit her job and was just living at home. My Dad owns his own business and is pretty comfortably in the 1%, but he just wasn't thinking about insurance at the time and since they had both been on their own separate company health insurance programs it came as a huge surprise when my Dad got the 30k bill.

Besides that, almost all of my friends still in grad school have zero insurance because they've passed the age where you can still ride on your parents (26 I think?). I do know that Florida State has a rule that just came into effect in 2008 where all grad students had to have proof of health insurance, I was just happy that I graduated right before that happened because adding more bills would not have been good.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
have none and dont have any interest in obtaining it.

400,000 people die per year from medical prescription mishaps and other problems.

health care today is reactive, not proactive. go in, load up on pills, and keep you hooked for life.

if we focused on the preventative, holistic approach we'd be way better off.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:37 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I recently found out that my sister and her husband have no health insurance. I couldn't believe it to be honest.

Her husband was a mechanic for Northwest Airlines until he got laid off with all the restructuring. He is working for a contractor now inspecting planes for far less money and no benefits.

My sister has not been able to get a good enough job that provides insurance for the family.

So they get by without insurance and my sister just says "we can't afford it so our health is in God's hands"

These are good people, their only fault is they aren't good with money at all. They could be broke but if you needed food they would give you what they have. They are just good hearted folks without a desire for money or success. But they are hard workers. When my sister isn't working at one of her crappy part time jobs she is working at a homeless shelter in St Paul.

I know my republican friends on this forum are against help for these kinds of people and to be honest, my sister and husband are not asking for anyone's help. My brother in law is a republican, always has been even through all his troubles. He still says his health is not anyone else's problem. He cannot afford $1000 per month for a policy and he says he does not expect anyone else to pay it so I guess he's willing to die if he gets sick.

I just think this entire situation is sad. I think if you believe this country should not be providing a basic health policy for every citizen you just aren't seeing the big picture.

Thanks for reading.

What the hell is this supposed to mean:

Quote:
My brother in law is a republican, always has been even through all his troubles.
When life gets rough is one supposed to turn to liberalism or something?

I personally know plenty of people who don't have health insurance. They're mostly in situations similar to the one described in the OP. Meanwhile, as they head off to work everyday with no HI their checks get raided to pay the bill for the people who get medicaide. Working people don't qualify for the free ride but they get to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies