Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times

Advertisements

Oh for cryin' out loud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
And people look for articles like this to be filled with faux-outrage.
Do you go to the St Louis zoo?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And people look for articles like this to be filled with faux-outrage.
Do you go to the St Louis zoo?
Well, I live in the STL area and have been there plenty of times, but you don't need to be from there or have gone to it to be outraged. It doesn't make it "faux" any more than your post makes your concern "faux".

Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Ghosts are not racist, you St. Louis morons.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well if we're going to "see" something in this then I see KKK members being lynched with those white robes.
Not many black KKK members.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Not many black KKK members.
And there are 0 black ghosts. All ghosts are white . . . hey, wait a minute . . . .

Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I was walking in the grocery store and saw a sign that said "Crackers"
I feel deeply offended every time I see the word "crackers" in the grocery store. Should we start a petition to force a name change?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,013,215 times
(I thought this was a thread from several years ago....but since it is current...I will re-post my comment.)

A quick google search reveals Missouri has a history of lynching. "At least 227 mob lynchings took place on Missouri soil between 1803 and 1981, all of which are identified, confirmed, and documented ..."

The decorations sure made me think of lynchings even before I knew they had black faces.

It isnt political correctness or overly sensitive to take the decorations down..it is just correct and sensitive..they have the capacity to be hurtful......just as images of bound and tortured women and children would have in Witchita (BTK)....lynching is imbedded in the American psyche....it was a horrific period in the recent past.....there is no need to enliven those images.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Would I complain about it? No. But I can see why some might see it as reflective of black lynching. If you aren't a member of a discriminated group, it never dawns on you how hurtful subtle little things like this can be. I am sure such an implication never entered the mind of the creator of this display, nor zoo employees. But no matter how much you don't see it, there are people who do see it. That doesn't mean it needs to be taken down. This could be solved by painting the faces blue or gray.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
(I thought this was a thread from several years ago....but since it is current...I will re-post my comment.)

A quick google search reveals Missouri has a history of lynching. "At least 227 mob lynchings took place on Missouri soil between 1803 and 1981, all of which are identified, confirmed, and documented ..."

The decorations sure made me think of lynchings even before I knew they had black faces.

It isnt political correctness or overly sensitive to take the decorations down..it is just correct and sensitive..they have the capacity to be hurtful......just as images of bound and tortured women and children would have in Witchita (BTK)....lynching is imbedded in the American psyche....it was a horrific period in the recent past.....there is no need to enliven those images.
All Halloween decorations have the potential to be "hurtful". The very idea of horror/scary feeds on that fear. Think about what you are proposing. All displays of an axe murder or knifed victim (many of those too) - are those insensitive too? Yes. The display of death is the point of Halloween - including the various ways people can be killed. It's very nature is insensitive. I'm more surprised that some aren't offended that all ghosts are white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies