Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Dont get me wrong, I love MO, its beautiful, I grew up there, most of my family still lives there, I own property there.
Its just the attitude of some of the citizens...
Yep, and getting all worked up over it isn't going to change anyones mind. Most of the younger people I know, folks I went to school with don't feel the same way.

Its dying out, and its best to let it do just that, die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
Blacks are offended, but yet some of the most racist people you will ever meet

Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yep, and getting all worked up over it isn't going to change anyones mind. Most of the younger people I know, folks I went to school with don't feel the same way.

Its dying out, and its best to let it do just that, die.
Exactly.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I love MO, its beautiful, I grew up there, most of my family still lives there, I own property there.
Its just the attitude of some of the citizens...

You can find that attitude anywhere. Believe it or not, there are parts of Ohio with the attitude, where you'd swear that you were in the South. At any rate, it's sad that in 2012 that there are factions in society that discriminate based on just skin color.

P.S. Where have ya been?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You can find that attitude anywhere. Believe it or not, there are parts of Ohio with the attitude, where you'd swear that you were in the South. At any rate, it's sad that in 2012 that there are factions in society that discriminate based on just skin color.

P.S. Where have ya been?
I have family in Columbus, seen that for myself.
And you're right, it is sad to see discrimination in any form.....we, as a country, are not as civilized as we like to pretend.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
I have family in Columbus, seen that for myself.
And you're right, it is sad to see discrimination in any form.....we, as a country, are not as civilized as we like to pretend.

Bigots are bigots, and you're not going to change that. They come in all colors and from all walks of life. So long as they do not cause harm to others or induce violence due to their bigotry, it's best to leave them alone to wallow in their own misery. In other words, don't give them the attention that they seek. Perfect example of how ignoring works (and I've referenced this before)... Back in August of 1999 on a Saturday evening the Cleveland Browns were set to play their first preseason game back in the league after a 3 year absence (thanks Art for that). On that same day earlier on the KKK had a rally scheduled in downtown Cleveland. My future wife, and future in-laws were going to the game, and we were thinking "uh oh the Klan being in town is not going to be good, given that Cleveland proper has a large black population." The Klan did have their rally, and it was good to see that cooler heads prevailed. Their rally pretty much went ignored, and nothing went down. I have to say I was quite proud of my city for not engaging those backwoods morons which could have sparked serious issues. It's the attention they crave. Just like those jacka**es from the Westboro Baptist Church.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well if we're going to "see" something in this then I see KKK members being lynched with those white robes.
That's a happy thought...

Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
(I thought this was a thread from several years ago....but since it is current...I will re-post my comment.)

A quick google search reveals Missouri has a history of lynching. "At least 227 mob lynchings took place on Missouri soil between 1803 and 1981, all of which are identified, confirmed, and documented ..."

The decorations sure made me think of lynchings even before I knew they had black faces.

It isnt political correctness or overly sensitive to take the decorations down..it is just correct and sensitive..they have the capacity to be hurtful......just as images of bound and tortured women and children would have in Witchita (BTK)....lynching is imbedded in the American psyche....it was a horrific period in the recent past.....there is no need to enliven those images.
Why ? Did they put white sheets on the Blacks before they lynched them ?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Heck, just take them down and replace them with ghosts with white faces.
I doubt many Whites will complain that it offends them.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
It's a stupid display. The faces being black and hanging from trees should have been an obvious blunder to anyone with any common sense. The person who designed this got paid to do so? Ghosts hanging from trees is a stupid idea anyway. The designer should have come up with a better way to give the illusion of a ghost flying thru the air. I took a course in visual merchandising years back and this display is complete fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies