Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
IMO narcatoics nor marijuana should ever be legalized. And to be quite honest many of those psychotropic meds shouldn't be either
Why not MJ? Because of your personal preferences or do you have a reason it should be illegal for EVERYONE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,040,205 times
It will be the prison unions in this country, and the big pharmaceutical companies, who will decide if and when drugs are legalized in this country, unless bankruptcy in this country comes first!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are quoting a myth, not facts. Alcohol use plummeted by as much as 70% during the prohibition. The law was repealed because the popular vote was 75% for repeal (three to one).
Plummeted at the START of Prohibition back when liquor was at its hardest to find and then ended up slightly below the pre-Prohibition levels by the end of Prohibition.

The murder rate also increased dramatically (and decreased after the repeal) during Prohibition and it lead to widespread corruption and distrust of the law. It also flooded the prisons. It also gave a major boost to organized crime which turned what were basically street gangs into large-scale criminal empires that often spanned several states and turned small time hoodlums into multi-millionaires.

Stunning success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
One wonders how many of those opposed to legalization are the same people who want the government out of their business so badly?
I don't want heavy regulation nor the War on Drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What would it take to push through legalization? We know that politicians aren't going to touch it. Anybody have some ideas on a citizen's initiative? From the latest polls over 54% of Americans support the legalization of marijuana. I'm not that familiar with law. Is there anything the citizens could do? Like a national ballot of some sort? Or would it have to be settled state by state?
Either the future generations will be more open minded to such things (I go by the rule that if you were pick a random event or movement that 90% of the time you would not have seen it coming 30 years in the future) or the states will have to continuously challenge the Feds on the issue to get them to budge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So the U. S. needs to do a better job of trying to imprison its way out of the drug problem?
I know. 98% of the American population is not currently in prison! I say it is a disgusting lack of will on the part of the government.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
It seems odd to push to make MJ legal when that is the number one drug abused by young people and we have pushed for nearly 50 years to get people to quit smoking.
Marijuana does not need to be smoked to be effective, and your statement is a bit circular in that the illegality of marijuana means any use is classified as "abuse".

Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Plummeted at the START of Prohibition back when liquor was at its hardest to find and then ended up slightly below the pre-Prohibition levels by the end of Prohibition.
It dropped by 70% initially, and then crept up to 60-70% of what it was before the ban. If you want to call that "slightly below", then be my guest.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM

990 posts, read 939,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I did say I was under the impression the ban was suggested for the border towns, because of drug tourism. Yes, the locals ARE tired of it.
The locals really aren't. It's just the very vocal conservative minority, the same people who are also anti-immigration and who don't care about protecting the tourism industry in The Netherlands. Trust me, this "ban" will simply not happen anywhere other than a couple random towns. Even Maastricht may not go through with it eventually when they notice tax revenue falling. Amsterdam is only another hour or so away from Maastricht so the ban in that city will in no way stop the traffic to Germany/France/Belgium regardless of what the idiotic anti-freedom people think.

Even the High Times Cannabis Cup will still happen there.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
The locals really aren't. It's just the very vocal conservative minority, the same people who are also anti-immigration and who don't care about protecting the tourism industry in The Netherlands.
Yup, and the two go hand in hand. Conservatives in those countries are xenophobic just like conservatives here, to the point that there's even a pretty pronounced anti-American streak on the European right--although that is often glided over depending on the needs of the moment.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, and fail miserably while doing it. Just keep locking people up and building more prisons. In 50 years, we can propose buying Greenland from Denmark so that we'll have a big enough prison to house everyone.

Yea!!! That's the ticket. Lock 'em up!!

Gosh, Americans are so brilliant.
Easy for those people to stay out of prison... don't use illegal drugs and you won't go to prison.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:11 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I'd prefer people not feel the need to take any drugs in the first place. I never understood why people take drugs, do they really think falling for illusions will solve their problems? Eat chocolate or bananas, they give you happy feelings, too, and that without ruining your body and mind
Yeah, call me a nerd, I don't care
You are not a nerd, you are showing common sense.

I didn't know that about bananas, though

Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You are not a nerd, you are showing common sense.

I didn't know that about bananas, though
Yes, there are several foods of that kind:
Feeling low? Try happy food - Times Of India
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies