Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,586,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
His wife now calls him General Betrayus.

Wives are not fools, she knew about the affair, and she's just as strong as he is.

He is now free to write his book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,631,880 times
People that can't be bought are ousted..always.

F&F were full of "yes" men. I don't take Petraeus to be a "yes" man.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,700,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Wives are not fools, she knew about the affair, and she's just as strong as he is.

He is now free to write his book.
Yep.

He may not testify under oath but he'll talk. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him go under oath. I think he wants to talk (he said he was looking forward to it). and decided within himself that he didn't want to live his life under the cloud of blackmail. Now the WH doesn't have anything to hold over him.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,215,085 times
WOW is this the same Gen. Petraeus that led the Iraq "surge" in Bush's oil war that the righties are now throwing under the bus???

4,088 posts, read 4,396,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I can't believe how simple this is and how few people get it.

1. The WH knew about the affair.
2. Petraeus was looking forward to testifying.
3. The WH told him if he says anything that indicts them, they reveal the affair.
4. So he said he would reveal the affair on his own which gives him ability to testify any way he wishes.

The affair was going to get out, either by him or by the WH if he gave damaging testimony. He's a straightfoward man who decided the best course was to meet it head on and get it over with.

Now he's free!

And he'll be talking about Benghazi. You betcha!
So, Petraeus is going to be "talking about Beghazi", huh?

You know the WSJ kinda started the ball rolling last week, with an article exposing Petraeus as the one person to be most responsible for Benghazi, right?

Or do you think the WSJ is IN ON THE PLOT TO PROTECT THE PRESIDENT???

The beauty is, if you and your fellows in this thread are correct in your suspicions, we won't have to wait long to find out.

BRB, I'm gonna make some popcorn!

8,347 posts, read 7,256,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well I said before the election that Patreus was going to step down after the election. My Crystal ball is working very well. Benghazi was a CIA operation and he was in charge of the CIA, he has to fall on the sword.
And, I might ad, if he is called to testify on bengazi, he doesn't have to say anything, like oliver north did.

Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,631,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
WOW is this the same Gen. Petraeus that led the Iraq "surge" in Bush's oil war that the righties are now throwing under the bus???
Doesn't look like it's the Right throwing him under the bus to me.
Looks more to me like he couldn't be bought before his testimony.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,397,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
This is HIGHLY baffling.

Petraeus is saying he is resigning because he had an extramarital affair, and he considers such activity to be too improper for a general in the armed forces, or something along those lines.

Well, maybe that's so. But... why at this particular instant? He could have felt the same way last week, or last year. What prompted the resignation now, three days after the election?

And just a week or two before he is scheduled to testify before Congress about what went on in the attack in Benghazi?

SPECULATION:

I have no evidence that the following is what happened. But nothing hangs together to me, except this:

Petraeus, as head of the CIA, knew of course about the CIA compound near the consulate. Once the terrorist attack on the consulate began, the CIA soldiers and personnel requested several times for permission to go over the the consulate and help fight the attackers and/or rescue the American personnel there. And they were refused each time. Finally they disobeyed orders and went there anyway, and did what they could. (This much is documented to be true, and publicly disseminated)

Could Petraeus himself, be the one who refused them permission to help? And could he have done it only after being directly ordered by his Commander in Chief (Obama) to tell the CIA people to stand down? And could he have strongly protested to Obama, saying it would be disgraceful and deceitful to the CIA personnel, to order them to stand down instead of helping? And Obama ordered him to tell them to stand down anyway?

And later, when Petraeus was scheduled to testify to Congress, could Obama have directly ordered him not to say anything about certain subjects, including Obama's orders to him to stand down? And could Obama have given the excuse that such information was "classified", or otherwise harmful to American national security, and that's why he was ordering Petraeus to not talk about it? And Petraeus knew that was a complete crock, and knew that Obama was merely covering his *ss, Nixon-style?

And so Petraeus was faced with a dilemma: His duty as a general, to obey a direct order from his Commander in Chief... while he knew that order was based solely on scurrilous grounds, and possibly harmful in itself?

And, just maybe, a person from Chicago had a little meeting with him, and hinted that this little affair he'd been having with a woman not his wife, would be revealed in public if Petraeus talked too much about certain subjects? A person whose name rhymes with Saxelrod?

And Petraeus knew damned well the information he would give to Congress was neither "classified" nor harmful to National Security, but only harmful to Obama's political career, and SHOULD be revealed to the Congressional investigating committee. And he decided that the only way he could do the right thing, was to remove himself from the chain of command, and so NOT have to obey Obama's order to shut up any more. And Mr. Chicago-person's little talk pissed Petraeus off just a little too much, and backfired?

And maybe Petraeus at that point decided that Obama and his cohorts coudl just go f*ck themselves. And he called some reporters into his office, calmly told them he'd been having an affair, giving names and dates (thus removing Mr. Chicago-person's threats), and announced that he was resigning immediately (thus removing the duty to obey Obama's order).

And now he will testify to Congress soon, with nothing anyone can do to shut him up.

Well, that's purely speculation by me. I have no evidence that any of it happened - nothing but guesswork.

But nothing else makes even the remotest sense. Anybody else have any better ideas?

Just one more thing: Petraeus had better stay out of small aircraft between now and his testimony date. And stay far away from Ft. Marcy Park.

I always figured that was exactly what happened with Arnold Schwartzenegger. When first elected gov he was full of anti-tax rhetoric, but he completely caved, sending Cali into the crapper. Did somebody maybe let him know that they knew about his kid w/ the maid?

I kind of figured this would become an important part of the political landscape post-Clinton. Clinton was almost brought down by the Rutherford Institute, which decided to work w/ Paula Jones. I suppose everyone who is anyone in the political world has a 'Cheaters' unit on retainer by now.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:02 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,700,600 times
You can't make this stuff up:

The book the mistress, Paula Broadwell, wrote is called: All In.

How on earth can news pundits talk about this without laughing?

Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,874,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Stop watching the LAME stream media and you will learn that Petraeus ALSO has 'issues' with clown Obozo over the Libya fiasco.
Eh oh!

Quote:
In particular, members of Congress and other officials demanding answers about the Benghazi attack on the US consulate that resulted in the deaths of four Americans – including the US ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stephens, and two CIA agents – will want to know if there was any link between Petraeus’s extramarital activities and what has been increasingly criticized as the CIA’s weak performance on the night of the Benghazi attack.

Quote:
The Federal Bureau of Investigation has been probing Petraeus and the potential security risks posed by his affair,
Petraeus resigns over affair, as criticism grows of CIA response in Libya - CSMonitor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies