Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Very few retailers offer double or triple pay anymore for Sundays or holidays.

Time-and-a-half is typical.
OK, I remember double/triple pay being typical about 10 years ago. Obviously things are quite a bit different now economically.

Nevertheless, are these people being forced to work over the holidays? Assuming they are being paid time and a half, then I'm assuming most are volunteering. Even if they're not volunteering to work those specific hours, they are voluntarily working in these jobs. They are free to quit. In this economy, the complainers' jobs will be filled in no time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you really find it appropriate for laws to dictate business hours?
The OP is referring to Paramus, New Jersey, the shopping mecca of America.

The laws in Paramus are strict. Stores are closed on Sunday, and they can't open before 7 a.m. or be open after 11 p.m.

Paramus does very very well despite such strict laws.

According to wikipedia: "The borough is one of the largest shopping meccas in the country, generating over $5 billion in annual retail sales, more than any other zip code in the United States."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramus,_New_Jersey

Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
I wouldn't put selling crap at Walmart on the same level as police officers, doctors, nurses, et al.

Did you see what happened at Walmart a few years ago?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/bu...anted=all&_r=0

So sad and really, really sick

I wish the police had pepper-sprayed that crowd.

So your saying that people working at retail jobs are of lessor value as people than the others that I mentioned?

What about all the hundred of thousands of low paid security guards that work over the holidays and 24/7 shifts all year round to protect stuff. Are they less of a person than a LEO?

I worked in corporate investigations for a large retail company for 15 years. I worked lots of holidays preventing crime to keep prices down for consumers and saving profits for millions of investors many of them public employee pensions. Was I any less of a person for doing that job?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
OK, I remember double/triple pay being typical about 10 years ago. Obviously things are quite a bit different now economically.

Nevertheless, are these people being forced to work over the holidays? Assuming they are being paid time and a half, then I'm assuming most are volunteering. Even if they're not volunteering to work those specific hours, they are voluntarily working in these jobs. They are free to quit. In this economy, the complainers' jobs will be filled in no time.
I knew someone who used to work at a store and they paid double time EVERY Sunday. That changed quite a few years ago.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Love all the **** the little people posts. Ya know you righties are right. In fact they should come in for free, but only after management beats them for an hour before hand.

I did the first Thanksgiving open 2 years ago. I work commission. They brought all the salespeople in. None of us made even minimum wage that day. The winner of the day sold like $1k so he made a whopping 30 or so bucks. Meanwhile the pile of turd that ordered the whole chain open sure as heck never made it to work that day. Yea I know, he is the uber great man and so much better than the thousands of people he screwed over.

I woulda made 4 bucks for 6 hours of work except they returned the item the next day so I got my Thanksgiving screwed up for free. Oh wait, it costs me a gallon and a half of gas to get there and back. They screwed up my thanksgiving and it cost me 5 bucks.

BTW NO premium pay AT ALL for the hourlies. Not even time and a half.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
"Big retail stores plans to stay open on Thanksgiving for new "Black Friday"... Employees against it!"

The unemployed and under employed don't care if they are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Too bad they aren't unionized......they would have a contract to protect them from things like this.
No it would not, it would only require that those FORCED to work would be paid doubletime and those forced would be either those with less seniority or less hours than others ( if overtime parity is written into the contract).

Granted they would have massive call offs probably.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 PM

601 posts, read 460,075 times
People are already lining up...

Yup, Some People Are Already in Line for Black Friday

Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I knew someone who used to work at a store and they paid double time EVERY Sunday. That changed quite a few years ago.
I have never heard of that. Maybe that happened decades and decades ago, but most places have been open Sundays for quite a while and Sunday work in retail has not been uncommon for a long time.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I did the first Thanksgiving open 2 years ago. I work commission. They brought all the salespeople in. None of us made even minimum wage that day. The winner of the day sold like $1k so he made a whopping 30 or so bucks. Meanwhile the pile of turd that ordered the whole chain open sure as heck never made it to work that day. Yea I know, he is the uber great man and so much better than the thousands of people he screwed over.

I woulda made 4 bucks for 6 hours of work except they returned the item the next day so I got my Thanksgiving screwed up for free. Oh wait, it costs me a gallon and a half of gas to get there and back. They screwed up my thanksgiving and it cost me 5 bucks.

BTW NO premium pay AT ALL for the hourlies. Not even time and a half.
Do you understand what the word "choice" means?

You made the choice to be there.

Choice is a word the left usually loves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies