Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'll bet there are many employee's who would be willing to work for the additional extra money they will get by working on a holiday.

Maybe some people need to realize not every American thinks those days are special and sacrosanct.....
I agree.

There are probably some who are grateful for an "excuse" to graciously get out of extended family gatherings, as well.

It's also not unreasonable to alter dinner time to an earlier or later hour, in order to accommodate those who are working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,460 times
Cry me a river. My wife is an RN and every hospital she has worked at required working on either Xmas or Thanksgiving. The one she's at now rotates the two... one year you work T-day, next year Xmas. Furthermore, if you work T-day, you have to work New Years. No one is allowed vacation over Xmas. We haven't been home for Xmas in a decade. This year we'll be doing Thanksgiving on Friday since she has to work Wed and Thurs night in a pediatric CVICU saving the lives of kids with heart defects. But yeah, feel sorry for the Target worker who has to go in at 8 pm on a holiday once a year.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Love all the **** the little people posts. Ya know you righties are right. In fact they should come in for free, but only after management beats them for an hour before hand.

I did the first Thanksgiving open 2 years ago. I work commission. They brought all the salespeople in. None of us made even minimum wage that day. The winner of the day sold like $1k so he made a whopping 30 or so bucks. Meanwhile the pile of turd that ordered the whole chain open sure as heck never made it to work that day. Yea I know, he is the uber great man and so much better than the thousands of people he screwed over.

I woulda made 4 bucks for 6 hours of work except they returned the item the next day so I got my Thanksgiving screwed up for free. Oh wait, it costs me a gallon and a half of gas to get there and back. They screwed up my thanksgiving and it cost me 5 bucks.

BTW NO premium pay AT ALL for the hourlies. Not even time and a half.
So your bitching because you don't have better job skills to get a different job? Do you call your boss master and receive beatings when you dont make your quota?

Oh yeah thats right there's the door your free to go do something else if you don't like it.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'll bet there are many employee's who would be willing to work for the additional extra money they will get by working on a holiday.

Maybe some people need to realize not every American thinks those days are special and sacrosanct.....
What about those, as myself, who believes I need those holidays off? Leave it to those who want to be there, not me. I want to celebrate with family not being fake to customers all day (yes about 95% of the time we're being forced to be "fast, fun, and friendly"). Retail is a serious job that some consumers just don't understand. When I worked at the big-box retailer with the motto "fast, fun, and friendly" it was anything but that. We had to bust our ass (especially us males, it's EXTREMELY sexist in the retail industry) asking every guest if they would like to apply for a damn credit card 9/10 they don't want, then it's high-demand, you may have a kid throwin up in the bathroom that you will need to clean quickly as possible, while wearing a radio that your superiors will keep asking "where are you, you need to help someone take something to their car" (luckily I got tips everytime except once when this ******* tried to talk down on my political ventures). You could work from literally 3-11:30 (end up stayin until 12) then have to come in at 8 in the morning. Guess how much the pay is? $8 a hour usually, and that is just too little for all we do. I was a cart-attendant/cashier (worked as cart attendant maybe 10 times total because they said I was excellent with customers, which I am because I care about their experience in the store but that doesn't mean I necessarily am happy) and using the cart machine is no joke, especially with pedestrians pretending not to see you and you have to risk your own body to stop the machine. All this while companies continue preaching to us that unions are bad for business. If they actually cared for us, and didn't neglect is maybe they wouldn't be needed but they honestly are needed in most establishments.

So with that rant, I'm saying retail employees (such as myself formerly) deserve a break on holidays!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Why the hell would anyone want to go shopping on Thanksgiving night? Or even Black Friday for that matter? To hell with that mob scene. I'm parking myself on my MIL's couch and we're gonna drink spiked egg nog together while my wife goes "bargain-hunting."

Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
What about those, as myself, who believes I need those holidays off? Leave it to those who want to be there, not me. I want to celebrate with family not being fake to customers all day (yes about 95% of the time we're being forced to be "fast, fun, and friendly"). Retail is a serious job that some consumers just don't understand. When I worked at the big-box retailer with the motto "fast, fun, and friendly" it was anything but that. We had to bust our ass (especially us males, it's EXTREMELY sexist in the retail industry) asking every guest if they would like to apply for a damn credit card 9/10 they don't want, then it's high-demand, you may have a kid throwin up in the bathroom that you will need to clean quickly as possible, while wearing a radio that your superiors will keep asking "where are you, you need to help someone take something to their car" (luckily I got tips everytime except once when this ******* tried to talk down on my political ventures). You could work from literally 3-11:30 (end up stayin until 12) then have to come in at 8 in the morning. Guess how much the pay is? $8 a hour usually, and that is just too little for all we do. I was a cart-attendant/cashier (worked as cart attendant maybe 10 times total because they said I was excellent with customers, which I am because I care about their experience in the store but that doesn't mean I necessarily am happy) and using the cart machine is no joke, especially with pedestrians pretending not to see you and you have to risk your own body to stop the machine. All this while companies continue preaching to us that unions are bad for business. If they actually cared for us, and didn't neglect is maybe they wouldn't be needed but they honestly are needed in most establishments.

So with that rant, I'm saying retail employees (such as myself formerly) deserve a break on holidays!
I say your a complainer that needs to get better job skills and go find a different job if you dont like it.

You dont deserve anything other than what you do to improve your lot in life.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Why the hell would anyone want to go shopping on Thanksgiving night? Or even Black Friday for that matter? To hell with that mob scene. I'm parking myself on my MIL's couch and we're gonna drink spiked egg nog together while my wife goes "bargain-hunting."
Probably the same people that camp out for days to see a new movie or by the latest Apple products that they could by the next day without wasting their time to get it 1 day before.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So your saying that people working at retail jobs are of lessor value as people than the others that I mentioned?

What about all the hundred of thousands of low paid security guards that work over the holidays and 24/7 shifts all year round to protect stuff. Are they less of a person than a LEO?

I worked in corporate investigations for a large retail company for 15 years. I worked lots of holidays preventing crime to keep prices down for consumers and saving profits for millions of investors many of them public employee pensions. Was I any less of a person for doing that job?
Of course I'm not saying that the people are of lesser value Are you serious?

I used to work in retail while working my way though college, and I really liked some aspects of it. We had a lot of fun. (Thankfully I never worked at a "Walmart" type store.) But then the big corporations changed the way the stores were run and made us all miserable. The business really changed over the years -- and not for the better.

And I certainly never would have said that my job at the store was as important as a doctor or a nurse!

I'm just saying that you can't compare the critical value of a police officer or a paramedic to the "importance" of selling polyester crap that can be sold any day of the week. Those people save lives.

Quite frankly, many of the so-called "bargains" that people obtain on Black Friday are actually cheaper later on in the season.

Anyway, if people want to go out to shop on Black Friday they can if they want. At least I don't have to get up at 4 a.m. anymore. I can sleep late . . . as a matter of fact I plan to sleep from Black Friday right through Sunday.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I have never heard of that. Maybe that happened decades and decades ago, but most places have been open Sundays for quite a while and Sunday work in retail has not been uncommon for a long time.
It's commom at Union shops.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Love all the **** the little people posts. Ya know you righties are right. In fact they should come in for free, but only after management beats them for an hour before hand.

I did the first Thanksgiving open 2 years ago. I work commission. They brought all the salespeople in. None of us made even minimum wage that day. The winner of the day sold like $1k so he made a whopping 30 or so bucks. Meanwhile the pile of turd that ordered the whole chain open sure as heck never made it to work that day. Yea I know, he is the uber great man and so much better than the thousands of people he screwed over.

I woulda made 4 bucks for 6 hours of work except they returned the item the next day so I got my Thanksgiving screwed up for free. Oh wait, it costs me a gallon and a half of gas to get there and back. They screwed up my thanksgiving and it cost me 5 bucks.

BTW NO premium pay AT ALL for the hourlies. Not even time and a half.
None of this surprises me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies