Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,432,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
De Nile is not just a river in Egypt.

Yeah. It's only "class warfare" when everyone else fights back, right?

“There’s class warfare, all right,” Mr. Buffett said, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM

25,856 posts, read 16,560,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The really rich you do not see...as mentioned - I knew a guy with billions of dollars...He rode the subway..lived modestly and did not flaunt material wealth. I think the rich we are talking about here are the new rich...The Porche and Mercedes crowd...They come and go ....really rich people are invisible.
Totally agree with this. When I see people showing off wealth I always think they have money but they have issues too. Materialistic things mean nothing to me, accomplishments and education mean something to me. I know people who are obsessed with money and things. They are just messed up people who have no clue of what they are supposed to be doing with the short time God gives them on this Earth.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,170,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach
The really rich you do not see...as mentioned - I knew a guy with billions of dollars...He rode the subway..lived modestly and did not flaunt material wealth. I think the rich we are talking about here are the new rich...The Porche and Mercedes crowd...They come and go ....really rich people are invisible.
I have to disagree because I think it all depends on where you live. Do you consider Billy Joel and Rupert Murdoch "really rich"? They're certainly 1%ers, no? I have seen them both in public several times within the past year.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,336,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Totally agree with this. When I see people showing off wealth I always think they have money but they have issues too. Materialistic things mean nothing to me, accomplishments and education mean something to me. I know people who are obsessed with money and things. They are just messed up people who have no clue of what they are supposed to be doing with the short time God gives them on this Earth.
What you are talking about is the difference between being "rich" and being "wealthy". Being rich is a temporary monetary thing, most sports figures, lottery winners and entertainers are "rich", while people like the Mellons, Carnegies and bushes are wealthy. Wealth transcends generations while the money that the rich have does not last very long.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,959,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The rich generate a lot of anger in America. Most feel that they skirt by without paying the price to be an American.

Do you feel that they need to pay a lot more in taxes to fix our economy?

I have lived around very wealthy people for many years. No, I do not feel any jealousy or anger toward people who are rich, even if they inherited their wealth. What I do resent is those who do not pay their fair share in most cases. It doesn't necessarily need to be in the form of income tax, however.

I've met several people who have huge estates, luxury cars and millions in investments who pay less than 10% because of the way they move money around in the market. Some are very generous and others are stingy and complain about any programs for the needy. Those are the people I resent. There are a lot of wealthy people who give selflessly to their communities, both Democrat and Republican.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah. It's only "class warfare" when everyone else fights back, right?

“There’s class warfare, all right,” Mr. Buffett said, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”
Yep! The poor and middle class are just supposed to bend over and take it because the rich are endowed by right of birth to rule. What an ass-backwards way of looking at things!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,318,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I pity the rich, because most of them are going to hell.
You are the judge that gets to decide this I am sure.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,170,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yep! The poor and middle class are just supposed to bend over and take it because the rich are endowed by right of birth to rule. What an ass-backwards way of looking at things!
I have plenty of wealthy friends whose parents were blue collar, very middle class. They EARNED their wealth by excelling at what they were good at. In fact, if you associated with anyone from "old money", you would find many of them have cut their children out of their wills altogether and end up donating their estate to charity.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So why are you poor? Why didn't you do what it takes to get rich. My bad,... you prefer to be a leech and a drag on society.
See, TriMT? Just like this^^^

No awareness of reality, how life is for others, etc. Just petty (often erroneous) assumptions, nastiness and hate. But it is the poor and middle class that are terrible class warmongers. GMAFB

Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
See, TriMT? Just like this^^^

No awareness of reality, how life is for others, etc. Just petty (often erroneous) assumptions, nastiness and hate. But it is the poor and middle class that are terrible class warmongers. GMAFB
So now you are using my id to make things up lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies