Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Clinton didn't attempt to completely eliminate the deficit.

insofar as i know the last time it was attempted was January of 1835; you should read up on that.
Give me a break. Liberals have been trumpeting for 15 years Clinton's efforts towards a budget surplus and the eventual ruin of those alleged surpluses by Bush. And now all of a sudden Clinton wasn't actually working towards eliminating the deficit?

LOL

You folks should try to keep your story straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Clinton didn't attempt to completely eliminate the deficit.

insofar as i know the last time a president tried it was January of 1835; you should read up on that.
Oh is that what we have heard from Democrats since 1999?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
In case some think President Obama in 4 years amassed a 16 trillion dollar personal fortune and has it all stashed in a Swiss bank account.
Natalie Pace: 10 Things You Need to Know About the $16 Trillion U.S. Debt.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Deflection. Is this your excuse for voting for Barack Obama?

I didn't vote for him, but I guess that isn't obvious to a block of cement one sets a post into. I do not vote Democrat or Republican. In the past I voted straight ticket Republican, well trained in my youth to do so by my father who did not have my resources in the study of economic history. That is why I attack the Republican more viciously. I view them as heretics, always more hated then the dumb, brute pagans which I view the Democrats now to be. When you hold a welfare treat like a dog biscuit under their nose, I expect them to eat it and then make sloppy drinking noises. Its the conservatives of once my own ilk that I expected to understand the long view, but alas, they are a most agonizing disappointment like a lot of pigs at the trough, dressed in silk. So now I hunt down their barren of logic mythologies, and burn them at a stake.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 11-28-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That is correct. As Keynes said, the boom, not the slump, is the time for austerity. But the deficit hawks can’t make that argument, because they have in fact been arguing for austerity for the last four years. If they had gotten their way, they'd have driven the economy into a depression.
Lets do not forget the other half of Keynes theory where the gvt should save a surplus for bad economic times. Did Clinton follow that? what did he do with the surplus? he cut everyone a check to stimulate the economy, right. Be honest, our economic situation is a bi partisan cluster f***.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Oh is that what we have heard from Democrats since 1999?
But that's what we're hearing now because Obama has to look good.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Lets do not forget the other half of Keynes theory where the gvt should save a surplus for bad economic times. Did Clinton follow that? what did he do with the surplus? he cut everyone a check to stimulate the economy, right. Be honest, our economic situation is a bi partisan cluster f***.

That is the irony. When the government is running a surplus, its broke. The only way the government can spend is to impact the private sector during a surplus. 3% unemployment means there is no idle work force to command. Running a surplus is the process of creating unemployment in the private sector. That people don't understand that the fiscal affairs are a mirror image of private affairs is the folly of all time. When the private sector is gaining financial wealth, the public sector must lose it and vice versa. All debts are assets and all financial assets are debts.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Texas has a rainy day fund. And we used some for the education budget cuts.
And, because Texas didn't drain the fund and give all the money to education, the government got bashed.
But Texas government stood their ground and said no to the demand for depletion of funds.

Most want immediate gratification with no thought to the future.

Texas has tapped into it over the years, but never depleted it and replenished it when revenue increased.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:58 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas has a rainy day fund. And we used some for the education budget cuts.
And, because Texas didn't drain the fund and give all the money to education, the government got bashed.
But Texas government stood their ground and said no to the demand for depletion of funds.

Most want immediate gratification with no thought to the future.

Texas has tapped into it over the years, but never depleted it and replenished it when revenue increased.
We have a rainy day fund here in Ohio that was depleted and of course ran up budget deficits during a {D} administration. Gov Kasich put the budget back in balance and money was added to the rainy day fund. {D}s have been screaming bloody murder for more spending along with a few {R}s but it looks like Kasich is holding his ground. It looks like it is working, Ohio has one of lowest UE rates and lead the nation for a month in job creation.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I didn't vote for him, but I guess that isn't obvious to a block of cement one sets a post into. I do not vote Democrat or Republican. In the past I voted straight ticket Republican, well trained in my youth to do so by my father who did not have my resources in the study of economic history. That is why I attack the Republican more viciously. I view them as heretics, always more hated then the dumb, brute pagans which I view the Democrats now to be. When you hold a welfare treat like a dog biscuit under their nose, I expect them to eat it and then make sloppy drinking noises. Its the conservatives of once my own ilk that I expected to understand the long view, but alas, they are a most agonizing disappointment like a lot of pigs at the trough, dressed in silk. So now I hunt down their barren of logic mythologies, and burn them at a stake.

Wow

It sounds like a conflicted Von Helsing. I'll bet that burning at the stake bit hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies