Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
"If reality wasn't so serious, liberalism would be mere comic relief for the thinking mind."
Fox dittoheads and teabaggers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
It's pretty simple. Social liberalism to them trumps free market principles. Michael Barone would call these people "gentry liberals". Culture plays a role too. I would also add that many of these people benefit from government contracts,and Democrats are the party of government.
Republicans are the party of corporate oligarchy. Dems are the party of representative government.
Please give up this right-wing script - it has whiskers.
There is no "free market" with corporate subsidies and a congress controlled by lobbyists - revolving-door congress as a stepping stone to cushy corporate jobs.
Just another republican lie to fool the "riff raff".

Last edited by detwahDJ; 11-29-2012 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
There's no need to speak slowly if you aren't saying anything.

Again, let's try to follow the bouncing ball here...

how are the least educated and least financially stable who supported Obama "better off?"

Let's leave the "tidbits" at home and get down to common sense.

Since you have failed to answer the question the first three times...I'll answer it for you...
the quick and easy answer is...they aren't.
I'm sure you can invent a whole bunch of questions, but I can only tell you what the poll said, I'm not going to interpret the results and draw conclusions for you. I will say based on the poll Most mittens voters are worse off most Obama voters are better off.

You do understand, income levels are only one component in the standard of living formula. Well being and happiness is a big part of living a good life. 30% of the voters questioned said they were angry, 97% of those voted for mittens. Not sounding like a happy bunch.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The premise of this thread is false from the start. My county is one of the 20 wealthiest counties in the country and it voted 70% for Romney. And it has previously been named the wealthiest county in the country when adjusted for cost of living, and also previously been deemed the most conservatively friendly county in the country.
My husband is a software engineer and an Independent, and he voted for Romney due to Obama's poor record over the past 4 years. And he said at his office there was much more support for Romney this year than Obama. Four years ago it was pretty equal.
Actually the thread very valid. People Warren Buffet, Howard Schultz, Steven Speilberg, Mark Zuckerberg and other extremely wealthy people are big supporters of President Obama.

You can also cross reference this site:

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With this site:

Bing Elections 2012 States

and get some pretty interesting information.

For example Loudoun County, Virgina has the highest median household income of any county in the country
at $119,134
President Obama: 51.62%
Mitt Romney: 47.14%

#2 In income median household Fairfax County, Virginia $105,797
President Obama: 59.26%
Mitt Romney: 39.48%

#3 Arlington County $100,735
President Obama:69.22%
Mitt Romney: 29.36%

#4 Hunterdon County, New Jersey $99,099
President Obama: 40.03%
Mitt Romney: 58.86%

#5 Howard County, Maryland $98,953
President Obama: 59.92%
Mitt Romney: 38.32%

#6 Somerset Country, New Jersey $96,360
President Obama: 52.00%
Mitt Romney: 46.81%

#7 Prince William Country, Virginia $95,146
President Obama: 57.42%
Mitt Romney: 41.40%

#8 Fauquier Country, Virginia $93,762
President Obama: 39.31%
Mitt Romney: 59.30%

#9 Douglas Country Colorado $93,573
President Obama: 36.02%
Mitt Romney: 62.55%

#10 Montgomery County, Maryland $92,909
President Obama: 70.88%
Mitt Romney: 27.45%

For the talk from Conservatives about President Obama winning by "Promising To Give People Stuff" he did pretty damn good with high income households winning SEVEN OUT OF TEN OF THE HIGHEST MEDIAN INCOME COUNTIES IN THE COUNTRY

Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Why do so many smart, rich people support the Democrats?

Because they keep stealing our money..

Too bad they won't get out the checkbook and write a check to the IRS but they would rather spend other people's money. It's the Liberal way!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post

Too bad they won't get out the checkbook and write a check to the IRS but they would rather spend other people's money. It's the Liberal way!
Useless posts like this don't help your cause at all. This desperate flailing is why the right has lost credibility.
Want to regain credibility? Don't do this any more - just trying to help.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post

Why have another thread talking about how the top 5% pay about 40% of all income taxes.

Can you guys at least TRY to keep your story straight?.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 AM

990 posts, read 939,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
My theory for why the Asians and Indians vote Democrat is because they are turned off by significant factions within the Republican party that are obsessed with Christianity. If Republicans could sideline the southeastern social conservatives in favor of western libertarian conservatives, they would have a much better chance at getting more Asian voters.

Asians are a hardworking people and don't need government freebies. What the Democrats do for them, aside from leaving religion out of the discussion, is beyond me.
Did you ever think (I know, thinking is probably a foreign concept to you) that maybe people vote for welfare and unemployment programs to make their COMMUNITIES better? I will never be poor and never have been, but I support social programs for the most part because they benefit me indirectly. I benefit from better schools even though I am done with school and have no kids because better schools mean better kids which means less crime and fewer teenaged mothers. I support planned parenthood because birth control benefits me by keeping the population down in the low-income segment. I support welfare (to an extent, I believe there needs to be restrictions and it needs to only be for housing, transportation and sustenance, not iPhones, Flat Screens and Xboxes) because without welfare a lot of those people would be on the streets or breaking into my condo to rob me.

You see how it works?

And this is coming from a person who has never voted for a Democrat. I'm a Libertarian through-and-through, but I prefer Democrats to Republicans (now, I was a GOP supporter when Bob Dole was the leader of the party) because of these opinions.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM

990 posts, read 939,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Food for thought from the "other" coast.

Wall Street's Huge Bet on Romney - OpenSecrets Blog | OpenSecrets

Apparently not all smarts go for the dems.
Wait, so giving money to a loser is smart?

Strange. I thought picking winners was a smart thing to do with your money. I guess throwing it in the trash is smarter, right?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
The (R)etards are really misunderstanding all this.

We do not so much "support Obama," or Democrats, per se.

We just really, really, dislike Romney and you.

Does that make more sense?

Just trying to help.

so tell me something?

what will the democrats do when the people actually working start to refuse to pay into the system that democrats so badly want?

alot of others as democrats so like to say, did not support romney or any other republican. I for one am at that point where it will be just as profitable for me to just stop paying into the system, but not take out of the system either. just sell everything and move back out into the countryside.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Actually the thread very valid. People Warren Buffet, Howard Schultz, Steven Speilberg, Mark Zuckerberg and other extremely wealthy people are big supporters of President Obama.

You can also cross reference this site:

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With this site:

Bing Elections 2012 States

and get some pretty interesting information.

For example Loudoun County, Virgina has the highest median household income of any county in the country
at $119,134
President Obama: 51.62%
Mitt Romney: 47.14%

Quote:
Nevertheless, after giving Senator Barack Obama nearly 54% of its presidential vote in 2008, the county shifted back to the GOP in 2009; Republican Robert F. McDonnell received 61% of the gubernatorial vote. Voters also removed two incumbent Democratic delegates, making Loudoun's state House delegation all-Republican.

#2 In income median household Fairfax County, Virginia $105,797
President Obama: 59.26%
Mitt Romney: 39.48%

Quote:
Fairfax County was once considered a Republican bastion. However, in recent years Democrats have made significant inroads, gaining control of the Board of Supervisors and the School Board (officially nonpartisan) as well as the offices of Sheriff and Commonwealth Attorney. Democrats also control the majority of Fairfax seats in the Virginia House of Delegates and Senate.
#3 Arlington County $100,735
President Obama:69.22%
Mitt Romney: 29.36%

#4 Hunterdon County, New Jersey $99,099
President Obama: 40.03%
Mitt Romney: 58.86%

#5 Howard County, Maryland $98,953
President Obama: 59.92%
Mitt Romney: 38.32%

#6 Somerset Country, New Jersey $96,360
President Obama: 52.00%
Mitt Romney: 46.81%

Quote:
Somerset County has been known as one of New Jersey's more conservative counties. In the 2004 U.S. Presidential election, George W. Bush carried Somerset County by a 4.3% margin over John Kerry, with Kerry carrying the state by 6.7% over Bush.[22] However, in 2008, Barack Obama became the first Democratic Presidential nominee to carry the county since Lyndon Johnson in 1964

#7 Prince William Country, Virginia $95,146
President Obama: 57.42%
Mitt Romney: 41.40%

#8 Fauquier Country, Virginia $93,762
President Obama: 39.31%
Mitt Romney: 59.30%

#9 Douglas Country Colorado $93,573
President Obama: 36.02%
Mitt Romney: 62.55%

#10 Montgomery County, Maryland $92,909
President Obama: 70.88%
Mitt Romney: 27.45%

For the talk from Conservatives about President Obama winning by "Promising To Give People Stuff" he did pretty damn good with high income households winning SEVEN OUT OF TEN OF THE HIGHEST MEDIAN INCOME COUNTIES IN THE COUNTRY
As you can see I could go on but CD posters like to pull figures quickly and make asinine assumptions. I keep reading in this thread that conservatives tend not to understand complex issues but it seems the 'left' likes to over simplify issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies