Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Please provide us with any cases where the ACLU defended a student's right to Christian prayer or free speech which mentions God or Christ in our public schools.
They don't have to because students already have the right to pray in school!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Is this based on any sort of reliable survey or study, or is it just what you believe? If there is some data, I'd like to see it.
LOL .....Are you for real?

Pretty much every modern study in the history of this topic has shown conclusive evidence that atheists are not only more intelligent but (drum role) less likely to commit crime. Studies have also shown that atheists tend have better morals than the religious as well. It's well documented that atheists are less likely to lie and cheat as well as commit infidelity. The reason for this has nothing to do with ones belief in god. It has to do with human intelligence and while not all religious people are stupid, pretty much all stupid people are religious.

The results of the Christians vs atheists in prison investigation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
Atheists don't commit as much crime as the Religious do

Studies Show Atheists are More Ethical and Intelligent | The Religious Post

Predominantly Atheist Countries Have Lowest Crime Rate According To Study - Religion - Nairaland

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...m-and-religion

Religion, Atheism and Crime

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...s-and-offenses

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/12/2...d-violence.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrelig..._note-dentsu-4

Last edited by redfish1; 12-01-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 02:37 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I didn't say it wasn't. I said You hypocrites who cry "persecution" when a six year old kid is not allowed to talk about god at a school assembly, would go ballistic if another six year old kid was allowed to talk about atheism at that same school assembly.

Were is all your outrage when the Secular Student Alliance has been denied their rights to form atheist clubs at high schools all over this country?

Atheists head for high schools with new clubs for Godless teens
Here are 6 lines from Your poem [post 27] ---

Clergy don't care that there is no God;
Their only concern is to inherit your wad.

Some force a tear and fake a good cry;
But here's what they think whilst they watch their flock die...

Hurry up! Expire!
The church needs a spire.

If you equate that to the one line from the 6 year-old's poem, you've fallen off the deep end.

My opinion would be the same if the student said, He prayed to Allah or He didn't believe in god. None of those approach advocating for, establishing, or denying religion or non-religion, at least not to normal people. As for atheist clubs, they should be treated the same as religious clubs.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,286 times
Liberal here:

If the teacher had assigned the poem to all the kids to read, ok. But a six-year old reading her own poem? The school should have told the complaining parent to put a sock in it. And sent their kid to special lessons in tolerance since the parents obviously have deficiencies.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
We have our fairies, you have your fairies....

Old 12-01-2012, 03:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Liberal here:

If the teacher had assigned the poem to all the kids to read, ok. But a six-year old reading her own poem? The school should have told the complaining parent to put a sock in it. And sent their kid to special lessons in tolerance since the parents obviously have deficiencies.
I don't even see the problem with assigning a poem with the word "God" in it. There are SO MANY poems that have that word in it anyway.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
It's sad that on a day to honor military veterans who swore an oath to defend the US Constitution, this school district would choose to violate the First Amendment merely because someone was offended by a 6 year old girl's poem honoring her relatives because it included the word God. Last time I checked, there was no freedom from being offended nor "separation of church and state" in the US Constitution and a child reading her poem does not violate the First Amendment part of the state making a law establishing a state religion or restrict a person's religion, unless they think a 6 year old girl is the US Congress.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I would like to see the entire poem that this 6 year old wrote.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:22 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Liberal here:

Tolerance? The child wanted to honor her grandfather who was a veteran.

You are the intolerant one, since you wish to squash the girl's 1st Amendment rights because you have a phobia about a word.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,377,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Tolerance? The child wanted to honor her grandfather who was a veteran.

You are the intolerant one, since you wish to squash the girl's 1st Amendment rights because you have a phobia about a word.
Say what? Did you even read my post? Obviously not. Or you lack basic reading comprehension skills.

Quote:
You are the intolerant one
Incorrect and pulled out of thin air
Quote:
since you wish to squash the girl's 1st Amendment rights
Incorrect, you failed to read my post - I clearly sided with the little girl
Quote:
because you have a phobia about a word.
Incorrect, and pulled out of thin air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.