Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times

Advertisements

Also the NYtimes has a graph on income distribution which I cannot post since it is an interactive graph.

Where the 1 Percent Fit in the Hierarchy of Income - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

According to the NYtimes the top 0.01 % have incomes starting at $11 million and have an average income of $31 million a year. There are 14,000 such families in the U.S. and they make 5 % of the total U.S. income.

Those in the range of .1 % have incomes starting at $2 million.

Those in the top 1 % have incomes starting at $386,000.

To qualify for the top 10 % a household must make $108,000. There are 13.2 million households like this, and they make an average of $167,000 and make 25 % of the nation's income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. I'm just asking that they pay the same effective federal income tax rate that I do, slightly over 31%. Should be no problem if they're so hard-working and productive.
OK, look at this figure. I don't know what the average income is for the bottom 20 %, but let's assume it's $20,000. To ask them to pay 30.8 % in taxes, the same as the top 1 % is ridiculous, since that would leave them with ~ $13,000 to live on.

Whereas the top 1 % have an average income of $717,000. That's why we have a progressive tax system.

edit: according to Wiki, the bottom 20 % earned less than $19,178 in income.

http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...of-income.html

Last edited by ellemint; 12-04-2012 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 PM

89,057 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
OK, look at this figure. I don't know what the average income is for the bottom 20 %, but let's assume it's $20,000. To ask them to pay 30.8 % in taxes, the same as the top 1 % is ridiculous, since that would leave them with ~ $13,000 to live on.
I agree, and as I said before, let's match the percentage of the federal income tax people pay to the percentage of the income their income group earns. Deal?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
I don't earn millions a year. I don't even earn $1 million a year.
Then it is unlikely that your effective federal tax rate is 31% then, unless you have a terrible tax planner.

But the question was, that's what you want my mom to pay?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
I agree, and as I said before, let's match the percentage of the federal income tax people pay to the percentage of the income their income group earns. Deal?
No, I think 40% for you and 29% for everyone else. That will give you something real to whine about.

We have a PROGRESSIVE TAX SYSTEM, it is the law, deal with it, and stop whining.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Then it is unlikely that your effective federal tax rate is 31% then, unless you have a terrible tax planner.
Not necessarily. My assets are tied up in my business, so I can't shelter my income in any significant way. My tax rate is not uncommon among small business owners. Raising tax rates on us even more is EXTREMELY counterproductive and exactly what you DON'T want to do if you want to stimulate the economy and create jobs, but we all know damn well Obama will do it anyway. Why? Because we have sacrificed, worked hard, and succeeded, and Obama wants revenge for that. He told you all... "vote for revenge."

Quote:
But the question was, that's what you want my mom to pay?
I want everyone to pay a percentage of the federal income tax that matches their income group's percentage of the income. Deal?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
That is already pretty well the case when you take into account all taxes, which is after all what counts.

"In fact, when all taxes are considered, the share of taxes that each fifth of households pays is similar to its share of the nation’s total income. ITEP data show that in 2011, the bottom fifth of households received 3.4 percent of the total income in the nation and paid 2.1 percent of the total taxes. The middle fifth of households received 11.4 percent of income and paid 10.3 percent of taxes. The top 1 percent of households received 21.0 percent of income and paid 21.6 percent of taxes. The tax system as a whole is only mildly progressive."

Misconceptions and Realities About Who Pays Taxes — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. My assets are tied up in my business, so I can't shelter my income in any significant way. My tax rate is not uncommon among small business owners. Raising tax rates on us even more is EXTREMELY counterproductive and exactly what you DON'T want to do if you want to stimulate the economy and create jobs, but we all know damn well Obama will do it anyway. Why? Because we have sacrificed, worked hard, and succeeded, and Obama wants revenge for that. He told you all... "vote for revenge."

I want everyone to pay a percentage of the federal income tax that matches their income group's percentage of the income. Deal?
As a small business person, Obama's tax increases would only have you pay a few additional per cent on the amount of PROFIT (not revenues) you made in excess of $250,000. On the amount under $250,000 you would be taxed at the same rate as you are now.

Small Business tax myths: Most firms are not affected by Obama tax proposals. - Slate Magazine

Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That is already pretty well the case when you take into account all taxes, which is after all what counts.
No, it's not, as the Chairman of the Economics Department at Harvard University found:
Quote:
"Because transfer payments are, in effect, the opposite of taxes, it makes sense to look not just at taxes paid, but at taxes paid minus transfers received. For 2009, the most recent year available, here are taxes less transfers as a percentage of market income (income that households earned from their work and savings):

Bottom quintile: -301 percent
Second quintile: -42 percent
Middle quintile: -5 percent

Fourth quintile: 10 percent
Highest quintile: 22 percent
Top one percent: 28 percent

The negative 301 percent means that a typical family in the bottom quintile receives about $3 in transfer payments for every dollar earned.

The most surprising fact to me was that the effective tax rate is negative for the middle quintile. According to the CBO data, this number was +14 percent in 1979 (when the data begin) and remained positive through 2007. It was negative 0.5 percent in 2008, and negative 5 percent in 2009. That is, the middle class, having long been a net contributor to the funding of government, is now a net recipient of government largess."
Harvard University's Greg Mankiw: Most Americans Are Making A Profit Off Of Government

CBO report cited:
CBO | The Distribution of Household Income and Federal Taxes, 2008 and 2009

Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
[quote=InformedConsent;27212846I want everyone to pay a percentage of the federal income tax that matches their income group's percentage of the income. Deal?[/quote]

We're close to that. Top 1% make about 40% of US income, pay 37% of total.

As for the above, I do not disagree, and the cut I think we need most niether party wants, since Wall St bought both.

The Carried Interest 15% tax bracket is immoral. It is acting like traders income/bonuses coming directly from the employer is an individuals' investment. It is not. That group needs to be taxed as ordinary income, just as the boonuses we recently paid out at work were. In both cases, recipients had ZERO dollars invested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies