Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Okay Frank....what laws, regulations or controls will stop these tragedies?
I am not Frank but I will answer:

the same laws that have stopped people from being murdered, drugs from being used and sold, robberies from being committed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
If only Americans were this outraged over the lives of innocent people we have killed and are killing all over the world!
Exactly

Quote:
And then the government has the audacity to tell me they are going to ban firearms and that institution itself is responsible for MILLIONS of death around that word.

Hypocrites.

I am basically a social democrat and I am to the left of most liberal politicians...and yet I am a strong supporter of the second Amendment. We have a fundamental human right to self defense and the tools there of. Some of the first gun control laws were actually passed to disarm newly freed blacks and make it harder for them to defend themselves from the KKK.

Like Malcolm X said:
"It's time now for you and me to become more politically mature and realize what the ballot is for; what we're supposed to get when we cast a ballot; and that if we don't cast a ballot, it's going to end up in a situation where we're going to have to cast a bullet. It's either a ballot or a bullet."

Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Well, I can't say that guns are causing the problems in the United States. Its really that the United States in general is filled full of angry and crazy people.

It is really the American culture, not the guns. The Swiss have guns, but not the problems in the United States. I don't think crime or murder rates would go up in Japan if they legalized gun ownership.

I think we would do a lot better trying to figure out how to make Americans better people, than obsess about taking away guns.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Probably the best thing to do would be to look at laws in countries that have little to no gun violence. Study their laws and why they are effective. Evaluate these effective laws within the context of the constitutional rights of citizens in the US concerning firearms as well as the existing issues with criminality regarding the use of firearms as weapons.

Attempt to have bipartisan input into these studies and see if any effective compromise can be reached.

Of course we can continue to follow KA Army girl's "throw up your hands because nothing can be done approach" but certainly that isn't going to change the current trajectory concerning frequency of mass shootings.
It is not about the law... It is the mentality of the population. Laws accomplish very little when the people have no morals and regard for other people's lives! The American culture glorifies murder: WAR! WAR! WAR!

Also criminals don't care dear. You can put as many laws in the books as you wish. They will find a way of getting guns. My ex-husband is one of them. He is not legally allowed to own firearms...Guess what, he has 3. All bought in the black market.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Probably the best thing to do would be to look at laws in countries that have little to no gun violence. Study their laws and why they are effective. Evaluate these effective laws within the context of the constitutional rights of citizens in the US concerning firearms as well as the existing issues with criminality regarding the use of firearms as weapons.

Attempt to have bipartisan input into these studies and see if any effective compromise can be reached.

Of course we can continue to follow KA Army girl's "throw up your hands because nothing can be done approach" but certainly that isn't going to change the current trajectory concerning frequency of mass shootings.
Noted.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Ending "gun free" zones and/or public schooling would be a good start.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:04 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
I'm all ears.

Gun control....gun control.....gun control......gun control.
None. And this is coming from me, a liberal.

How about a NUT CHECK for everyone who wishes to own guns? Are you sane enough?

Old 12-15-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
None. And this is coming from me, a liberal.

How about a NUT CHECK for everyone who wishes to own guns? Are you sane enough?
Perhaps you're sane when the background check is performed, but develop problems later.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:08 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Perhaps you're sane when the background check is performed, but develop problems later.
OK, annual NUT CHECKS. Are you of sound and stable mind?

Then, what about the NUTS who don't own firearms, but have access to them? aahhhh, another problemo.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Ending "gun free" zones and/or public schooling would be a good start.
I think that is a fine point, since every single one of these tragedies occur at gun free zones.

Lock on doors instil a false sense of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies