Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I cannot wait to see legislation sail through the House to beef up access to mental health facilities, with absolutely not a single peep from the Tea Party and other rabid conservatives.

As if any of you fondlers (and yes, women can get aroused too, or so I hear ) gave a good goddamn about the mentally ill until you suddenly needed to distract attention from your toys of death and your gun culture that is killing this country. Literally.
Wow, that was a mature response. Um, you really need to get your mind out of the gutter. There's nothing sexual about guns. Stop trying to make it like Hollywood, real life is different. So, you really don't want to have an intelligent discussion and learn anything first? You really are just arguing from a position of emotion and baseless accusations? Then, I can't help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The days of these killing instruments are numbered. Private Equity firms selling their stakes in these merchants of death, Wal-Mart pulling the rifle used to slaughter these kids from its website. Many of us across the political spectrum are going to try very hard to make these weapons obselete in the public sphere.

Cerberus to Sell Gunmaker Freedom Group - NYTimes.com
Thank you Edward....and you're a fellow conservative - am I remembering correctly?

Great to hear from another not controlled by the herd.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
A couple years ago 20 Chinese kids were killed in a similar incident....with a knife.
I don't believe you. Link please.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,530 times
The relationship between school shootings and psychiatric drugs.

At least fourteen recent school shootings were committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs resulting in 109 wounded and 58 killed;

Between 2004 and 2011, there have been over 11,000 reports to the U.S. FDA’s MedWatch system of psychiatric drug side effects related to violence

Old 12-18-2012, 07:45 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
No.

I'm saying that there are 300,000,000 legally owned firearms in the US. There are an unknown number if illegal firearms. You will never collect them all. I will not give mine up. Millions of other owners won't either.

Then what?
The day before any legislation like that is signed there will be millions of reported thefts of guns all over the country. Ooops mine got stolen go find it cops and when you do you can confiscate it.

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
A couple years ago 20 Chinese kids were killed in a similar incident....with a knife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I don't believe you. Link please.
You took the words out of my mouth, KaaBoom.

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Not sure why some of you want to make guns a sexual thing? I'm a female. I own guns, mostly for hunting and skeet. I believe in responsible gun ownership. I really, really want our mental health community to get their crap together and start identifying their patients with violent tendencies (much like doctors must report people with seizures to DMV). Time and again, we find these mass shooters had been well known for their disturbed, violent thoughts and tendencies. Enough.

What I will argue against and what I believe is ridiculous are these people wanting to ban all guns. Also those that have a pretty appalling lack of knowledge of how guns work and types of guns. How can people have such strong views on certain guns when they don't even understand what they're talking about? My suggestion would be learn something before passing judgement. Would allow us to at least have an intelligent conversation about it then.

You want gun owners to have a conversation about guns? Fine, then the people wanting to pass these laws and such need to do their homework otherwise you're speaking from a position of ignorance.
Nobody cares about anyone's extensive knowledge of guns. Most people find it weird and sad that anyone would fixate so much on something designed to kill. It's like the 18 year old down the street who starts mouthing off about the stupid exhaust system on his rice grinder...I couldn't care less about anything in the world than your little hobby. The only thing I care about is when said sad hobby puts my families lives at risk because gun nuts have an insatiable appetite for more and more of this stuff, and they have a powerful lobbying group in Washington supporting them.

I know plenty, by the way, I went through my pre-teen fascination with guns and military hardware..and then I got a girlfriend and grew up. Seems like a lot of gun nuts here never got past the pre-pubescent sexual frustration stage.

When you immediately show outrage that some news anchor called an AR15 and AK15...NOBODY CARES, ITS IRRELEVANT. The fact that people are so fixated on the semantics of their toys is indicative of the problem with the gun fetishists mentality.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
173K out of 300+ million. Looks like your outnumbered.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Nobody cares about anyone's extensive knowledge of guns. Most people find it weird and sad that anyone would fixate so much on something designed to kill. It's like the 18 year old down the street who starts mouthing off about the stupid exhaust system on his rice grinder...I couldn't care less about anything in the world than your little hobby. The only thing I care about is when said sad hobby puts my families lives at risk because gun nuts have an insatiable appetite for more and more of this stuff, and they have a powerful lobbying group in Washington supporting them.

I know plenty, by the way, I went through my pre-teen fascination with guns and military hardware..and then I got a girlfriend and grew up. Seems like a lot of gun nuts here never got past the pre-pubescent sexual frustration stage.

When you immediately show outrage that some news anchor called an AR15 and AK15...NOBODY CARES, ITS IRRELEVANT. The fact that people are so fixated on the semantics of their toys is indicative of the problem with the gun fetishists mentality.
You're suggesting legislation on something but do not want to better understand that which you are trying to legislate? People that own guns, and that's about 70% of Americans by the way, are trying to make you understand that some of these emotional positions will not have the effect people desire. I don't see why that's a bad thing. What I don't understand is why you have no desire to make meaningful legislation if that's what you want? Seems odd to me.

I have tried, multiple times, to have intelligent conversation with many of you on this subject. However, your response is what I get. Tell me again, how am I the one with a 'fetish' as you put it? I suggest we have a well-informed conversation. You suggest I have a 'fetish'. Do you see why I can't take what you say seriously?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You're suggesting legislation on something but do not want to better understand that which you are trying to legislate? People that own guns, and that's about 70% of Americans by the way, are trying to make you understand that some of these emotional positions will not have the effect people desire. I don't see why that's a bad thing. What I don't understand is why you have no desire to make meaningful legislation if that's what you want? Seems odd to me.

I have tried, multiple times, to have intelligent conversation with many of you on this subject. However, your response is what I get. Tell me again, how am I the one with a 'fetish' as you put it? I suggest we have a well-informed conversation. You suggest I have a 'fetish'. Do you see why I can't take what you say seriously?

What knowledge do you have that would change these facts: semi automatic weapons with high capacity magazines create a great danger to human life, and should be banned or severely restricted.

Now tell me how some gun nuts extensive knowledge of the gas fired piston assembly of their AR15/phallic object changes that simple statement in any way that isn't completely moronic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies