Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Nobody is proposing "sensible gun reforms." I see only nut-jobs screaming for all weapons to be banned, or registered (which is the same thing as a complete ban), or taxed out of existence. The knee-jerk irrational hysteria is coming from the anti-gun wackos, not the pro-Second Amendment supporters.
Explain how gun registration is the same thing as a complete ban on guns.

I'm looking out my window and I see hundreds of registered cars taking people to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Every high-school built in Anchorage after 1977 included an indoor gun range to teach students about firearm safety and handling, until the Democrat controlled Congress banned all firearms in schools.

If you are looking for someone to blame in this tragedy, blame the Democrats. As usual, they got it completely wrong.
There is no one to blame except the cowardly sicko himself. Not a party or organization, not objects (guns), not others.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I see plenty of people asking for sensible gun reforms,....
I'd have to disagree, most of the suggestions I have seen are unacceptable.

I can tell you what I don't see from these people suggesting more gun control and that is attacking the root of the problem which is the unstable people in our society freely roaming the street. I've seen suggestions for psychiatric evaluations to own a gun but if you don't have the mental capacity to own a gun you don't belong on the street to begin with.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:20 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Nobody is proposing "sensible gun reforms." I see only nut-jobs screaming for all weapons to be banned, or registered (which is the same thing as a complete ban), or taxed out of existence. The knee-jerk irrational hysteria is coming from the anti-gun wackos, not the pro-Second Amendment supporters.
There was a whole thread discussing what some sensible reforms would be. Some of us tried to give ideas, but there were those there saying "they can take my guns over my dead body".

Both sides are just as pig headed as the other. And those of us trying to meet in the middle are being shouted down by both sides.

Will ANY regulation stop all gun crime? NO, but it may prevent a few, and that is better than nothing.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

I'm looking out my window and I see hundreds of registered cars taking people to work.
Explain how registration would have prevented this? If my understanding is correct these guns would have been registered under Connecticut law. Are you aware Lanza tried to buy guns just days before this happened and was denied?

These things you are suggesting didn't work did they?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In high schools, and middle schools teachers have been beaten by those students. What is going to stop a student from beating a teacher, and taking their gun?

I worked in high schools. These kids had 50+ pounds on me, and many of them were much taller than me. Most females, and many male teachers wouldn't stand a chance.

I guess the teacher could always shoot the kid about to pummel them.
Which is part of why I suggest non-lethal weapons such as tasers, or similar.

If staff has access to fire extinguishers and defibrillators to save lives, why not for something like this scenario as well?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

Simple. You cannot ban something until you know who and how many someone has. Nobody is talking about banning vehicles, but all the fascist wannabes are talking about banning firearms. What better means to ban all firearms than by first requiring the registration of all firearms?

Australia, following Hitler's 1934 example, first required registration of all firearms in 1991. Then in 1997 Australia banned most firearms, and now they knew who owned them.

I will never register any of my firearms, ever.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Did anyone notice that the shooting stopped when the "men with guns" showed up?

I wonder why that is?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd have to disagree, most of the suggestions I have seen are unacceptable.

I can tell you what I don't see from these people suggesting more gun control and that is attacking the root of the problem which is the unstable people in our society freely roaming the street. I've seen suggestions for psychiatric evaluations to own a gun but if you don't have the mental capacity to own a gun you don't belong on the street to begin with.
Then you shouldn't be against these evaluations. How else to find these people who shouldn't own guns? Or are you afraid you wouldn't pass?

Instead of another hundred anti-abortion bills aimed at protecting children who aren't even born yet, I would like to see Conservatives propose one or two to protect those who are already here.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There was a whole thread discussing what some sensible reforms would be. Some of us tried to give ideas, but there were those there saying "they can take my guns over my dead body".

Both sides are just as pig headed as the other. And those of us trying to meet in the middle are being shouted down by both sides.

Will ANY regulation stop all gun crime? NO, but it may prevent a few, and that is better than nothing.
Or it may create new opportunities for nut-jobs, like it did for the Connecticut and Colorado shooters, to kill even more people because of those moronic regulations, like "gun free zones."

Gun Free Zone = Massacre Waiting to Happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies