Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 07:00 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've had two griz. At distance. We tread very lightly in bear country. I've seen waaay more black bear than griz. Maybe a dozen or more.

I can look up the chemical disposition to this spray I use, but it definitely is not capsicum based. It may be a % but not entirely.

I've never had a bear approach with ill intent, either black or griz. Most of the time it is a bears head up, a whiff, and then they are gone. We make sure camp is pretty clean after that.
That was my experience in Montana as well. I saw a dozen black bears for every grizzly. Strangely, in Alaska I have had exactly the opposite experience. I have not had any encounters with black bears in the 22 years I have lived in Alaska, but I have had close to a dozen encounters with grizzlies/brown bears.

All my black bear encounters in Montana ended exactly the same way. We would see each other, and the bear would take off up a tree. They were certainly more afraid of me than I was of them.

I refuse to use any of the camp sites that they have created in Alaska. They are patterned after lower-48 camping sites, which does not provide enough room for camping safely in bear country. My camp is divided into three sections: 1) a sleeping area, where no food is allowed; 2) a cooking area; and 3) food storage area, which is hung between two trees 50 feet apart, at least 15 feet in the air. All three areas are at least 25 yards apart from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
1)the past four years under Pres. Obama have been a non-stop gun buying frenzy. Dealers say that the main limitiing factor when it comes to sales has been not being able to get enough product. Guns last a long time. There are so many guns out there now, it's going to take decades before there is a dent in availability.

2)Sen. Feinstein is already saying that she will exempt over 900 guns from the ban. Frankly, a gun is a gun is a gun. Most of what makes it dangerous resides in the cartridge, not the action type (e.g. semi-auto vs. bolt action) or whether it is colored black. It's like banning Corvettes then expecting that people will no longer be able to drive from LA to SF. They still will, just in a different vehicle. They all get you from point a to point b.

3)In 1934 we effectively banned true assault rifles with the National Firearms Act. Did mass killers say, "Oh noes, I can't get the exact same gun that I seen on TV, the full auto version. Guess I'll just call off my school shooting." No. They just settled for a semi-auto version, and lived their nightmare anyway. Do people seriously think it's going to work any differently this time? A gun is a gun is a gun.

4)The core of the 1994 ban, and the newly proposed ban, is to limit magazines (not "clips" as DiFi continues to erroneously call them) that hold more than 10 cartridges (not "bullets" as she again errouneously continues to call them). This limit is of little import, becase a mass killer can just carry multiple mags, and after 10 shots change to a new mag. With a little practice this can be done very quickly.

Fast Mag Change AR-15 - YouTube

4) Frankly, the assault weapon ban of 1994 was crafted by morons. It banned guns with two or more "assault features." So your gun could have a a bayonet lug or a folding stock, but not both. Either it's too deadly for public consumption or it's not. The "two or more" concept showed that these gun control types are about as intelligent as linoleum tile. It's as if the Volstead Act allowed drinking scotch or vodka, just not both.

Dianne Feinstein, after decades of doing this, still doesn't know the correct terms for what she wants to ban. She once swept a crowd with an AK-47 she was holding (finger on trigger, no less) violating the most basic rules of gun safety.
TonyRogers.com | Sen. Feinstein Warns About Self-Aware Rifles Springing To Life

And as Mayor of SF she had a super-rare concealed carry permit for her .38, claiming that she needed it to protect herself from all the gun nuts.

I suppose it it is possible to get effective legislation from an idiot legislator, but it doesn't seem likely. In many cases they have no idea of what they are trying to ban.

Carolyn McCarthy - YouTube
Listen....no matter how many guns are banned, the criminal will still get guns, plus now, you create a luckrative business for underground gun sales.

Are you familiar with Prohibition? On the night/day, they passed the Prohibition law, the criminals were jumping up and down for shere elation and happiness...why? Because, they were now, going to make boo coo money....why? Because they were going to sell booze illegally underground! Can you digest this?

Our nation, including you, today, are made up of people who do not have the ability to problem solve. We've got a nation of people who want immediate gratification, right now today. They are impatient, and do not know how to think thru, long term effects of any decission they make.

Banning guns and banning gun talks, shoots the sales of guns way up, adding to this, the deplorable way your government is handling our issues and problems today is freaking out a lot of people....

Believe it or not, there are tons of people out there who actually feel and believe, that our country is in for the hugest crash we've ever seen, and are hording and buying guns for protection, b/c when and if that happens...no one in this country will be safe, period.

Need I explain more?

I cannot believe that people out there are so stupid to believe, that taking guns off the market will solve the problems of murders. If a person wants to kill a multitude of people, and believe you me, that person is nuts, he/she is going to find a way, to either get a gun, a bomb, or make a home made bomb....so now what do you do, take all the items necessary to make a bomb or gun off the market to? Like after the Boston Marathon bombing, the stupid jerks took all the pressure cookers off the shelves. Geeze Louise, I cannot believe how utterly stupid Americans are.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:14 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Default Threerun

Ahhhh. Now the ugly serpent rears its head. "Compromise". The wolf in sheeps clothing. Anyone who thinks we can compromise with the disarmament junkies is deluding themselves. Our government is willing to control our food, in order to force is to be good boys and girls. Once they trim a little fat of the Constitution, skys the limit. All in the name of "public good".

Three run, you believe your "sporting arms" are safe. Your lifestyle is not in the crosshairs. Hunting is not in danger. Uh huh. Then, a couple pages back, you post a graphic pic of what your "sporting" arms are capable of. Nice.

Showed us all what a marksman you are, I guess. Impressive. I have attempted to be reasonable in tone with you, but pard, you are losing it! That pic is EXACTLY the kind of graphic image that is used to paint gun owners, "innocent" hunters included, as bloodthirsty lovers of violence and death.

Personally, I can't care how well you can place a shot. I certainly didn't ask for a n image of a deers blown open cranium to prove your prowess.

Yea, go right on thinking your shooting lifestyle is safe. It's just tbe semi auto crowd, like me, tbat they're after. Dealer of death, to all those innocent cardboard targets and steel plates that I am. Wow...just wow!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ahhhh. Now the ugly serpent rears its head. "Compromise". The wolf in sheeps clothing. Anyone who thinks we can compromise with the disarmament junkies is deluding themselves. Our government is willing to control our food, in order to force is to be good boys and girls. Once they trim a little fat of the Constitution, skys the limit. All in the name of "public good".

Three run, you believe your "sporting arms" are safe. Your lifestyle is not in the crosshairs. Hunting is not in danger. Uh huh. Then, a couple pages back, you post a graphic pic of what your "sporting" arms are capable of. Nice.

Showed us all what a marksman you are, I guess. Impressive. I have attempted to be reasonable in tone with you, but pard, you are losing it! That pic is EXACTLY the kind of graphic image that is used to paint gun owners, "innocent" hunters included, as bloodthirsty lovers of violence and death.

Personally, I can't care how well you can place a shot. I certainly didn't ask for a n image of a deers blown open cranium to prove your prowess.

Yea, go right on thinking your shooting lifestyle is safe. It's just tbe semi auto crowd, like me, tbat they're after. Dealer of death, to all those innocent cardboard targets and steel plates that I am. Wow...just wow!
Personally, I question the mentality of anyone who would keep such a graphic picture and hold it up as a trophy.....

Old 11-08-2013, 12:22 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
When we consider the botched rollout of Obamacare, can you even imagine what a cluster%$#! it would have been had the "Assault Weapons Ban of 2013" had passed? Everyone who owns said weapons would have been required to register them, pay a tax stamp, seek "permission" from their local sheriff to keep the weapon, go through a bunch of paperwork, etc. etc.

If Fed Gov can't even properly create a website with three years time and millions of dollars to do it, imagine what a debacle this would have been.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:47 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Default It's not about gun violence.... It's about disarming the people

DISARMAMENT, even partial, is not for the PEOPLE, but for those who will prey upon the PEOPLE

“Extravagant as the supposition is, let it however be made. Let a regular army,... and let it be entirely at the devotion of the federal government; ... the State governments, with the people on their side, would be able to repel the danger.
Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation,... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the [European] governments are afraid to trust the people with arms...â€
- - - James Madison, Federalist Paper #46.

BANE OF LIBERTY
First Congress Debate On Arms And Militia
What, sir, is the use of a militia? IT IS TO PREVENT THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A STANDING ARMY, THE BANE OF LIBERTY. Now it must be evident, that under this provision, together with their other powers, congress could take such measures with respect to a militia, as make a standing army necessary.

Whenever government mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to DESTROY THE MILITIA, in order to raise an army upon their ruins.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/George_Mason
Mr. Chairman — A worthy member has asked, who are the militia, if they be not the people, of this country, and if we are not to be protected from the fate of the Germans, Prussians, &c. by our representation? I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers. But I cannot say who will be the militia of the future day. If that paper on the table gets no alteration, the militia of the future day may not consist of all classes, high and low, and rich and poor; but may be confined to the lower and middle classes of the people, granting exclusion to the higher classes of the people. If we should ever see that day, the most ignominious punishments and heavy fines may be expected. UNDER THE PRESENT GOVERNMENT ALL RANKS OF PEOPLE ARE SUBJECT TO MILITIA DUTY.
- - - George Mason, Addresses to the Virginia Ratifying Convention (1788)
Now, re-read the second amendment, and realize that the militia were THE PEOPLE - all the people - to be armed so that no standing army under the command of a tyrant could conquer America.

“ It may be laid down, as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every citizen who enjoys the protection of a free government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency.â€
- - - George Washington; "Sentiments on a Peace Establishment" in a letter to Alexander Hamilton (2 May 1783); published in The Writings of George Washington (1938), edited by John C. Fitzpatrick, Vol. 26, p. 289.
EVERY CITIZEN... SHOULD BE ... PROVIDED WITH UNIFORM ARMS.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
Oh all about liberty now? Your liberty...to..do..what?

Buy and sell whatever you want, whenever you want, to whomever you want with no repercussions all in the sake of liberty?

Please. Answer that one. And not with a cut 'n paste or scratch and sniff.

And hey- solid copper ain't preferred for big game here. Got a secret for ya- It 'don't' create a wound channel large enough to stop them. You wound game and you are footin' your butt off to track it.

Try a Barnes X or something. You might find that one round actually does the trick on that monster boar. Hell my broad head stopped them dead. One round. Good wound channel!
It has always been about liberty, and having the ability and means to defend that liberty, And to do what you might ask, to keep and bear arms, arms of my choosing, and to have the right not be infringed upon. end of story...

Please make the case on why I should have my rights limited, all in the name of public safety despite the fact it does not work?

If I sell a car and the new owner gets drunk and plows into a bus stop, should I face any repercussions? I mean after all I sold him the car?

Hey I am not talking about big game in Montana.. and a head shot often stops them, and it was one time with solid cooper..

Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
And lacking in foresight, to say the least. What happens when they ban the gun with the "30 round clip" (actually it's a "magazine" as any gun owner should know). Then the next mentally ill shooter uses a semi auto with a 10 round mag, and wears a vest full of mags. So we ban those. Then bolt gun with a 3 round mag. So we ban those. Finally we're left with single shots, whereupon somebody takes a pair of Thompson contenders into an elementary school and calmly shoots away, reloading between shots, and daring any teacher to charge him knowing that while he reloads one of his single shot guns, the other one is still fully loaded. So we ban single shots too.
That has happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I see it, you see it, many of us see it. For some reason though, even as the writing is on the wall, a few don't see it. I think their problem is that they are under the impression that the congressmen and woman who propose these types of bills actually want to do some good, that they are in fact not "coming for our guns"

They take everything government officials say at face value and do not look any deeper. I think the problem is that some just can't conceive a reality where their most basic squirrel guns get targeted for a ban.

That is exactly what will happen if we allow it. We have audio recordings of lawmakers who admit as much when they thought their mics were off. It's just a shame that some are so blind.
Leave those in sleep who do not know..

For everyone gun owner like him, their are tens maybe hundreds who see the light.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Personally, I question the mentality of anyone who would keep such a graphic picture and hold it up as a trophy.....
Awww... Did that picture bother you all? But I guess it's okay for others to post images of dead kids and burning buildings in this thread. That's okay, I took it down for you folks. Don't want to scar anyone with a one shot one kill photo. Especially seeing as though I didn't have to resort to a 30 rd clip of copper clad ammo to get the job done. I don't want to tarnish the image of a real sportsman using only the most sophisticated of armament to harvest game. Never mind the fact that deer was dead before it hit the ground.

Maybe this is better? Humanely dispatched hogs with a .38 to the head. I made sure to post a pic after their heads were cut off and hides scraped so as not to offend anyone.

Maybe my pal shooting his boar with an SA .44 mag Vaquero? See- no blood. And only one shot!

Or my dispatching a rabid fox with my Matthews bow? (I used two just to make sure).

Which one is okay? Maybe the kids mowed down in Newtown?

Which standard do I apply?..

Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Awww... Did that picture bother you? But I guess it's okay for some to post images of dead kids and burning buildings in this thread. That's okay, I took it down for you folks. Don't want to scar anyone with a one shot one kill photo. Especially seeing as though I didn't have to resort to a 30 rd clip of copper clad ammo to get the job done. I don't want to tarnish the image of a real sportsman using only the most sophisticated of armament to harvest game.

Maybe this is better? Humanely dispatched hogs with a .38 to the head. I made sure to post a pic after their heads were cut off and hides scraped so as not to offend anyone.

Maybe my pal shooting his boar with an SA .44 mag Vaquero? See- no blood. And only one shot!

Or my dispatching a rabid fox with my Matthews bow? (I used two just to make sure).

Which one is okay? Maybe the kids mowed down in Newtown?

Which standard do I apply?..
Yes it is ok, becuase you and people like you have always said "the government has not harmed anyone" "you gun owners are the problems" funny how when the all powerful government has kill more kids at Waco you want to change the subject..

You are mad that others are nit playing by your wants and rules..I plan to hunt all the time with an AR platform it is a modern rifle.

Drills have changed

And so have trucks.

Why shouldn`t rifles?

That is your ace in the hole when you are in a jam unable to defend against history, facts, logic, reason, and realty, "The kids of Newtown" I sir pity you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies